Archived Topic

UCLA and Bronco

by Cougarpoke · 12/9/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I just read Dick Harmon's tweet that Bronco withdrew his name this morning from the UCLA coaching job. I didn't know he was even being mentioned. Good to know he is still invested in BYU.
C
Cougarbib
Cougarpoke wrote:
I just read Dick Harmon's tweet that Bronco withdrew his name this morning from the UCLA coaching job. I didn't know he was even being mentioned. Good to know he is still invested in BYU.




Good man. I hope BYU never takes Bronco for granted. If UCLA wants a BYU guy - Sark would probably not do it - but imagine how that would stoke the fires across town. Crowton is still available for a HC gig.
G
Gunk
Good move Bronco, and hopefully the powers at be noticed you were being considered.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
Maybe he's a package deal with Heaps??
C
Cougarbib
Just noticed Crowton is trying for the CSU job. Maybe we can schedule them and get some easy wns.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Just noticed Crowton is trying for the CSU job. Maybe we can schedule them and get some easy wns.


I'd love to play some defense against a 7 receiver set.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Just noticed Crowton is trying for the CSU job. Maybe we can schedule them and get some easy wns.

I wonder if part of his pitch is that he'd rather win by nine than by 2?
W
Wickchad
It could have been good timing. Bronco goes to UCLA then Andy Reid gets fired and is available to replace Bronco...
B
BroncoBot
Wickchad84087 wrote:
It could have been good timing. Bronco goes to UCLA then Andy Reid gets fired and is available to replace Bronco...

I have doubts that Reid would even want that position.
S
snoscythe
declocoug wrote:
It could have been good timing. Bronco goes to UCLA then Andy Reid gets fired and is available to replace Bronco...

I have doubts that Reid would even want that position.


I think he meant replace Bronco here at BYU.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:
It could have been good timing. Bronco goes to UCLA then Andy Reid gets fired and is available to replace Bronco...

I have doubts that Reid would even want that position.


I think he meant replace Bronco here at BYU.

Yeah, I know.
F
frdbtr
ABYUFAN wrote:
Just noticed Crowton is trying for the CSU job. Maybe we can schedule them and get some easy wns.

I wonder if part of his pitch is that he'd rather win by nine than by 2?


I like Crowton and wish him luck if he does land the job. He is a good man and wanted to make BYU a national power in the worst way....just didn't work out for him here. My guess is, he still roots for BYU to win even though he got run for doing a bad job here.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Just noticed Crowton is trying for the CSU job. Maybe we can schedule them and get some easy wns.

I wonder if part of his pitch is that he'd rather win by nine than by 2?


I like Crowton and wish him luck if he does land the job. He is a good man and wanted to make BYU a national power in the worst way....just didn't work out for him here. My guess is, he still roots for BYU to win even though he got run for doing a bad job here.


This. He suffered, as did Heaps, from too much hype coming in and never measured up. He overreached in his attempt to skyrocket and lost track of fundamentals of what does and does not work at BYU.



I would find it interesting if he got a shot in Hawaii.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarpoke
An old mission companion of mine lives in Louisiana and was in Crowton's ward. He said Crowton was a very good man and added a lot to the church down there. My old comp is NOT a BYU fan at all, but was super impressed with Crowton and his family. Said Crowton was reluctant to talk about his time at BYU, but said he loved the experience and feels bad it ended the way it did. I am sure Crowton is a good guy and was a decent coordinator...sadly, he was just not the greatest fit for BYU.
S
Screamineagle
beauso79 wrote:
Maybe he's a package deal with Heaps??

Thats bad funny but bad.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Someone needs to mention what a mess the UCLA coaching hunt is. They've moved VERY far down the line on their target list. At this point I can't imagine them making an impressive hire.
B
BroncoBot
Dcr36 wrote:
Someone needs to mention what a mess the UCLA coaching hunt is. They've moved VERY far down the line on their target list. At this point I can't imagine them making an impressive hire.

If I'm UCLA, I go after Crowton, and give him a short contract.
C
Cougarbib
This. The article I read listed two or three including BSU thT said no thanks and didn't even get to Bronco because he probably said no before it ever became a discussion.



Facilities is one issue. USC little brother is another. Never having had a head coach that was not a former player or assistant or both makes some worry how you can come in as an outsider and survive.



They like BYU guys and NewWeasel had a couple of them as assistants before one quit and one was run out of town.



So Walker or Chow - insiders of sorts since they coached there.



TIC, I think.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
This makes me laugh. Is there anyone in the world who has less "LA" in him than Bronco? Stalin maybe, or Keith Stone.
D
Dcr36
Cougarbib2 wrote:
This. The article I read listed two or three including BSU thT said no thanks and didn't even get to Bronco because he probably said no before it ever became a discussion.



Facilities is one issue. USC little brother is another. Never having had a head coach that was not a former player or assistant or both makes some worry how you can come in as an outsider and survive.



They like BYU guys and NewWeasel had a couple of them as assistants before one quit and one was run out of town.



So Walker or Chow - insiders of sorts since they coached there.



TIC, I think.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Since we're questioning if Bronco can cultivate talent out of top ranked recruits, it needs to be said: UCLA's first three recruiting classes under Slick Rick were in the top 15 nationwide. Only last year did the losing finally catch up (#48th).



On top of that, they have four failed Elite 11 QBs to their name, and look like they're about to go 5-for-5 with Richard Brehaut.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.