Archived Topic

The Future is very Bright!!!

by cougarsunited · 12/17/2011

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
I am so excited about BYU basketball. I think we have a great chance to win the WCC and get past the first round in the tourney, with deeper trips in years to come.



What a game today, proud to be a Cougar.
F
frdbtr
cougarsunited wrote:
I am so excited about BYU basketball. I think we have a great chance to win the WCC and get past the first round in the tourney, with deeper trips in years to come.



What a game today, proud to be a Cougar.




Just my opinion since I haven't seen any of the teams ahead of Baylor but that team is legit. I think they are better then their ranking. All those bigs were not just big inside but were hitting nothing but net on 18 foot and 3 point jumpers. That team is legit. BYU took them to the wire and with a couple breaks wins the game. BYU should get into the top 25 on a loss....course that won't happen.
Y
Yndian
This should give the guys a ton of confidence going into conference play. We're not going to see another team like that this year.
Y
Yndian
The 8-3 start to the year makes you appreciate all the more how amazing last year was, when we had 27 wins before we got to our third loss.
B
BerliNY
Yndian wrote:
The 8-3 start to the year makes you appreciate all the more how amazing last year was, when we had 27 wins before we got to our third loss.


So far we're 8-3 during a rebuilding year and we haven't lost a game that we weren't "supposed" to lose. With next year's roster: Davies, Haws, Carlino, Austin, Winder, Harrison, Rogers, we could be very very good. Heck, if Rogers had been able to go I think we probably would have won (i.e. not gone on that awful cold streak during the early stages of the second half).
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
We should start wearing shades to to the games.
G
golong
I am not yet sold on Rogers, he's as much a liability as an asset, so I'm not convinced we'd done better with him in, might have done worse against these guys.
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
We should start wearing shades to to the games.


Surely not at night games though right?
B
Brayden Green
If we would have had Carlino in from day one, we don't lose this game, and I don't think we lose any others.



Not saying we run the table or anything, but Carlino won't turn the ball over as much in the future, and he will get used to the offense and the other guys will get used to him.



Also, Carlino's zone defense leaves a teensy bit to be desired. Some of those slightly open 3's in the last part of the game game from his zone.



I think we roll through the WCC, with maybe a loss or two (maybe), and find ourselves dancing towards the end of the year.
S
SpiffCoug
Well, at least we're keeping our expectations low for an RS freshman after one game.



Let's see how other teams defend him now that they've got some film on him.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If we would have had Carlino in from day one, we don't lose this game, and I don't think we lose any others.



Not saying we run the table or anything, but Carlino won't turn the ball over as much in the future, and he will get used to the offense and the other guys will get used to him.



Also, Carlino's zone defense leaves a teensy bit to be desired. Some of those slightly open 3's in the last part of the game game from his zone.



I think we roll through the WCC, with maybe a loss or two (maybe), and find ourselves dancing towards the end of the year.


Carlino brings what we were missing from the team: someone that can create and score off the dribble.



He takes care of the ball a bit better than Cusic, but I agree his defense needs some serious work. He's not putting up 30 pts a night so he needs to play defense. But all of our guards struggle on defense. I think I may have missed Emery more today than Jimmer.
S
SpiffCoug
Carlino had some really bad turnovers - four yesterday. He had his pocket picked clean a few times. He was good, but he needs to do better - and he will. It was his first game in nearly two years.
C
Cougs_Rule
Carlino's fundamentals look good as a point, but he just got careless and it cost us. So, I do think he cleans that up. And, against other teams that don't have monsters in the paint, it will be interesting to see him take it to the rim to see if he has that triple threat. He certainly has the shot, the crossover, and the pull up, we'll see against a patsy this week.

Dick Harmon called him an "alpha-dog" on a team that needs one. Not sure I agree given the threat to disrupting offensive flow and spreading the ball around. But can't fault him taking it to the opponent in a BIG game as a frosh.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.