Archived Topic

Apo Attitude (warning may contain some anti-heaps sentiment)

by CougarClaw · 12/19/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Apo as quoted by Drew: " Even if I had a rough season, I don't think I would ever leave here. I love this place"



I wonder if the players have any idea how they can endear themselves to fans this way. Perhaps that's because a lot of us feel the same way about BYU. There's just a love for the institution. The mountains, the walkways, the classes, the people and especially the Game-day atmosphere.



Heaps was ready for all of that to embrace him (remember when he was caught sneaking into the stadium at night?) but apparently wasn't ready to embrace it himself. Apo's decision to stay has to do with more than football. Not only do we respect that, we identify with it. Jake, on the other hand, gave us a try but since he couldn't make him work, he's rejecting a core part of what makes a BYU fan love their team: the place. That doesn't even seem to factor in for him and that's a subtlety of what makes his leaving hard for fans.



Now, part of me will always hope he figures things out , but the real problem is he still takes himself wherever he goes.



Anyways, here's to hoping the coaches can bring more great talent and attitude like Apo to Provo. I LOVED hearing this quote from him, not because I was terribly worried about his leaving but because I loved the affirmation that you can play for the school or not play for the school, and still love it.
L
Lawboy
Apo played and performed pretty well all yea when healthy. Jake didn;t. Their situations are different.



End of day, I think Jake should have stuck it out, but I think he got some poor advice. HE is 20. the people advising him are not. His choice, put I think we have all known people who make poor decision based upon poor advice that they bought completely.
I
IowaCougar
It seemed to me that Apo's performance improved toward the end of the year. Fewer dropped passes. He looked good at Hawaii. I think he has a bright future at BYU.
C
cougarnerd
IowaCougar wrote:
It seemed to me that Apo's performance improved toward the end of the year. Fewer dropped passes. He looked good at Hawaii. I think he has a bright future at BYU.


He's going to rival Cody someday.
S
SpiffCoug
cougarnerd wrote:
It seemed to me that Apo's performance improved toward the end of the year. Fewer dropped passes. He looked good at Hawaii. I think he has a bright future at BYU.


He's going to rival Cody someday.

They're both going to make our QBs look very good the next two years that they're together. What better way to break in a new QB in 2013 than by throwing to a senior Cody Hoffman and junior Ross Apo.
Advertisement
C
cougman
Hoffman AND Apo are both the studliest studs of all studliness. They both rule and from my perspective did not disappoint one bit this year.



Whoever is chucking them the ball the next 2-3 years is lucky. Another reason that adds weirdness to Jake's decision.
J
jonnylingo
I am seriously excited about apo, hoffman, and falslev for 2012. why it took so long for falslev to take over for mckay i will never know. very exciting receiving core.



excited for that weeks kid and houk as well. hopefully they will take apo and hoffman's place when they move on.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
I am seriously excited about apo, hoffman, and falslev for 2012. why it took so long for falslev to take over for mckay i will never know. very exciting receiving core.



excited for that weeks kid and houk as well. hopefully they will take apo and hoffman's place when they move on.


McKay was the highly touted recruit. Falslev was the walk-on hard-working guy.



It's obvious that Bronco prefers high ranked recruits to actual on field production! ;)
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
I am seriously excited about apo, hoffman, and falslev for 2012. why it took so long for falslev to take over for mckay i will never know. very exciting receiving core.



excited for that weeks kid and houk as well. hopefully they will take apo and hoffman's place when they move on.


McKay was the highly touted recruit. Falslev was the walk-on hard-working guy.



It's obvious that Bronco prefers high ranked recruits to actual on field production! ;)


touche!
B
BerliNY
cougman wrote:
Hoffman AND Apo are both the studliest studs of all studliness. They both rule and from my perspective did not disappoint one bit this year.



Whoever is chucking them the ball the next 2-3 years is lucky. Another reason that adds weirdness to Jake's decision.


Srsly, where can Jake possibly go that:

1) Has an open(ish) QB position

2) AND has two WRs of the size/quality/talent of Apo and Hoffman

3) AND has a O line that can give him the time he needs.



Answer: I don't know of any and I'd be surprised if he found one.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
CougarClaw wrote:
Apo as quoted by Drew: " Even if I had a rough season, I don't think I would ever leave here. I love this place"



I wonder if the players have any idea how they can endear themselves to fans this way. Perhaps that's because a lot of us feel the same way about BYU. There's just a love for the institution. The mountains, the walkways, the classes, the people and especially the Game-day atmosphere.



Heaps was ready for all of that to embrace him (remember when he was caught sneaking into the stadium at night?) but apparently wasn't ready to embrace it himself. Apo's decision to stay has to do with more than football. Not only do we respect that, we identify with it. Jake, on the other hand, gave us a try but since he couldn't make him work, he's rejecting a core part of what makes a BYU fan love their team: the place. That doesn't even seem to factor in for him and that's a subtlety of what makes his leaving hard for fans.



Now, part of me will always hope he figures things out , but the real problem is he still takes himself wherever he goes.



Anyways, here's to hoping the coaches can bring more great talent and attitude like Apo to Provo. I LOVED hearing this quote from him, not because I was terribly worried about his leaving but because I loved the affirmation that you can play for the school or not play for the school, and still love it.

I posted on a thread earlier that the team has basically moved on. I think Jake ostracized himself. My opinion here; Jake didn't have the team first attitude that Riley had and EVERYONE started to recognize that. Jake had packed his bags a long time ago.
Y
Y 4 Ever
BerliNY wrote:
Hoffman AND Apo are both the studliest studs of all studliness. They both rule and from my perspective did not disappoint one bit this year.



Whoever is chucking them the ball the next 2-3 years is lucky. Another reason that adds weirdness to Jake's decision.


Srsly, where can Jake possibly go that:

1) Has an open(ish) QB position

2) AND has two WRs of the size/quality/talent of Apo and Hoffman

3) AND has a O line that can give him the time he needs.



Answer: I don't know of any and I'd be surprised if he found one.


Does he really have #3 at BYU?
G
Gunk
BerliNY wrote:



Srsly, where can Jake possibly go that:



3) AND has a O line that can give him the time he needs.



Answer: I don't know of any and I'd be surprised if he found one.


Me neither...I don't think there are any O-lines out there that can give Heaps the 10 seconds he needs to go through his progressions, pick a target without giving away to the defense who the intended target is, and deliver a ball with the right velocity and accuracy needed for the receiver to get their hands on it.
B
BerliNY
Y 4 Ever wrote:
cougman wrote:
Hoffman AND Apo are both the studliest studs of all studliness. They both rule and from my perspective did not disappoint one bit this year.



Whoever is chucking them the ball the next 2-3 years is lucky. Another reason that adds weirdness to Jake's decision.


Srsly, where can Jake possibly go that:

1) Has an open(ish) QB position

2) AND has two WRs of the size/quality/talent of Apo and Hoffman

3) AND has a O line that can give him the time he needs.



Answer: I don't know of any and I'd be surprised if he found one.


Does he really have #3 at BYU?


#3 is a trick question. The O line gives Riley the time that he needs but that's because a) Riley doesn't need nearly as much time as Jake and b) the O line (and the rest of the team) plays a lot harder for Riley than for Jake.



I guess to answer your question, Wisconsin doesn't even have an O-line that could give him enough time, but not because of the quality of the O-line.
C
Cougs_Rule
BerliNY wrote:
Hoffman AND Apo are both the studliest studs of all studliness. They both rule and from my perspective did not disappoint one bit this year.



Whoever is chucking them the ball the next 2-3 years is lucky. Another reason that adds weirdness to Jake's decision.


Srsly, where can Jake possibly go that:

1) Has an open(ish) QB position

2) AND has two WRs of the size/quality/talent of Apo and Hoffman

3) AND has a O line that can give him the time he needs.



Answer: I don't know of any and I'd be surprised if he found one.


Good for Apo. He had to cut ties weeks ago. And I'm sure he was getting lots of questions and needed to draw a line in the sand.



I think you left a few criteria off the list:

4) he doesn't have to scramble to save his life;

5) has an offensive line who can actually hold a pocket for 3.5-5 seconds (i guess thats redundant with 4)

6) Has an OC who actually has run a pro-set and is very comfortable doing so.



NOt blaming everybody else other than Heaps, but gotta create a full perspective. And maybe that place doesn't exist. BUt I think it does.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Come to think of it, there are many teams in the NFL like this. Steelers have a pretty immobile back with WR's who can catch a bullet. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Come to think of it, there are many teams in the NFL like this. Steelers have a pretty immobile back with WR's who can catch a bullet. ;)

Yes, but that QB is both accurate and efficient.



On the season Big Ben is .643 completion percentage and his PER (by the college formula) would be: 144.40.



Doman would love to have a pretty immobile QB who was that accurate and efficient.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.