Archived Topic

What are your feelings today about Heaps' departure?

by snoscythe · 12/7/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Just wanted to get a sense on the general psyche of CougarCorner 2 days later.
F
frdbtr
Honestly, my feelings haven't changed other then I have had more time to come to grips with the fact that he is gone. I wanted him here, I felt like him staying and working through the benching and coming back strong in 2013 was best for him. His entourage and family felt differently. I am still disapointed that he is gone but not sorry that he left.
M
Metallicat
Meh. It will hurt Jake more than it will hurt BYU in the long run, that's what I thought from the beginning.
D
Ddawg
You did a good job Sno - added many different categories. It still doesn't explain how I really feel. I'm kinda with Frdbtr.



1. Initially I was surprised - for the first 30 seconds.

2. Disappointed - in Jake's choice. I was disappointed for him making a poor choice.

3. BYU Football will drive on & not miss a beat.



Explanation: As a teenager, I had challenges & discouragements like every other kid. My Dad would see I was getting down& he would pull me aide - have one of those "Father & son" talks that we grow fonder of, as time passes.



After all the listening & head nodding - my Dad would look me in the eye & say: "Son, we all have challenges - everyone. What you need to do is get up every day & meet the challenge of the day. Every day you pull on your work boots, grit your teeth & go to work. Whatever the challenge is - get after it. You will be better for meeting and conquering that challenge."



That was it. I heard that speech 75 times during high school. I think Jake Heaps needed that speech. He did not meet the challenge of the day. He will be poorer for it.



I wish him good luck. Go Cougs!
C
Cougarfan87
Agreed. I'm a big believer that there is no indispensable man. If one leaves, another will show up.



We don't need an NFL QB (not saying that Heaps will actually make it to the NFL) to become a great college team. There have been plenty of great college teams without NFL QBs.



I'm excited to see what Riley will doin the bowl game and next year. Though unconventional from what we typically see in a BYU QB, for some reason I expect some positive play every time he touches to ball. He is a fun, exciting player to watch--definitely a gamer.



I'm hoping he tears it up against next year's schedule as well.



At the very least Heaps brought us APO and Stout. I'm not sure if he was instrumental in getting KVN. So, thanks Heaps, for helping us recruit some good players, and good luck to you in the future. I wish you could have been more patient here, but I understand that sometimes you just need a change. It may not be what I would do, and it may not be logically in your best interest, but in this life we all get to make illogical choices and roll the dice. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm kind of indifferent. BYU football will go on. We will only continue to be more talented going forward. The future is/was bright with/without Mr. Heaps. Good luck wherever he lands, but I'm not going to follow him. I don't have much time for other players and teams that don't play in Provo.
S
Schmoe
I guess I feel confused, I really don't understand the move. I think that if he were to stay here and redshirt, he'd be an excellent starter for the two years after that. So, if he goes anywhere else, he'll have to sit a year, and probably have a worse chance of starting because that school didn't plan on him being their future.
G
Guest
I'm really high on the future we have at least one QB coming in who is high ranked the Heaps ever was, and another who is like a RN on steroids. Add to that the fact that we've learned some lessons on how to redshirt QBs and I think we're in for a great run.
B
byutx
is "zzzzzz" a feeling? :)
D
Ddawg
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring. He still has a tough path to walk. He has skills to develop, mental & physical toughness to develop, and team building skills to develop. Whether @ BYU or another school - the challenges still loom in his future. He had more friends & support @ BYU than he will find elsewhere. Looking back, Jake will regret this move.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Ddawg wrote:
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring. He still has a tough path to walk. He has skills to develop, mental & physical toughness to develop, and team building skills to develop. Whether @ BYU or another school - the challenges still loom in his future. He had more friends & support @ BYU than he will find elsewhere. Looking back, Jake will regret this move.

Wherever you go: there you are.
L
Lawboy
Still pissed that Bronco and Doman could let it get to this point. It is their program, their players. Leaves a huge hole in the QB chart for 2013-14 experience wise. We will be back to 2010 in that respect, which is a major recruiting gaffe.



I will get over it.
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
I guess I feel confused, I really don't understand the move. I think that if he were to stay here and redshirt, he'd be an excellent starter for the two years after that. So, if he goes anywhere else, he'll have to sit a year, and probably have a worse chance of starting because that school didn't plan on him being their future.


If you can't understand it then you probably weren't paying attention to what happened. It is not just about succeeding, it is about taking yourself out of a negative situation that will not breed success. Jake had to leave. Things had deteriorated too much to be repaired in my opinon.



This whole thing just further supports the fact that the coaches should have red shirted jake last year and let riley sink or swim. I think they screwed up and mismanaged the situation. we have seen jake be very effective, last year for example. he has what it takes to be good. the coaches just made it extremely difficult for him to succeed and he finally buckled under the pressure. he had a new oc not calling good plays, oline not getting push or protecting him, runningbacks averaging negtive yards, chemistry problems between him and the more senior players and you had been fighting for you jobe for two years now from a snippy and effective riley nelson. it was just too much for just about anybody.



if they had red shirted him he would have had time to mature and learn. also if riley didn't do well the chemistry adn division the two qb decision created would have been missing. if riley did well he would finish out his time. if he didn't, jake comes in and has an opportunity for the team to rally around him.



easy to say in hindsight but after all of this i really think most of blame lands on coaches. i think bronco admitted that yesterday.



sorry this post probably belonged in a different thread.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring. He still has a tough path to walk. He has skills to develop, mental & physical toughness to develop, and team building skills to develop. Whether @ BYU or another school - the challenges still loom in his future. He had more friends & support @ BYU than he will find elsewhere. Looking back, Jake will regret this move.

Wherever you go: there you are.


I am not so sure. I think the damage chemistry and relationship wise was done and probably not going to be repaired if he stayed at byu. sometimes it is best to part ways. he has an uphill battle elsewhere but he is up to it. If he picks the right place I think he will be successful.
B
byutx
Ddawg wrote:
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring.


Like anyone can know that, Napoleon!



You may be right about on-the-field stuff, but his transferring will make a world of difference to him in his personal life. He may be making things hard for him in a football sense, but I think he'll be in a better spot in terms of being able to the garner respect of and make new friendships with his new teammates, particularly non-LDS ones.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I was never mad, angry or hurt over him leaving.



I feel the same I felt two days ago: relieved and glad he's gone. He was a complete distraction, a lousy QB, and a prima donna. We're better with him gone. And, I hope he flames out wherever he goes so it's irrefutable BYU is better without him and Bronco will stop being vilified for "mismanaging" top recruits.
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
I was never mad, angry or hurt over him leaving.



I feel the same I felt two days ago: relieved and glad he's gone. He was a complete distraction, a lousy QB, and a prima donna. We're better with him gone. And, I hope he flames out wherever he goes so it's irrefutable BYU is better without him and Bronco will stop being vilified for "mismanaging" top recruits.


I am pretty sure you are going to get your satisfaction. Heaps is never going to start, unless he ends up at a lower division school.
S
snoscythe
byutx wrote:
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring.


Like anyone can know that, Napoleon!


Nice.



[youtube]Ge-SfYxfJDo[/youtube]
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
Bottom line: Jake Heaps solves nothing by transferring. He still has a tough path to walk. He has skills to develop, mental & physical toughness to develop, and team building skills to develop. Whether @ BYU or another school - the challenges still loom in his future. He had more friends & support @ BYU than he will find elsewhere. Looking back, Jake will regret this move.

Wherever you go: there you are.


I am not so sure. I think the damage chemistry and relationship wise was done and probably not going to be repaired if he stayed at byu. sometimes it is best to part ways. he has an uphill battle elsewhere but he is up to it. If he picks the right place I think he will be successful.

We'll see. He's still going to have to prove to new teammates he can get it done. The common denominator in all of Jake's struggles were Jake himself. That's what I meant. If Jake thinks a fresh start is all he needs, he may find that taking the same approach to a new place may yield similar results. Now it's possible he'll learn from this and wherever he winds up he'll be a different person. Who knows?
J
jonnylingo
Gunk wrote:
I was never mad, angry or hurt over him leaving.



I feel the same I felt two days ago: relieved and glad he's gone. He was a complete distraction, a lousy QB, and a prima donna. We're better with him gone. And, I hope he flames out wherever he goes so it's irrefutable BYU is better without him and Bronco will stop being vilified for "mismanaging" top recruits.


Give me a break man. I don't think any student athlete should be talked about the way you are talking about Heaps. Temper your comments my friend.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.