Archived Topic

Alteraction (Minor) in Church This Morning

by 1967cougar · 11/1/2009

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
So I'm waiting for Sunday School class to start and happened to mention to someone that my favorite team yesterday (Wyoming) let me down. I had to explain that my 2nd favorite team every weak is whoever is playing the Tards. I got bombarded with this can't-we-all-just-get-alongism and pull for the "State's" team. I told them that in my mind, the USU Aggies were the "State's" team, or SUU, or UVU. or Weber, but certainly not the Tards. I calmly said that the U was "Satan's Team." Of course, I was off the deep end by now but it was getting everyone's ire up. I started hearing about all the RMs that attend there and I countered with Sunday practices. They countered with the Institute building. I countered with Evolution being a required course. It was all good fun for most of us then one ignorant Sister said, "Then how come most of the prophets went there." I really love that one. So I stood up and started telling how even prophets as recent as President Gordon B. Hinckley didn't have the financial option to drive the old family jalopy 40 miles over bad roads each day of the school year. Transportation wasn't like it is today and, if it were, all the Prophets would have gone to BYU. By now I'm being called an unreasonable radical. So I launched into a tirade asking "Where do BYU's Presidents come from these days? Oh my, they are General Authorities. The last two non-GA Presidents of BYU, what are they doing now? Oh my, they are in the Quorum of the Twelve. The last two Presidents of the U, where are they and what are they doing?" Since they didn't have any answers, they told me to sit down and shut up - class needed to start.



It was a good way to start a class. I know I certainly feel better.
S
Schmoe
Haha, "can't we all just get along?" Sure, you just forfeit what you believe and go along with what I believe, then we'll get along just fine. Otherwise, just shut up, we'll all get along better if you don't ask if we can all just get along!
G
Guest
Very nicely done.
S
Sammich
This type of exchange with your ute buddies (or even ute non-buddies) is great. This type of exchange in Sunday school---I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe it's completely harmless, but I can see it being interpreted as self-righteous to those who don't usually participate in smack talk between the schools, and I also see the potential for convincing some fence-sitters to root for the wrong team for the wrong reasons.



Isn't that mostly who fills the stands at rice-eccles in November, people who aren't really fans of the u but just cheering against BYU? It is their fault for being offended, but let's not encourage them, either.
1
1967cougar
Duly noted, Sammich. Although the ones who really get irritated over the holier-than-thou attitude are the Yewtskis and it's just so much fun to see their 30 IQ brains trying to work at a 40 IQ level and come up with a response which they are totally incapable of doing because it requires innovative thought and clear speech.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Sammich wrote:
Isn't that mostly who fills the stands at rice-eccles in November, people who aren't really fans of the u but just cheering against BYU?


No, that's all of who fills the stands at rice-checkles :lol:
S
Sammich
1967cougar wrote:
Duly noted, Sammich. Although the ones who really get irritated over the holier-than-thou attitude are the Yewtskis and it's just so much fun to see their 30 IQ brains trying to work at a 40 IQ level and come up with a response which they are totally incapable of doing because it requires innovative thought and clear speech.

Right, and it's all fine in a setting where your audience is comprised of utes. Then irritating them is not only okay, but required.
C
CougarClaw
contention: bad

altercation : vindicating



it's all how you spin it
B
BoiseBYU
And here I thought you were talking about some exciting stuff around the altar...
A
ABYUFAN
1967cougar wrote:
"Then how come most of the prophets went there."


In the future you may try the line of "That's why they're still on the earth." All of their friends with the same level of spirituality who went to BYU have already been translated; however these poor guys were to be "left behind" by the lord, so he sent them to the U.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.