Archived Topic

Future Opponents?

by scott715 · 11/1/2009

Advertisement
S
scott715
Who would you schedule assuming that you can get an agreement? Do 1 for 2 or do you have any other ideas?



BYU has said they will not do a 2 for 1 deal. What about a 1 for 1 with a game at a neutral site? Kind of like the game with Oklahoma?



It seems that is really hard to get a deal with BCS teams. Who do we schedule? ASU and Washington have backed out of deals.



Tulune and Northern Iowa just don't do it. Here are some feasable ideas:



Notre Dame

Navy (RPI 34 and looking for matchups)

Kansas St

Houston

Stanford (they did a deal before)

Tulsa



I guess anothe strategy would be to take the rpi ratings and start at the top and go down and until you find someone.



With TCU and Utah on the schedule, 3 top 60 games can work if we can't get a top 25 team.



On a side note, the bottom of our conference need games that they can win instead of against BCS team. Losing those games hurts us where winning records are better. The BCS teams schdule a lot of Divsion II games to just get wins and to be bowl elibilble.
G
Guest
Never ever do another 2 for 1.



My dream schedule would be to try to get more mid-western teams on the schedule, from the patsies to the big names. No more pac10.
S
Schmoe
I'd take Navy and Houston in a heartbeat. I'd take Notre Dame and K St. with some reservation (situations where you can get screwed by officials or where they cancel a return trip). I'd stay away from the PAC-10 because they've proven to be cheating sacks of crap.
W
Wickchad
I would take a 2 for 1 with Notre Dame. They play here first, we play there, and the third year they get to be the home team in the Alamo Dome.



Any big name school that agrees to a 1 for 1 I would require them to play in Provo first, like FSU did. Then they can't back out of a trip to Provo.



I do not want to see any Pac 10 team on the schedule. That is getting old and we are likely to play them in the bowl game.



Would love to see some Big 10 teams like Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa.
J
jonnylingo
What would playing someone like houston do for us. lose lose there.



I would schedule the best teams you can. 2 for 1 or not, who cares. The more big games the better.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.


No one fears the utes though.



Except those seals in alabama.
A
ABYUFAN
I would love to see us play anyone and everyone from the Big 10.
M
mormonrasta
declocoug wrote:
The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.


No one fears the utes though.



Except those seals in alabama.


They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.
S
Schmoe
mormonrasta wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.


No one fears the utes though.



Except those seals in alabama.


They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.


But when talking about scheduling it doesn't matter what others' perceptions SHOULD be, it only matters what they are. And if teams are more scared to play us than the Utes, then we will have a harder time scheduling opponents regardless of how well each team has actually played OOC.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
declocoug wrote:
The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.


No one fears the utes though.



Except those seals in alabama.


They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.


But when talking about scheduling it doesn't matter what others' perceptions SHOULD be, it only matters what they are. And if teams are more scared to play us than the Utes, then we will have a harder time scheduling opponents regardless of how well each team has actually played OOC.




You don't think the national perception right now is Utah>BYU? I do. Honestly, I don't think this is a teams are afraid to play BYU issue. I think this is a money issue. I doubt BYU is offering the kind of cash necessary to attract big time teams to Provo.
A
AmmonCougar1
I tend to agree with 'Rasta that the national perception is utah>BYU right now. I'm not sure if money is the factor or if it's just risk. I see any game by a Bc$ conference team (esp. those near/at the top of their conference) as a lose/lose against Non-Bc$ teams. Even the lower tier Bc$ teams, other than perhaps exposure if they beat a ranked non-Bc$ team have not much to gain by scheduling us.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
L
Lawboy
Perhaps FSU and TCU did BYU a favor, and some teams might be more willing to come to Provo now, eh? We can hope so, because the air of invincibility in Provo is gone, isn't it.
S
Schmoe
Yes, right at this very moment, Utah is ranked ahead of BYU, but on a consistent, yearly basis (and during the offseason when most scheduling is done) I think that other teams are more afraid to schedule BYU than Utah.
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
Yes, right at this very moment, Utah is ranked ahead of BYU, but on a consistent, yearly basis (and during the offseason when most scheduling is done) I think that other teams are more afraid to schedule BYU than Utah.


When on a consistent yearly basis has BYU been better than Utah in nonconference play?



Not in the last 5 years (2005-2009) BYU 14-9 vs. Utah 18-5



Not in the previous 5 years before that (2000-2004) Utah 16-7 vs. BYU 12-14
Advertisement
W
wazzucoug97
I'd love a Home and Home with Iowa. My wife's family lives just north of Iowa City and most are Hawkeye fans. Would love to travel to that game.
I
Italics
I can agree that right now the national perception is that Utah>BYU... and obviously Utah's track record over the past decade has been more impressive than ours (it's hard to argue with two undefeated seasons and two BCS bowl victories). However, regardless, the national perception overall will always tend to give BYU more credit and respect. It's the same reason why teams like Oklahoma can be 3-3 and ranked in the top 25... respect and prestige... and when it comes to those two things, BYU always has and most likely always will lead Utah. We have a much larger name for ourselves. Utah were considered nobodies until their recent success.
M
Mars


Just about any time BYU and Utah have equal records, BYU is ranked higher. Almost every preseason, BYU is ranked higher. That says it pretty well.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.