Archived Topic

New man crush; can't make up my mind...

by craigoscarson · 12/8/2011

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Nate Austin



OR



Mark Pope



I get chills thinking we have these new bigs for 4 straight years. Austin is skilled, fearless, smart, and light on his feet. I've gotta believe the Pope had something to do with this.
Q
Qman
craigoscarson wrote:
Nate Austin



OR



Mark Pope



I get chills thinking we have these new bigs for 4 straight years. Austin is skilled, fearless, smart, and light on his feet. I've gotta believe the Pope had something to do with this.


I think the aggressiveness must have been there all the time. But Pope is helping to channel it productively.



I wonder if we will see Davies shot selection improve over time.
S
SpiffCoug
craigoscarson wrote:
Nate Austin



OR



Mark Pope

Yes.
B
BerliNY
Holy Sh!# Nate Austin is ... a ... baller. This year is going to be great, but next year is going to legen...dary.
I
imuakahuku
How about Boylen for what he did to Ute :utard: bball? :crazy:
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Way back when the games weren't even going on the record, I saw Nate come into a game for the first time and I thought, "Sheesh, BYU actually has a guy playing center that looks like he knows what he is doing"!



I totally agree. Either Nate Austin was just a baller, or Pope has accomplished a LOT already.
G
Gunk
Both. Pope I think has done wonders for our guys.



Austin has a great touch, just like Noah. Goes up strong and puts it in. And man can he shoot!



It's a coin toss, but I'd have to go with Austin.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Isola
Nate is shooting 70% from the field! Holy Crap.



I love the kid. He has hustle, he will play on the block, but also step out and shoot the 3 ball (50% from 3). I am really happy with his play and Hartsock's too. Now if Davies could just get his game together.
S
SpiffCoug
Austin has great touch around the rim. All three of our primary post players seem much stronger around the rim than we've had in the past.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Nate Austin



OR



Mark Pope

Yes.


Exactly! Why choose just one?
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Having 3 guys that can play the 5 and play it well is a huge difference from last year. Now we can use Davies at the 4 with Austin at the 5. Add in Rogers at the 3 and Noah at the 4 and that is an impressive front line for us. Hopefully CC can join the party before too long as well



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
akammerman
Austin has strength, agility, hustle, soft hands, fire. Loving it. Watching the game last night was such an enjoyable experience. I love our guys and it's cool to see so many contribute all around.



Imagine next year. . .only person we lose is Hartsock, but we get Haws and Collingsworth back from misssions. Holy smokes!



1 - Carlino and Winder

2 - Haws and Zylstra

3 - Collingsworth and Rogers

4 - Davies and ?

5 - Austin and ?



Anyway. Super excited. We'll be great for years to come. Thanks Rose (and Pope), and thanks Cougars for putting on a great show.



Rise and Shout
B
beauso79
akammerman wrote:
Austin has strength, agility, hustle, soft hands, fire. Loving it. Watching the game last night was such an enjoyable experience. I love our guys and it's cool to see so many contribute all around.



Imagine next year. . .only person we lose is Hartsock, but we get Haws and Collingsworth back from misssions. Holy smokes!



1 - Carlino and Winder

2 - Haws and Zylstra

3 - Collingsworth and Rogers

4 - Davies and ?

5 - Austin and ?



Anyway. Super excited. We'll be great for years to come. Thanks Rose (and Pope), and thanks Cougars for putting on a great show.



Rise and Shout


I'm pretty sure we lose Abouo too and Kyle Collinsworth isn't due back until the year after Haws



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
beauso79 wrote:
Austin has strength, agility, hustle, soft hands, fire. Loving it. Watching the game last night was such an enjoyable experience. I love our guys and it's cool to see so many contribute all around.



Imagine next year. . .only person we lose is Hartsock, but we get Haws and Collingsworth back from misssions. Holy smokes!



1 - Carlino and Winder

2 - Haws and Zylstra

3 - Collingsworth and Rogers

4 - Davies and ?

5 - Austin and ?



Anyway. Super excited. We'll be great for years to come. Thanks Rose (and Pope), and thanks Cougars for putting on a great show.



Rise and Shout


I'm pretty sure we lose Abouo too and Kyle Collinsworth isn't due back until the year after Haws



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Noah and Abouo will be big shoes to fill next year. Haws does come back, but he's not the physical presence Abouo is. Does Harrison go on a mission after this season?
S
SpiffCoug
Will Noah and Abouo be bigger shoes to fill than Jackson and Jimmer?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Just finished listening to this interview of Austin. Like him more than ever. The interview was done before the season started, I believe.



When asked who he thinks the best player on the team is he says, "Me," then relents and says it's Davies but he's working to be the best player. I like the attitude, competitiveness, and slight cockiness mixed with the hard work. Can tell he's been working hard to get to where he's at so soon after his mission.



Wouldn't be surprised if Austin passes Davies up next season.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PvornEtiKVk#!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.