Archived Topic

BYU Announces What Wazzou Announced Months Ago

by snoscythe · 12/9/2011

Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
snoscythe wrote:
BYU to open the season by hosting Mike Leech and the WSU red cougars.



http://byucougars.com/m-football/byu-announces-two-game-football-series-wsu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



BYU returns to verdant Pullman in 2013. Now we're just waiting on the date of the GTech game.


Look for an announcement on the GT game by BYU about 2 months after GT confirms the date.
C
CougarClaw
sadly our 2012 schedule is looking much harder than 2011 did. at least our qb position will be set for as long as Riley is healthy.
D
Dcr36
CougarClaw wrote:
sadly our 2012 schedule is looking much harder than 2011 did. at least our qb position will be set for as long as Riley is healthy.


The duality of independent scheduling - you schedule too lightly, you get 2011. You schedule too heavily, you get next year.



I'm not anticipating an undefeated season next year, but I'm not sure it's as bad as it looks. Remember, 2010 INITIALLY looked tough - Ole Miss, Texas, Utah, UCF, Oregon State, TCU and Hawaii were all big-time games. We didn't know that UCF would go from C-USA champs to non-bowlers despite returning their true freshman QB. We didn't know Ole Miss was going to be a candidate for "worst AQ team in the country." Texas was a totally beatable, middle-of-the-road Big XII team. And so on.



Leach is going to do great things at WSU, but I doubt it's an instantaneous transition. Oregon State should be better next year - but so should we. Boise State isn't going to be Boise State next year. Look at their depth chart - it's like their entire team is graduating.



Home schedule is a little better - still some snooze-fests (Weber, Idaho) but Hawaii, USU, OSU and Wazzu all look like fun. Shame our tougher matchups are on the road.
L
Lawboy
I think sadly is good. I want a tougher schedule. I want 3-4 legit games, 4-5 mid level and 4 dogs each year. BYU said that they want to do as much. This year, we had 3 legit games (Utah, TCU, Texas), 4 mid level games (Ole Miss, Oregon State, UCF, USU) and 6 dogs (Idaho, ISU, NMSU, SJSU, Hawaii).



We need more--and better--high end, a more solid mid level, but the dog games can stay the same. Just no more than 4.
Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
Dcr36 wrote:
sadly our 2012 schedule is looking much harder than 2011 did. at least our qb position will be set for as long as Riley is healthy.


The duality of independent scheduling - you schedule too lightly, you get 2011. You schedule too heavily, you get next year.



I'm not anticipating an undefeated season next year, but I'm not sure it's as bad as it looks. Remember, 2010 INITIALLY looked tough - Ole Miss, Texas, Utah, UCF, Oregon State, TCU and Hawaii were all big-time games. We didn't know that UCF would go from C-USA champs to non-bowlers despite returning their true freshman QB. We didn't know Ole Miss was going to be a candidate for "worst AQ team in the country." Texas was a totally beatable, middle-of-the-road Big XII team. And so on.



Leach is going to do great things at WSU, but I doubt it's an instantaneous transition. Oregon State should be better next year - but so should we. Boise State isn't going to be Boise State next year. Look at their depth chart - it's like their entire team is graduating.



Home schedule is a little better - still some snooze-fests (Weber, Idaho) but Hawaii, USU, OSU and Wazzu all look like fun. Shame our tougher matchups are on the road.


Washington St should be fairly easy--similar to what SJSU gave us. Although consistent, it will be the same result.



I thought Oregon St was a home game in 2012...



Kellen Moore, etc. One word sums it up: PLAYMAKERS.



I expect that we should win all of our home games. If we don't do it under Riley, that shows one of two things:

1. We weren't playing as a team.

2. We were up against too good of a team.




And then Utah...I don't think that we will give up/turn the ball over with Nelson at QB. Also, we had completely shut down White IV in the first half (9 yards on 8 carries)...I think that we can do it the whole time next year.



As a sidenote, I wouldn't at all worry about Nelson's performance, Lark's performance while Riley's down (pretty sure he will), and KVN's performance. Or Cody's. Or Apo's (pretty sure he stays).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.