Archived Topic

Which has a better future?

by AmmonCougar1 · 12/10/2011

Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
The football team or the basketball team? I'm talking about current team, current coaching staff, players on missions, and current recruits who have verballed or signed. Also, on may include future schedules but I haven't looked too far into that for basketball so I don't know how well they compare. As hopeful as I am that both do well I see our hoops team as bringing more noteriety to BYU and the Church than the football team.



Thoughts?



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
J
jonnylingo
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
The football team or the basketball team? I'm talking about current team, current coaching staff, players on missions, and current recruits who have verballed or signed. Also, on may include future schedules but I haven't looked too far into that for basketball so I don't know how well they compare. As hopeful as I am that both do well I see our hoops team as bringing more noteriety to BYU and the Church than the football team.



Thoughts?



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


basketball.
S
SpiffCoug
You can go MUCH further by getting ONE recruit.
C
cougman
Our basketball team has won 10 out of 11 and the last 6 against the pukes. That pleases me tremendously and I don't see anything in the future changing that. :D
C
cougarnerd
cougman wrote:
Our basketball team has won 10 out of 11 and the last 6 against the pukes. That pleases me tremendously and I don't see anything in the future changing that. :D

So you only base success against our not-so-much-friends from Salt Lake City? So if in football, you're 1-11, and you're 2-whatever in basketball, you had a successful season, just because you beat them?



That doesn't make sense to me.





I think that football should have more success. With Riley, we're going to have fire, confidence, etc. Plus, football is how the world sees BYU, if they're on the outside looking in.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Basketball for sure. There is no ceiling on this program and they have moved into perennial top 25 territory, all while beating some top teams along the way.



Football, unfortunately, is capped out at these types of mediocre (but 10-win) seasons. Bronco is a good coach who can get the guys to play hard but he sucks against top teams despite the above-average recruiting classes he has gotten.
J
jonnylingo
Bronco has reached his ceiling. Rose hasn't.
S
scott715
Basketball can win the NC.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
Bronco has reached his ceiling. Rose hasn't.


Glad to hear Rose has upside. Maybe in the future we won't lose to rebuilding USU teams we are supposed to beat and won't melt down Vs really good teams like Wisconsin.



Maybe this upside will manifest itself with a big win over Baylor in the Mariott Center on Saturday.



What are you predicting Rose will deliver. Try not to put a bunch of caveats about a young team, loss of key players, key injury, etc., because clearly you have not factored those things into your opinion of Mendenhall.



Maybe we might wonder why we do not already have a point guard contributing and why we continue to lack athleticism.



What I am saying is they both operate within similar constraints and produce similar results.



But in basketball, cupcakes at home are tolerated just fine - or so it seems.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
Basketball can win the NC.

I think they were 1 rebound away from playing for it last year. I think if we grab that rebound against Florida, Jimmer makes the final shot and we keep advancing.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I don't know. I hope Rose stays, but I see him taking a job if the right big name program comes calling.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
My gut says basketball, but it really depends on how you define success.



I think our standards as what counts as "success" are significantly lower in basketball than they are in football. Under Rose, we've had several first round exits, a second round exit, and a Sweet 16 appearance.



By ranking metrics, BYU football has finished 3 times as one of the top 16 programs in the nation, in '06, '07 and '09. Yet I doubt fans took as much satisfaction out of those football seasons as they did out of last year's tourney run.



It seems that Rose's seasons will be deemed a huge success if his team makes it past the first weekend of the tourney. On the other hand, I think some fans are tired of 10+ win seasons under Bronco and won't feel totally satisfied unless his team makes a BCS appearance. I have more faith in the former than in the latter, but I feel like the two programs are held up to disparate expectations.



For what it's worth, though, I DO have more faith in Rose beating great/elite teams than Bronco.
C
Cougarbib
Dcr36 wrote:
My gut says basketball, but it really depends on how you define success.



I think our standards as what counts as "success" are significantly lower in basketball than they are in football. Under Rose, we've had several first round exits, a second round exit, and a Sweet 16 appearance.



By ranking metrics, BYU football has finished 3 times as one of the top 16 programs in the nation, in '06, '07 and '09. Yet I doubt fans took as much satisfaction out of those football seasons as they did out of last year's tourney run.



It seems that Rose's seasons will be deemed a huge success if his team makes it past the first weekend of the tourney. On the other hand, I think some fans are tired of 10+ win seasons under Bronco and won't feel totally satisfied unless his team makes a BCS appearance. I have more faith in the former than in the latter, but I feel like the two programs are held up to disparate expectations.



For what it's worth, though, I DO have more faith in Rose beating great/elite teams than Bronco.


We do have better odds of getting great BB teams to come to Provo. How do you think Rose will do Saturday when Baylor comes in?
B
BerliNY
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I don't know. I hope Rose stays, but I see him taking a job if the right big name program comes calling.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I see this too and I'm VERY worried about what happens to the program if/when he leaves.

Maybe bring Cleveland back?
S
snoscythe
Football. Bronco's shown what he can do with scrubs, and the recruits are getting better. Rose could only get to the Sweet Sixteen with a Naismith Award winner leading the team.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
snoscythe wrote:
Football. Bronco's shown what he can do with scrubs, and the recruits are getting better. Rose could only get to the Sweet Sixteen with a Naismith Award winner leading the team.


Unfortunately he's also shown us what he can do with better talent, and it's worse than he does with the scrubs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
snoscythe wrote:
Football. Bronco's shown what he can do with scrubs, and the recruits are getting better. Rose could only get to the Sweet Sixteen with a Naismith Award winner leading the team.


Davies' transgressions are not his fault. If BD is on the roster we are in the final four with a great chance to play for the NC.
M
mormonrasta
This is a really good/tough question. I think both programs are about on the same plane. I'm really excited about the future of both football and basketball.



If Carlino really is as good as advertised and Austin says healthy, I could see this team going to another sweet 16 or elite 8 this year.



I think the football team is going to have some major growth this year. Our coaches will have another year in their current roles, the freshmen and sophomores will be a year older, and the locker room should be better. The schedule is tougher next year so 10-3 or 11-2 will be the ceiling.
B
Bluma
mizzoucoug wrote:
Basketball for sure. There is no ceiling on this program and they have moved into perennial top 25 territory, all while beating some top teams along the way.



Football, unfortunately, is capped out at these types of mediocre (but 10-win) seasons. Bronco is a good coach who can get the guys to play hard but he sucks against top teams despite the above-average recruiting classes he has gotten.


Football hasn't capped out. Just look at 2006 and consider how close we were to going undefeated. BC - multiple overtimes. Arizona - crappy Pac-10 refs cost us a TD and a special teams turnover. This was Bronco's second year as head coach. He can do it again, and maybe next time those two games turn into wins and we go to a BCS bowl and possible a national championship game. It wasn't like 2006 was the pinnacle of BYU talent. Sure Beck was a good QB, and Brown was good, but we didn't have Collie-like WR and were somewhat lacking in the secondary. If Bronco can assemble another 1984-like roster, we will go undefeated again. It's only a matter of time the way his classes have been coming.



Also 10-win seasons are not mediocre by my definition of the term mediocre.
B
BerliNY
Bluma wrote:
Basketball for sure. There is no ceiling on this program and they have moved into perennial top 25 territory, all while beating some top teams along the way.



Football, unfortunately, is capped out at these types of mediocre (but 10-win) seasons. Bronco is a good coach who can get the guys to play hard but he sucks against top teams despite the above-average recruiting classes he has gotten.


Football hasn't capped out. Just look at 2006 and consider how close we were to going undefeated. BC - multiple overtimes. Arizona - crappy Pac-10 refs cost us a TD and a special teams turnover. This was Bronco's second year as head coach. He can do it again, and maybe next time those two games turn into wins and we go to a BCS bowl and possible a national championship game. It wasn't like 2006 was the pinnacle of BYU talent. Sure Beck was a good QB, and Brown was good, but we didn't have Collie-like WR and were somewhat lacking in the secondary. If Bronco can assemble another 1984-like roster, we will go undefeated again. It's only a matter of time the way his classes have been coming.



Also 10-win seasons are not mediocre by my definition of the term mediocre.


I think next year will be a very telling year for the peaked/not peaked argument for Bronco. The D is going to be stacked, the QB situation will be settled with a senior QB that doesn't have to look over his shoulder, and a solid receiving core. Add to that, Doman will not longer be an OC noob, and the schedule is tough but not impossible: Utes, Boise (w/o Moore), Notre Dame, Utah State could be good too. Bronco has a HUGE opportunity next year IMO, if he takes it, I think he shuts up the doubters for 3+ years. If not, things could get dicey. We'll see.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.