Archived Topic

Who to believe?

by SpiffCoug · 12/19/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
Reports that they hadn't spoken, in the middle of the season, part of which he was the starting QB just made no logical sense. To me tie goes to the guy associated with BYU.
J
jonnylingo
Harmon was Jake's view of it, this was Doman's. I imagine it was somewhere in the middle. Neither is going to paint it in a way that makes themselves look bad.
C
CougarClaw
well let's see:



Doman: I stopped talking to heaps, I tried ignoring him, I let him call all his own plays and pretty much sabotoged his career however I could.



yeah. That doesn't sound right either.
G
Gunk
Heaps was used to getting a truck-load of 1:1 time with Doman. They were best buds!



Suddenly, Doman had a whole offense to coach and new starting QB. There's only so much time in the day and that 1:1 attention decreased, leaving Heaps feeling like he lost his best bud.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I'll believe the 35 year old talking directly to the media over a 20 year old talking to the media via a paid publicist any day of the week.
C
Cougs_Rule
Hit pigeons flutter.

Takes two to tango.

Isn't one of them supposed to be the parent and take the high road? Hmmmm, ON that note, I am thinking Jake needs more of a paternal figure than Doman could reasonably provide. And like Gunk said, when Doman had to worry about the whole family, not enough time for Jake. But in all fairness to Doman, at some point, I believe Jake was, yes, going to do things his own way or his advisors way and Doman had to cut bait or fish...find a better rising tide, eh Bib?

If Jake went in and started complaining about not getting his job back, Doman had to move on. His career was not too far from being seriously questioned.

Ya, I can reasonable sometimes. :-).
D
Dwight
As soon as the team landed in Hawaii, Jake entered his room and didn't come out until he had to. This implies a breakdown of communication with the entire team that would be mostly his doing. I can see that he was stuck in a difficult situation.



College is a great time to find yourself and become your own man. How do you do that when you've got a few leashes around your neck. I fear that he is being deprived of what he needs most. The best friends you make are those that grow into adulthood with you. I hope he doesn't have a midlife crisis when he is 45. Poor guy has no idea what he has missed out on at BYU.



He needs to shed the PR guy and take a few steps away from his family for the rest of his college experience. Get some room to grow up. It's not too late. It would make him a better football player as well.
C
Cougs_Rule
Step away from his wife to? How about his parents who are going through ALOT as well?

I agree in principle with what you are saying, but A lot of tough curves for that kid in the last six months.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Heaps was used to getting a truck-load of 1:1 time with Doman. They were best buds!



Suddenly, Doman had a whole offense to coach and new starting QB. There's only so much time in the day and that 1:1 attention decreased, leaving Heaps feeling like he lost his best bud.

This is the most logical explanation.



Personally I do think there was a breakdown in communication. I do not think there was a riff that led to it. I think Jake felt the silence more than it was there because he was used to hearing Doman all the time.



I don't think the situation was as dire as Jake's version has implied, nor do I think it was as "rosy" as Doman is saying. But I do think it was very fixable, had both parties wanted to fix it. One party clearly didn't want to, and simply wanted out. So they left.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
After reading Doman's whole interview, this statement stood out the most and I believe goes the farthest in explaining the "communication breakdown" :


I think the transition from going from the starter to the backup, and the amount of volume of time that it is spent on the starter is hard. I don't blame him for not liking it very much.


What I read into that is that a kid who has been the center of attention and the primary focus of his QB coach and OC since he was a freshman in high school was, for the first time in his life relegated to a lower tier on the list of priorities. Compared to what he was used to over the course of his football-playing life, the reduction in attention received must have felt like a drought and like he was abandoned, when in fact he was just getting at least the same amount of attention and focus as any other backup QB, if not more.
S
Stirfry
snoscythe wrote:
I'll believe the 35 year old talking directly to the media over a 20 year old talking to the media via a paid publicist any day of the week.


Has Heaps said anything about this to the media with or without a publicist? All that I've seen is Harmons story and Jay Drew's story and neither of them backed up their "facts". I haven't seen anywhere that quotes Heaps saying they weren't talking. Did I miss it?
S
SpiffCoug
Harmon's story came from the Heaps camp.
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
I'll believe the 35 year old talking directly to the media over a 20 year old talking to the media via a paid publicist any day of the week.


Has Heaps said anything about this to the media with or without a publicist? All that I've seen is Harmons story and Jay Drew's story and neither of them backed up their "facts". I haven't seen anywhere that quotes Heaps saying they weren't talking. Did I miss it?


Here is Heaps "interview" with his personal QB coach who is also his advisor and the guy who was contacting other schools in November to test the waters for Heaps transfer. The "interview" was released to his personal QB coaches' blog before BYU even had time for their official press release:



http://northwesteliteindex.com/articles/taylor/dec11/heaps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L
Lawboy
Who to believe? I believe Jake's actions. He is leaving. Something clearly happened, whether real or perceived. We can speculate all we want, or even if we know things, it all really does not matter. Jake is leaving, and BYU is moving on as well.



I just hope BYU staff learned what they needed to so we do not see a repeat of it.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Lawboy wrote:
Who to believe? I believe Jake's actions. He is leaving. Something clearly happened, whether real or perceived. We can speculate all we want, or even if we know things, it all really does not matter. Jake is leaving, and BYU is moving on as well.



I just hope BYU staff learned what they needed to so we do not see a repeat of it.

Agreed.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
Who to believe? I believe Jake's actions. He is leaving. Something clearly happened, whether real or perceived. We can speculate all we want, or even if we know things, it all really does not matter. Jake is leaving, and BYU is moving on as well.



I just hope BYU staff learned what they needed to so we do not see a repeat of it.

Agreed.


+2 I always wanted out of this what was best for BYU and at this point it doesn't matter if we think it was Heaps or Nelson. Now I just hope the coaches, team, and Heaps have learned what they could from this and are better for it in the future. Here's to pulling for Riley and praying that Lark can do more than just hurdle supply tables on the sideline (which was awesome). 8)
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Who to believe? I believe Jake's actions. He is leaving. Something clearly happened, whether real or perceived. We can speculate all we want, or even if we know things, it all really does not matter. Jake is leaving, and BYU is moving on as well.



I just hope BYU staff learned what they needed to so we do not see a repeat of it.


And that would be?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
THey didn't enroll Jake in the Bibster kick fanny leadership school, OF COURSE! :lol:
L
Lawboy
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Who to believe? I believe Jake's actions. He is leaving. Something clearly happened, whether real or perceived. We can speculate all we want, or even if we know things, it all really does not matter. Jake is leaving, and BYU is moving on as well.



I just hope BYU staff learned what they needed to so we do not see a repeat of it.


And that would be?


Ask the coaches. But I suspect it would be a lesson that Bronco has already talked about--do not play true freshman QBs. Redshirt them, let then sit another year, then roll them out.



For those that caught that message, it could apply specifically to one Taysom Hill. He will redshirt in 2012, and per Bronco, will be preferred to sit in 2013, then start in 2014. That leaves 2013 as a year for Munns, unless some other kid wins it that fits Bronco's prereqs.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.