Archived Topic

Norm Chow DESPERATE to get off Utah staff [exaggeration]

by hawkwing · 12/13/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
Sitake is also scrambling to get out of the program. Looks like hard times are coming to the kids up North.
U
Ungoy
I wouldn't be able to help but laugh hysterically if both Chow and Sitake took off... I hope it happens.
F
frdbtr
I wouldn't mind seeing Sitake on BYU's staff, though I doubt it would happen. He is a really good coach.
U
Ungoy
frdbtr wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sitake on BYU's staff, though I doubt it would happen. He is a really good coach.


I'd like to see Sitake repent of his :utard: ways as well. He really is a great coach. It won't happen, but it would be great to have him in Provo.
Advertisement
U
UliUli79
I find it a little strange that Chow can't seem to find a home that he's happy with. Is he a "grass is greener" kind of coach or is he just not the offensive genius everyone keeps claiming? Give me something more than the :utard: just suck and nobody wants to be there.
N
northerncougar
UliUli79 wrote:
I find it a little strange that Chow can't seem to find a home that he's happy with. Is he a "grass is greener" kind of coach or is he just not the offensive genius everyone keeps claiming? Give me something more than the :utard: just suck and nobody wants to be there.


Norm wants to be a head coach. That is why he left BYU and what has been the driving force for him since then. That is the only reason he has moved so many times.
U
UliUli79
northerncougar wrote:
I find it a little strange that Chow can't seem to find a home that he's happy with. Is he a "grass is greener" kind of coach or is he just not the offensive genius everyone keeps claiming? Give me something more than the :utard: just suck and nobody wants to be there.


Norm wants to be a head coach. That is why he left BYU and what has been the driving force for him since then. That is the only reason he has moved so many times.


I'm trying to remember, but didn't he turn down some hc jobs along the way? Also, I would think that with the love he seems to get from sports media he'd be highly sought as an hc (especially with the high turnover rate there is in college hc jobs). Is he just after a specific job?
S
SpiffCoug
frdbtr wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sitake on BYU's staff, though I doubt it would happen. He is a really good coach.

Bronco would never hire him. He hates Polynesians. 8)
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sitake on BYU's staff, though I doubt it would happen. He is a really good coach.

Bronco would never hire him. He hates Polynesians. 8)


I can't believe I didn't think of that. :whistle: ;)
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I wouldn;t call wanting to make hte leap from Coordinator to HC desperate to want to get off the staff. I;d call it wanting to improve your current situation. BUt if you define it that way, I'd love BYU to have coaches that are desperate to leave and be HC's elsewhere because it means they are great coaches and in demand.



Not seeing that at all this year, so wonder what it says? Inexperienced.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Looks like Norm Chow is begging Hawaii to take him on as the head coach. Anything to get off the Utah staff.



http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=135495743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawk



Don't let Ute or PAC envy cloud your objectivity. Note that coaches "desperate" to get out of Texas, Baylor, an NFL team and others also applied.



It is a head coach gig. His Utah paycheck was heavily subsidized by UCLA severance. That was temporary.



Head Coach = better pay.



Chow is from Hawaii and a legend here.



His daughter lives here.



Promotion, restoration to prior pay level, homecoming, grandkids, does not reek of desperation nor reflect poorly on U or KWhitt. Maybe Chow will stay at Utah and get a big raise.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Chow is a good OC many people have reservations about his people skills as a HC. That is why he has not been a HC. It is possible that he could be successful as a Lavell type coach.
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Looks like Norm Chow is begging Hawaii to take him on as the head coach. Anything to get off the Utah staff.



http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=135495743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawk



Don't let Ute or PAC envy cloud your objectivity. Note that coaches "desperate" to get out of Texas, Baylor, an NFL team and others also applied.


I've learned my headlining skills from Gordon Monson, Jay Drew, and Jason Franchuk. Take an every day story and dramatize it by putting some nasty spin on it.



I'm just having a little fun with the fact that a couple of coaches are looking to go somewhere else.



I hate Utah, I hate everything about them. I don't care if they are in the Pac or Div1aa. No envy here.
K
KYCoug
He's probably close to retiring. He's also made millions in his last few gigs. Gotta wonder why he would want the pressure of being a HC.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
Sitake is also scrambling to get out of the program. Looks like hard times are coming to the kids up North.


I hadn't heard that. What makes you think that?
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
Sitake is also scrambling to get out of the program. Looks like hard times are coming to the kids up North.


I hadn't heard that. What makes you think that?


I heard that his name was also in the discussion for the head coaching job at UH.
N
northerncougar
UliUli79 wrote:
UliUli79 wrote:
I find it a little strange that Chow can't seem to find a home that he's happy with. Is he a "grass is greener" kind of coach or is he just not the offensive genius everyone keeps claiming? Give me something more than the :utard: just suck and nobody wants to be there.


Norm wants to be a head coach. That is why he left BYU and what has been the driving force for him since then. That is the only reason he has moved so many times.


I'm trying to remember, but didn't he turn down some hc jobs along the way? Also, I would think that with the love he seems to get from sports media he'd be highly sought as an hc (especially with the high turnover rate there is in college hc jobs). Is he just after a specific job?


I don't believe he has turned down an offer to an HC, but I believe he has been turned down several times.



Not sure on a specific job, my understanding is he wants to be a head coach, and doesn't care much about where.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Looks like Norm Chow is begging Hawaii to take him on as the head coach. Anything to get off the Utah staff.



http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=135495743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawk



Don't let Ute or PAC envy cloud your objectivity. Note that coaches "desperate" to get out of Texas, Baylor, an NFL team and others also applied.


I've learned my headlining skills from Gordon Monson, Jay Drew, and Jason Franchuk. Take an every day story and dramatize it by putting some nasty spin on it.



.


I believe that I was harshly castigated for doing this by the moderators last year. Just sayin. Personally, I don't care. I think headlines like that are appropriate for message boards.
H
HoosierCougar
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
I find it a little strange that Chow can't seem to find a home that he's happy with. Is he a "grass is greener" kind of coach or is he just not the offensive genius everyone keeps claiming? Give me something more than the :utard: just suck and nobody wants to be there.


Norm wants to be a head coach. That is why he left BYU and what has been the driving force for him since then. That is the only reason he has moved so many times.


I'm trying to remember, but didn't he turn down some hc jobs along the way? Also, I would think that with the love he seems to get from sports media he'd be highly sought as an hc (especially with the high turnover rate there is in college hc jobs). Is he just after a specific job?


I don't believe he has turned down an offer to an HC, but I believe he has been turned down several times.



Not sure on a specific job, my understanding is he wants to be a head coach, and doesn't care much about where.


I don't know of any HC offers made.



Chow had people-skill issues when he was in Provo. Whether they've improved, I don't know. Haven't followed him that closely.



However, it is clear that the lack of people skills was a factor (not the only one) in BYU's decision to look elsewhere when it came time for LaVell to step down. The BYU Administration had just come off the Roger Reid fiasco - another great X/O coach who was a horrible people person. They weren't going to make the same mistake twice.



I wonder whether that decision by BYU has tainted the process in the rest of his attempts to land an HC job.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.