Archived Topic

Rank top 15 BYU QBs

by hawkwing · 12/16/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
So inspired from another thread, rank your top 15 or 10 or whatever QBs, include what point you would consider legendary, amazing, great, good etc. whatever labels you want to call them.



ie.



Good

15.......

14.......

13.......

Great

12......

....

Legendary

5.....

4.....

3.....

2.....

1.....
S
SpiffCoug
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.
R
runbyu1
Detmer

McMahon

Beck

Hall

Young

Sark

Bosco

Nielsen

Wilson

Doman

Walsh

Feterik
M
Mingjai
I generally group the QBs into tiers, though if I were to rank them, this would how I'd do it:



Elite

1. Detmer

2. McMahon

3. Young



Great

4. Sarkisian

5. Beck

6. Bosco

7. Hall

8. Doman

9. Walsh

10. Nielsen

11. Wilson



Good

12. Hancock

13. Feterik

14. Carter

15. Sheide
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
I generally group the QBs into tiers, though if I were to rank them, this would how I'd do it:



Elite

1. Detmer

2. McMahon

3. Young



Great

4. Sarkisian

5. Beck

6. Bosco

7. Hall

8. Doman

9. Walsh

10. Nielsen

11. Wilson



Good

12. Hancock

13. Feterik

14. Carter

15. Sheide


This is the list. I might quibble about the sequence in a few spots but these are the top 15. Walsh could have been where you have him or higher had he not left a year early in his failed atempt to get to the NFL. I drop him down to 14 or 15 for that reason. Carter was a different era and they didnotpass as much back then - he goes higher. Had a nice NFL career too. He has to go with above Doman, Nielsen and Wilson. Carter, Wilson, Nielsen, Doman.



Young, MAC. Detmer. Mac would go first, but shortened NFL career. I am factoring post BYU accomplishments into all of my sequencing.
A
a1247
SpiffCoug wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


IMO you are extremly wrong on one spot. You have Feterik on your list ahead of Doman. Doman had one of the best senior seasons since Detmer. His passing and play making abilities were so much better than Feterik.

Feterik was the starter only because he was one of Chows guys. He wasnt even the best QB in the program when he "won" the starting job. The better QB was Drew Miller who transfered to Montana after he got shafted by Chow. He wasnt good at any one thing and he was a horrible leader. Do you not remember his last bowl game? I cant remember if it was against Marshall or Tulane but he stunk it up and then sat on the bench crying for himself. I'd have Carter and Shiede ahead of him. Hell I would take Hancok or even Covey over Feterik. He is by far my least liked QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
1--Detmer

2--Young

3--McMahon

4--Hall

5--Wilson

6--Bosco

7--Nielsen

8--Beck

9--Doman

10-Sark

11-Sheide

12-Carter

13-Feterik

14-Nelson

15-Hancock



Yeah, that's Riley at #14. I know, it's still kind of early to give him this, but I think he has become the full package in the last several games. I am certain that he would have beaten Texas, Utah, and TCU if he had played as the starting QB against them. Including Riley is my way of making a not-so-bold prediction: Riley will belong in the top 15 after next season if he avoids injury. And, Riley has become more and more bodacious each game. That Hawaii game convinced me, especially after watching the Furious Monkey highlights.



Nielsen, Feterik, Hancock, had their careers shortened by injury. Doman and Bosco had theirs inhibited towards the end by shoulder problems, AC separations, I think. Hancock and Doman might have been higher had they been started earlier, but came in late as replacements for others injuries. Sean Covey might have made this list if he had not had his bell rung too many times (same thing that happened to Feterik). I know Ryan Hancock did not play for that many games, but I thought He was a real gamer, and he beat Joe Paterno in Provo. Too bad about his knee. Walsh was good enough for this list, but he peeks in from just outside, because I didn't like his attitude. McMahon gets a bit of a pass for his bad attitude, because he was a gamer and a leader on the field, like Detmer.



Others that I thought were good enough to deserve more opportunity than they were afforded, meaning, they were behind others on the position roster, were Hancock (before the injury--he was a recent convert to football off the baseball team), Doman (should have been the starter the year before, in hind-sight),and brothers Mike and Tom Young. Tom came in after Hancock's knee, and was number four after the season began with injuries to Walsh, then Clements. Tom played well enough to beat Kansas in the bowl game that year. Kansas came from behind to win. Finally, Heaps. Heaps had not yet become the complete package, but probably would have, had he stayed. But he quit on BYU, even though he will not have any further starting advantage oryears to play as the starter anywhere else.
S
SpiffCoug
Sorry. Doman was an omission. I'd put him at number 10 on my list. I'm also not as high on Young as others. He had one great season. That's not enough to be elite. Young's NFL career clouds over his college career. While great, it wasn't elite - in my opinion. I think you needed to be better over more than just one year.
A
a1247
BOID wrote:
1--Detmer

2--Young

3--McMahon

4--Hall

5--Wilson

6--Bosco

7--Nielsen

8--Beck

9--Doman

10-Sark

11-Sheide

12-Carter

13-Feterik

14-Nelson

15-Hancock



Yeah, that's Riley at #14. I know, it's still kind of early to give him this, but I think he has become the full package in the last several games. I am certain that he would have beaten Texas, Utah, and TCU if he had played as the starting QB against them. Including Riley is my way of making a not-so-bold prediction: Riley will belong in the top 15 after next season if he avoids injury. And, Riley has become more and more bodacious each game. That Hawaii game convinced me, especially after watching the Furious Monkey highlights.



Nielsen, Feterik, Hancock, had their careers shortened by injury. Doman and Bosco had theirs inhibited towards the end by shoulder problems, AC separations, I think. Hancock and Doman might have been higher had they been started earlier, but came in late as replacements for others injuries. Sean Covey might have made this list if he had not had his bell rung too many times (same thing that happened to Feterik). I know Ryan Hancock did not play for that many games, but I thought He was a real gamer, and he beat Joe Paterno in Provo. Too bad about his knee. Walsh was good enough for this list, but he peeks in from just outside, because I didn't like his attitude. McMahon gets a bit of a pass for his bad attitude, because he was a gamer and a leader on the field, like Detmer.



Others that I thought were good enough to deserve more opportunity than they were afforded, meaning, they were behind others on the position roster, were Hancock (before the injury--he was a recent convert to football off the baseball team), Doman (should have been the starter the year before, in hind-sight),and brothers Mike and Tom Young. Tom came in after Hancock's knee, and was number four after the season began with injuries to Walsh, then Clements. Tom played well enough to beat Kansas in the bowl game that year. Kansas came from behind to win. Finally, Heaps. Heaps had not yet become the complete package, but probably would have, had he stayed. But he quit on BYU, even though he will not have any further starting advantage oryears to play as the starter anywhere else.






Um I hate to be the one to point this out to you but Riley was the starting QB against TCU. He had 3 turnovers in the game. Im not sure he would have made much of difference in the Uath game either, the frUtes were playing on another level on that day. Come on is Riley really going to make a 44 point difference on that day?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
He would have made a seven point difference in the first ten seconds.
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
He would have made a seven point difference in the first ten seconds.

To be fair, the Utes first TD came 1:02 into the first quarter which is 62 seconds in. It came on a bad snap on 3rd & 13.
T
tww
BOID wrote:
1--Detmer

2--Young

3--McMahon

4--Hall

5--Wilson

6--Bosco

7--Nielsen

8--Beck

9--Doman

10-Sark

11-Sheide

12-Carter

13-Feterik

14-Nelson

15-Hancock



Yeah, that's Riley at #14. I know, it's still kind of early to give him this, but I think he has become the full package in the last several games. I am certain that he would have beaten Texas, Utah, and TCU if he had played as the starting QB against them. Including Riley is my way of making a not-so-bold prediction: Riley will belong in the top 15 after next season if he avoids injury. And, Riley has become more and more bodacious each game. That Hawaii game convinced me, especially after watching the Furious Monkey highlights.



Nielsen, Feterik, Hancock, had their careers shortened by injury. Doman and Bosco had theirs inhibited towards the end by shoulder problems, AC separations, I think. Hancock and Doman might have been higher had they been started earlier, but came in late as replacements for others injuries. Sean Covey might have made this list if he had not had his bell rung too many times (same thing that happened to Feterik). I know Ryan Hancock did not play for that many games, but I thought He was a real gamer, and he beat Joe Paterno in Provo. Too bad about his knee. Walsh was good enough for this list, but he peeks in from just outside, because I didn't like his attitude. McMahon gets a bit of a pass for his bad attitude, because he was a gamer and a leader on the field, like Detmer.



Others that I thought were good enough to deserve more opportunity than they were afforded, meaning, they were behind others on the position roster, were Hancock (before the injury--he was a recent convert to football off the baseball team), Doman (should have been the starter the year before, in hind-sight),and brothers Mike and Tom Young. Tom came in after Hancock's knee, and was number four after the season began with injuries to Walsh, then Clements. Tom played well enough to beat Kansas in the bowl game that year. Kansas came from behind to win. Finally, Heaps. Heaps had not yet become the complete package, but probably would have, had he stayed. But he quit on BYU, even though he will not have any further starting advantage oryears to play as the starter anywhere else.


Yeah, was it Mike Young who sat behind Lindsley? Whoever made that decision was out of there mind or smoking something. Every time Young would come in the game went into hyper speed and he lit it up, then they would take him back out and put in Lindlsey who telegraphed so badly and had such a slow crappy release that grandma could make the adjustment and intercept his lame ducks. Mike Young might be the best BYU QB to never have a shot due to politics or who knows what.



My list is



1. Jim McMahon

2. Steve Young

3. Ty Detmer

4. Steve Sarkesian

5. Robby Bosco

6. John Beck

7. John Walsh

8. Max Hall

9. Mark Wilson

10. Virgil Carter

11. Brandon Doman

12. Gifford Nielsen

13. Gary Sheide

14. Blaine Fowler

15. Ryan Hancock
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


hypothetically if riley went undefeated this year and took byu to its first bcs bowl and then won against a quality oppoenent (not the big east or acc champ) would that put him above max?
Advertisement
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


hypothetically if riley went undefeated this year and took byu to its first bcs bowl and then won against a quality oppoenent (not the big east or acc champ) would that put him above max?


I would say yes, that would put him in the top 3.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


hypothetically if riley went undefeated this year and took byu to its first bcs bowl and then won against a quality oppoenent (not the big east or acc champ) would that put him above max?


I would say yes, that would put him in the top 3.


Not that I agree with eveyrthing Hawk has had to say lately - but spot on. Top 3. Maybe #1 for BYU carer only. It is NFL career that truly separates Young and to an extent, McMahon although even his BYU records got him national recognition that is remembered outside of the faithful wearing blue goggles.



A BCS Bowl win - but not in the nc game will not be remembered as much or as long as a BCS NC win - but then nobody outside of BYU could name Robbie Bosco either.



It takes the Super Bowl RIng or an untainted Heisman trophy to get in there with Jim and Steve on the big stage outside of Provo.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


hypothetically if riley went undefeated this year and took byu to its first bcs bowl and then won against a quality oppoenent (not the big east or acc champ) would that put him above max?


I would say yes, that would put him in the top 3.


I would absolutely agree with that. in my book that would make him a byu legend.
J
jonnylingo
Cougarbib2 wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I said football at BYU began with Lavell. Although honorable mention should be given to Eldon Fortie and Virgil Carter. They were kind of like the founding fathers and they played such a different game than we currently see.



The best of the best: McMahon & Detmer.



I don't think anyone has approached those two. They were the best and were the best the longest. Others were good, but not great for as long.



The very good: Hall, Sark, Young, Bosco, Beck, Nielsen, Wilson



The good: Walsh, Feterik.



That's it. If I had to rank them it would be thus:

1. McMahon

2. Detmer

3. Hall

4. Sark

5. Young

6. Bosco

7. Beck

8 . Nielsen

9. Wilson

10. Walsh

11. Feterik



If I had project where Riley could finish, I think his upper limit is 4.


hypothetically if riley went undefeated this year and took byu to its first bcs bowl and then won against a quality oppoenent (not the big east or acc champ) would that put him above max?


I would say yes, that would put him in the top 3.


Not that I agree with eveyrthing Hawk has had to say lately


:lol: :P uh huh. :love: :love:
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib2 wrote:
It is NFL career that truly separates Young and to an extent, McMahon although even his BYU records got him national recognition that is remembered outside of the faithful wearing blue goggles.


Don't forget that Young was the Heisman runner-up in 1983. I think many people think many remember Young for having an okay college career and an excellent second-half of a pro career. It's as if his LA Express/Tampa Bay Bucs rubbed off on how we view his college days. While Young developed into an elite passer as a 49er, he was still an excellent QB his senior year.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.