Archived Topic

What Hypothetically Happend Up In The Stands

by Cougarbib · 12/8/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
First of all IDK - I wasn't there.



So a bunch of Riley Nelson's relatives with no parents around and with Riley being clear down on the field were sitting by a bunch of Heap's relatives. Try not to read too much into it. Even if you were there, you might have missed part of the context of what was going back and forth.



Imagine this very plausible, but hypothetical, scenario.



Most of Nelson's family members would be USU fans first and Riley fans second or vice versa but actually hate BYU.



Probably wearing blue either way but thinking BYU stole their colors - so making sure the USU shows prominently. RIley's little brother had just committed to USU. His dad used to be the Team Physician. His grandfather was basketball coach or AD or something at USU.



Hang with me. This is hypothetical. So let's say, they got a little weary sitting amongst 100% BYU fans in that section and Jake's wife and others going ballistic and disrespectful of USU every time BYU accomplished anything - not very often, I know. Maybe they even observed some rude behavior when RIley came in during the first half on the wildcat and saved a drive and set Jake up for one of his few TDs of the season at that point. Maybe when Jake scored she got real in the face of those USU fans sitting nearby. Keep in mind we are playing USU if that did not get clear yet. Any of you have divided families - extended families that cross over a heated and hated rivalry?



Then, hypothetically, in the late 3rd quarter, Riley comes trotting out and scores a TD and Heaps wife looks and acts annoyed by it all. And then someone who has borne up with boorish behavior to their school - USU - and now is seeing boorish behavior towards their brother or cousin or whatever Riley is - says a regrettable remark.



ironically, at just the time Riley's relative started rooting for BYU by rooting for Riley - Jake's wife started rooting against them - hoping Riley will prove that he really is not a D1 QB. She has heard that at home and especially in early 2010 on dates.



It's football. Fans say things. Smack talk happens. They didn't pour beer on her. It is bad behavior. I do not like it. It is Ute behavior. But it happens. And to assume Riley Nelson has any responsibility for what his sibling or cousin did when no parents were even around and he certainly was not would be as asinine as blaming Jake Heaps for whatever his wife might have been doing to earn a little smack down at the ole ball game.



Have her come sit with me. I am pretty darn quiet and respectful at BYU football games. Oh - I forgot - I was not there.
D
Dcr36
You forgot the part where Nelson's family starts tag-team wrestling against Kyle Whittingham's family over a confiscated cell phone.



Or when they all gang up to protect Lee Cummard's wife.
G
Gunk
Good point. Hadn't thought about how Riley's family was more than likely cheering for USU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
In seriousness, though, as I've said elsewhere - I really don't care about this story. Whatever Riley's family did - it was probably rude and disrespectful. And I could see it being one of several factors in Heaps making a decision. I just hope it wasn't THE reason. That would be an overreaction, to say the least.



I guess we don't know if this was a single, isolated incident, but it if was, it's kind of sad that Jake's wife never went back to LES. In my short, unremarkable sports life, I've definitely been on teams where I knew some people hated me, but it was still a positive experience because I had friends and felt integrated with the rest of the team.



If a cutting remark from another player's family was enough to make Jake's wife feel unwelcome, I think that says a LOT about how non-integrated/aloof Heaps and his circle were from the rest of the team. Did none of the other player's wives take to her? Did she not have a circle of "team friends?"



Of course, there's really no way to assign blame for that.
S
SpiffCoug
Dcr36 wrote:
In seriousness, though, as I've said elsewhere - I really don't care about this story. Whatever Riley's family did - it was probably rude and disrespectful. And I could see it being one of several factors in Heaps making a decision. I just hope it wasn't THE reason. That would be an overreaction, to say the least.



I guess we don't know if this was a single, isolated incident, but it if was, it's kind of sad that Jake's wife never went back to LES. In my short, unremarkable sports life, I've definitely been on teams where I knew some people hated me, but it was still a positive experience because I had friends and felt integrated with the rest of the team.



If a cutting remark from another player's family was enough to make Jake's wife feel unwelcome, I think that says a LOT about how non-integrated/aloof Heaps and his circle were from the rest of the team. Did none of the other player's wives take to her? Did she not have a circle of "team friends?"



Of course, there's really no way to assign blame for that.

When you're looking for reasons to justify decisions you've made (transferring) you don't need good reasons, you just need A reason - no matter how small, or petty or insignificant it may in reality be. You just need A reason to convince yourself that the decision you made is the best/right one.



I think the decision to transfer pretty was made that night when Jake got home and heard how poorly his perceived she was treated. If he felt he wasn't part of the team before that, he wasn't about to change his mind after that. The goose was cooked that night.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Golly. And here I thought I would open this thread and would read "what REALLY happened."

Could you water this down anymore? Exhonerate and minimize anymore?

I haven't seen anybody put this on Riley. Families say stuff. That game was as intense on both the horrible and intensely exciting (at least at the end) as games get.

Riley's stardom really took off--and rightly so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Here's what I think happened--two members of a certain club found themselves on opposite sides of an issue, and Dick Harmon got caught in the middle.



http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375362_10151030452835430_879490429_22252591_639361288_n.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Changing the title of the thread to What hypothetically happened...
S
Sammich
If Riley's family were cheering for USU, and they probably were, then they could have been yelling any number of things just to rile up the BYU faithful (including the player's families). If so it's really unfortunate that anybody took offense at anything they said, because that's exactly what they wanted. There's nothing the Aggie faithful would love more than to make a BYU fan or player cry (a player's wife, even better). This isn't meant as an indictment of Riley's family, but an indictment of the poison that the USU fans believe is fair game to spew when they're playing BYU. I don't even think they think twice about it because that is the culture: hate and denigrate BYU at all costs.



They should change their name to USUtes, because that's what they are now.
I
imuakahuku
SpiffCoug wrote:
In seriousness, though, as I've said elsewhere - I really don't care about this story. Whatever Riley's family did - it was probably rude and disrespectful. And I could see it being one of several factors in Heaps making a decision. I just hope it wasn't THE reason. That would be an overreaction, to say the least.



I guess we don't know if this was a single, isolated incident, but it if was, it's kind of sad that Jake's wife never went back to LES. In my short, unremarkable sports life, I've definitely been on teams where I knew some people hated me, but it was still a positive experience because I had friends and felt integrated with the rest of the team.



If a cutting remark from another player's family was enough to make Jake's wife feel unwelcome, I think that says a LOT about how non-integrated/aloof Heaps and his circle were from the rest of the team. Did none of the other player's wives take to her? Did she not have a circle of "team friends?"



Of course, there's really no way to assign blame for that.

When you're looking for reasons to justify decisions you've made (transferring) you don't need good reasons, you just need A reason - no matter how small, or petty or insignificant it may in reality be. You just need A reason to convince yourself that the decision you made is the best/right one.



I think the decision to transfer pretty was made that night when Jake got home and heard how poorly his perceived she was treated. If he felt he wasn't part of the team before that, he wasn't about to change his mind after that. The goose was cooked that night.




But I think in this case it would be because of what our opposition's fans said and not what BYU fans said. Now that would be a full blown stretch for her to swear off BYU games. I wonder if she went to the Utah game last year. Seems to me that what is said and done at those games by :utard: 's would have had here never wanting to go back to BYU campus let alone a football game.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
What I don't get...

If its true that...

...Alledged shouting family members were in fact family and not friends;

...And if given it is the fam section, it is probably safe to assume they got tickets from Riley;

Why is Riley bringing obnoxious USU-oriented and cheering fans into the players family section at Cougar stadium?

I was ready to absolve him of blame bc family will be family and the qb contro has been ugly. But why can't his fam cheer for byu?

The Sitake fam, previously loyal blue-bloods all cheer for red now bc Kilani coaches red.

As bad as it sounds, again if DH's story has any truth to it, I would rather it be about a heated qb contro than Riley schleppin with the usu freaks and having them cheer against the other qb AND against byu.

But then again, usu fans almost eclipse ute fans these days.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Changing the title of the thread to What hypothetically happened...


The title was fine. My point was that nobody knows what really happened and why. I am pretty sure I made it clear I was not there and do not know.



My issue is with DH. Normally, I find him to be responsible, balanced, and fair. Maybe the change in ownership at Deseret News is changing him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Changing the title of the thread to What hypothetically happened...


The title was fine. My point was that nobody knows what really happened and why. I am pretty sure I made it clear I was not there and do not know.



My issue is with DH. Normally, I find him to be responsible, balanced, and fair. Maybe the change in ownership at Deseret News is changing him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If the title were fine I wouldn't have changed it, but it wasn't so I did.



The Deseret News and the Dick Harmon may be fine posting hypothetical situations as fact, but I don't think CougarCorner should.
C
Cougs_Rule
Bib, why do you find DH's article so hard to believe? from your original post it would seem that you would prefer to shape it some other way. Im not saying it did happen as DH described, but what--since we are stating hypotheticals--would you say if it were true?
S
Schmoe
I know you didn't ask me, but the reason that I found the Harmon article hard to believe was that there was a very obvious slant to it, and there was really no connection to the story in the article other than a silly hook to get people to read on.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I am quite sure that harmon tweeted that it was nelson's sister.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Golly. And here I thought I would open this thread and would read "what REALLY happened."

Could you water this down anymore? Exhonerate and minimize anymore?

I haven't seen anybody put this on Riley. Families say stuff. That game was as intense on both the horrible and intensely exciting (at least at the end) as games get.

Riley's stardom really took off--and rightly so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I saw some say that Riley planted seeds of Jake Heaps dislike within his family and a culture of Heaps ridicule. I am just saying that any USU or Ute family has been bagging on Jake since before he was recruited. Kind of like a Ute player from a strong BYU family would probably not need to stir them up to ridicule Jordan Wynn. It is just going to happen. But would you really expect him to be able to ensure that his young siblings or cousins are going to wear red and behave like mature adults. We have mature adult posters on here that get a little over the top when talking about Utes, Aggies, or Broncos and Aztecs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Bib, why do you find DH's article so hard to believe? from your original post it would seem that you would prefer to shape it some other way. Im not saying it did happen as DH described, but what--since we are stating hypotheticals--would you say if it were true?

It is not about just hard to believe, although the fact that this part of it had to be rewritten twice before final copy and national sources shrugged it off. My issue was that it lacked specificity and thus created a shroud of darkness that many initially assumed applied to Rikey's parents and all of his siblings. Many of those people were not there. It also gave no context about what else led up to the remarks. When you raise that and claim that you know they are family members, you ought to be able to say cousin billy, or brother bob. Because if you cannot, then you don't know who it was. You just know whose seats they are sitting in.



And if Jake's wife has not been to LES since, I would wonder if maybe she behaved in a way that she is embarrassed about leading up to the comment - like being rude to visiting USU fans - or in retaliation.



But I do not know. Dick wants us to believe he does know. Maybe he does. If so, he should provide that context. If he cannot provide it, then maybe he does not know the full story.



Normally, I have felt DH does his HW and tells the whole story.



This time, he did not. If he had, then these questions would have been answered in the original article.



Repeat. I do not claim to know what happened. What happened could be a culmination of a season or two of events in the stadium and outside of the stadium that gave developed between two or more people or an isolated response since it was USU.



To know - you would need Napolean Dynomite to investigate and blow the whole story wide open.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
blueblooded
jonnylingo wrote:
I am quite sure that harmon tweeted that it was nelson's sister.


I am slow and not very smart, so I am typing slowly. Let me get this right, according the Harmon's gossip column tweet update, Jake Heap's wife is really Riley's sister? Why hasn't anyone explained this before. Now I am finally understanding!!!!



I know that the gossip column regularly has updates on the Reynolds family too. Are they also related? If so, it would explain a lot about all the rumors about how some players are willing to play harder for one qb vs. another.



If Harmon was there to tweet about it, he must also be related. I just don't know to which side of the family.



Give me a break Mr. Harmon..... :sick:



Thanks
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Changing the title of the thread to What hypothetically happened...


The title was fine. My point was that nobody knows what really happened and why. I am pretty sure I made it clear I was not there and do not know.



My issue is with DH. Normally, I find him to be responsible, balanced, and fair. Maybe the change in ownership at Deseret News is changing him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If the title were fine I wouldn't have changed it, but it wasn't so I did.



The Deseret News and the Dick Harmon may be fine posting hypothetical situations as fact, but I



don't think CougarCorner should.


Would it have helped if I titled it this just in? Satire gets posted all the time on here. I agree that the title could be misleading - but it means nothing unless you actually read the post, and I opened the post by making it clear it was hypothetical and repeated several times including at the end that I was not there and didn't know.



The quicker posters were supposed to get the point - idk - udk - dick dk - and even the parties involved may not fully understand due to possible misunderstandings. But, I will guarantee you this - Brother Hawkwing - if that was truly Riley's family sitting in those seats - there were some die hard USU fans mixed in and they probably also razz Riley for being a cougar. The USU fan angle had been missing from all of the posts I had read and that is why I thought I would dangle a little food for thought out there. But I am ok with the new title - so I will not call you anything worse than Brother if you don't change it back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.