Archived Topic

BYU Basketball Report this week??

by beauso79 · 12/13/2011

Advertisement
B
beauso79
Any word on how Carlino is running the offense this week in practice?? If he is??
S
scott715
He is doing finals. Not much practice this week. But there should be a whole year of practice to see how ready he is. I expect growing pains so I would not expect too much at first.
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
He is doing finals. Not much practice this week. But there should be a whole year of practice to see how ready he is. I expect growing pains so I would not expect too much at first.


Willing to bet we don't see him start on Sat.
B
beauso79
Looks like CC's surgery went well. Could be back in 3 to 6 weeks



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Gunk wrote:
He is doing finals. Not much practice this week. But there should be a whole year of practice to see how ready he is. I expect growing pains so I would not expect too much at first.


Willing to bet we don't see him start on Sat.


I'd be willing to take that bet. Did you see Winder and Cusick against the Utes? (Especially Winder)



At least Carlino can make a wide open shot. I like Winder, but he's been an Oh-fer the last 3-4 games. Against the Utes he couldn't hit anything.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
It sounded like Matt Carlino will be given some minutes on Saturday, but not starting, and Rose will respond based on his output. I think on the Rose KSL program last night that Dave was pretty clear on the fact that Carlino will be more "eased" into the lineup and given the opportunity to earn whatever minutes he gets.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm glad that between Winder and Cusick we seem to have found some level of acceptable production from the PG position that we don't need to thrust Carlino into the starting role right away.
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:
It sounded like Matt Carlino will be given some minutes on Saturday, but not starting, and Rose will respond based on his output. I think on the Rose KSL program last night that Dave was pretty clear on the fact that Carlino will be more "eased" into the lineup and given the opportunity to earn whatever minutes he gets.


What a novel concept.
B
beauso79
BlueIsBetter wrote:
scott715 wrote:
He is doing finals. Not much practice this week. But there should be a whole year of practice to see how ready he is. I expect growing pains so I would not expect too much at first.


Willing to bet we don't see him start on Sat.


I'd be willing to take that bet. Did you see Winder and Cusick against the Utes? (Especially Winder)



At least Carlino can make a wide open shot. I like Winder, but he's been an Oh-fer the last 3-4 games. Against the Utes he couldn't hit anything.


Remember when Rogers couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the first like 8 games last year?? Rose has stated that during practice Winder is a shooter and he's scored in bunches in high school so it's just a matter of time before they start falling for him. I think it would be a good idea for him to see some time at the 2. That may help his shot because that's more of his natural position. Plus, how do we know Carlino can hit an open jumper yet??
Q
Qman
beauso79 wrote:



Remember when Rogers couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the first like 8 games last year?? Rose has stated that during practice Winder is a shooter and he's scored in bunches in high school so it's just a matter of time before they start falling for him. I think it would be a good idea for him to see some time at the 2. That may help his shot because that's more of his natural position. Plus, how do we know Carlino can hit an open jumper yet??


For the same reason we know anything about Winder. Carlino his shots in high school. His stroke looked good in the blue and white game. I am confident in team Carlino will be able to shot well. It might happen from the beginning.



Rogers is a special case though. He never has strength to easily adjust to D1 basketball. Carlino and Winder have the bodies to adjust more easily.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Most of the scoring I have seen from Winder has come from alley oop / dunking / layup type plays. I haven't seen him score much from the outside, aside from what he has done here.



Shot well a few games, and has shot torridly for the same stretch.



Utah's defense was - literally - double the post and give Winder a wide open shot. That was their entire D when he was in the game. Carlino can make shots, and he has done that at every level.



I like Winder. I really do. But to think that Carlino doesn't have an opportunity to step in and run with the starting spot is just silly. The door is more than halfway open, and my guess is, that he takes it, and never looks back. Maybe Winder can push Abuou and Harrison at the 2 spot, especially with Abuou sliding down to the 3 with Rogers out.



I'm excited to see him play.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.