Archived Topic

Heaps - Charlie Weis - Dayne Crist - Kansas

by Cougarbib · 12/19/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Will Heaps beat out ND transfer Dayne Crist and save Kansas football?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Who cares? Let KU fans worry about that.
C
Cougarbib
I may have read recently that Crist gets to play immediately with 1 year only.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I may have read recently that Crist gets to play immediately with 1 year only.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Crist is a senior with one year to play, but since he has already graduated he doesnt have to sit out a year.
S
snoscythe
Shouldn't the first question be: "Will Jake Heaps go to Kansas?"
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
I thought South Carolina was the school looking good to hm? Kansas? My estimation is that they will win less than half the games that BYU will win over the next three years. At least he should be home for Christmas every year if he does choose KS.
U
UliUli79
imuakahuku wrote:
I thought South Carolina was the school looking good to hm? Kansas? My estimation is that they will win less than half the games that BYU will win over the next three years. At least he should be home for Christmas every year if he does choose KS.


+1
S
SpiffCoug
imuakahuku wrote:
Kansas? My estimation is that they will win less than half the games that BYU will win over the next three years.

Kansas may win half as many games over the next three years as BYU wins next year.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Shouldn't the first question be: "Will Jake Heaps go to Kansas?"

lol
C
Cougarbib
The Des News reported that both Heaps and Crist are being recruited by Weiss? It said Heaps is visiting this weekend. Hence - there must be some interest. I was surprised having previously heard speculation about U, USC, USC2, UW, WSU, UCLA, and everyone but Kansas, to hear of this. It seems that his expectations may be getting adjusted already.



And if he can take KU to a Big 12 Championship and BCS Bowl - then I would say he finally has started to reach his elusive potential.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Except how would his expectations already be adjusted? He would be going to play for Weiss. Certainly he must be thinking who can best prep him for the NFL--whether any of us would agree with that coach and location or not. Look at Locker for that matter. NOt sure most CC poster thought he was even draft worthy.

So, again, it would be about Jake. He's still following his dream and aspirations. BYU fans may not like that he was all about Jake, but it is his M.O.
Y
Y12
I will seriously question Heaps' intelligence if he goes to KU.



Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn's current roles in the NFL is enough for me to not give Weiss 2 seconds consideration.



If heaps goes to KU he will be lucky to get a free agent contract.
S
SpiffCoug
Weiss has shown he's as good at getting QBs to the NFL as Doman. Both produced two roster QBs in the NFL, but neither has produced a real starter or star QB in the NFL yet.



I think Heaps could have gotten to the NFL at BYU, as easily as at Kansas.



DM is certainly correct that it will be up to Jake. And like he said, Jake's M.O. is all about Jake. There is certainly no team in Jake.
Y
Y12
SpiffCoug wrote:
Weiss has shown he's as good at getting QBs to the NFL as Doman. Both produced two roster QBs in the NFL, but neither has produced a real starter or star QB in the NFL yet.



I think Heaps could have gotten to the NFL at BYU, as easily as at Kansas.



DM is certainly correct that it will be up to Jake. And like he said, Jake's M.O. is all about Jake. There is certainly no team in Jake.


Forgive me for disagreeing.



Weis' two quarterbacks at ND saw their draft stock take a nose dive.



Doman's QBs have had their stock rise. Max Hall beat out the same Derek Anderson who Brady Quinn couldn't beat out in Cleveland.



Spin it any way you want, but if I was aspiring for an NFL future, I would stay away from Weis as far as I could.
T
trueblue72
dmcougar wrote:

So, again, it would be about Jake. He's still following his dream and aspirations. BYU fans may not like that he was all about Jake, but it is his M.O.


I should have broke this news earlier. I heard about this KU visit on Friday from a member of the Heaps family and when I questioned as to why he would think about going with Weis who hasn't won very much; and his QB's over the last 5 years between Clausen at ND and Brantley at Florida have been less than spectacular; this person's response was "It's not about winning, it's about getting ready for the NFL". This response told me all that I need to know about why he didn't succeed at BYU, with our coaching staff you better be a team player or you will be out of place.



With Crist coming in to KU and giving Heaps a redshirt year with a Senior QB, I don't see why he wouldn't go there. I'm curious to know what will happen with him if he doesn't make the NFL. Will it be Weis' fault or still Doman's fault?
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I'm curious if...



Is Heaps like how Bronco M was, before Bronco transferred to Oregon St.?



Bronco choosing Oregon St was because they were on BYU's schedule. He felt like he had something to prove. Since Lavell didn't offer him a schollie. It was his mission to beat BYU.



I know KU isn't on our schedule, but I'm sure revenge was on Heaps mind to a certain degree.



Some things we'll never know...
C
Cougs_Rule
BigCougsFan wrote:
I'm curious if...



Is Heaps like how Bronco M was, before Bronco transferred to Oregon St.?



Bronco choosing Oregon St was because they were on BYU's schedule. He felt like he had something to prove. Since Lavell didn't offer him a schollie. It was his mission to beat BYU.



I know KU isn't on our schedule, but I'm sure revenge was on Heaps mind to a certain degree.



Some things we'll never know...


not bad conjecture. And maybe Jake with a chip will get him over the edge he couldn't seem to get this year around here.

Im sure Riley had an extra chip on his shoulder to beat USU--given the rough fan treatment he took from up there when he committed his traitorous, back-stabbing, unthinkable, quitter-ous, self-promoting, self-advancing act. But, I'm guessing, Riley's beneficence, affords him forgiveness and credit for transferring out of such a horrible, academically inferior program (not failing to mention that horrible football program they have up there) so that he could have a better University on his transcript so he can fulfill his dream of becoming a doctor.

This is not diss'ing on Riley at all.

Good for him, he advanced and improved himself and is making the most of his football experience here at BYU. Credit to the guy. He really did practically save this season and this program from some serious descent.

If my memory serves me correct, didn't Riley start for awhile as a freshman at USU and then get replaced?
S
SpiffCoug
Y12 wrote:
Weiss has shown he's as good at getting QBs to the NFL as Doman. Both produced two roster QBs in the NFL, but neither has produced a real starter or star QB in the NFL yet.



I think Heaps could have gotten to the NFL at BYU, as easily as at Kansas.



DM is certainly correct that it will be up to Jake. And like he said, Jake's M.O. is all about Jake. There is certainly no team in Jake.


Forgive me for disagreeing.



Weis' two quarterbacks at ND saw their draft stock take a nose dive.



Doman's QBs have had their stock rise. Max Hall beat out the same Derek Anderson who Brady Quinn couldn't beat out in Cleveland.



Spin it any way you want, but if I was aspiring for an NFL future, I would stay away from Weis as far as I could.

Fair points. I was just trying to say that both Weis and Doman have put two QBs in the NFL with limited success once there.
C
CougarClaw
trueblue72 wrote:

So, again, it would be about Jake. He's still following his dream and aspirations. BYU fans may not like that he was all about Jake, but it is his M.O.


I should have broke this news earlier. I heard about this KU visit on Friday from a member of the Heaps family and when I questioned as to why he would think about going with Weis who hasn't won very much; and his QB's over the last 5 years between Clausen at ND and Brantley at Florida have been less than spectacular; this person's response was "It's not about winning, it's about getting ready for the NFL". This response told me all that I need to know about why he didn't succeed at BYU, with our coaching staff you better be a team player or you will be out of place.



With Crist coming in to KU and giving Heaps a redshirt year with a Senior QB, I don't see why he wouldn't go there. I'm curious to know what will happen with him if he doesn't make the NFL. Will it be Weis' fault or still Doman's fault?


Great share. very revealing.



How can you be getting ready to go the NFL and not have winning as one of your goals. That's all the Not For Long League is. If you don't win every position battle, every game, every year, you're in danger of being replaced.
L
Lawboy
Heaps to Kanasa makes sense to me. He will get to play against solid competition in a physical league, and that is the seasoning that he needs most. Being on the Kansas team playing against KState, OU, OSU, Texas, etc week after week will improve him game. It will force him to get better in the pocket too, and Weiss will run a pro style offense as well. If he does not end up there, I will be surprised at this point. Seems like a good fit for him.



By the way, KU has 1 BCS Bowl game. From the Big XII. We have 0. So they may lose more games, but maybe not. Clearly, they can win. They proved it already.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.