R
rblackI have seen many statements along the lines of, "if Heaps succeeds somewhere else, it means that Doman/Bronco/BYU dropped the ball." Why does he have to fail?
I hope Heaps succeeds. If he does, it means that he overcame the issues that were limiting his talent.
What would you have BYU do different?
BYU started him early and he might have benifited from a redshirt. We gave Olson a redshirt instead of starting him during a season that we could have really used a solid quarterback. He transfered. Would Heaps have stayed had they made him redshirt on year one? I don't know.
BYU pulled him from his second sub 80 passing day in a row. They put another quarterback in. That quarterback succeeded. They went with that quarterback. How was that wrong? Yes, I know, there might have been stupid lockerroom issues going on. On any team, there are stupid locker room issues going on. I guarantee that if any player wasn't playing his best due to who the quarterback of the day was, then Bronco addressed that. In Bronco's world there is no excuse for not giving 100% all the time. As a whole, I don't buy the Nelson lobbied Heaps out of a starting job arguement anyway.
BYU gave Heaps more opportunities than they have ever given a Freshman and/or Sophmore quarterback.
What would you have Heaps do different?
He played his heart out. During the Mississippi game, he rallied the team in the 4th quarter and put us in a position to win the football game.
He celebrated rushing touchdowns and passing touchdowns, even when he was playing as the backup quarterback. He made some very pretty throws.
If you are going to argue that he shouldn't have missed this play or that play, then I challenge you to find a quarterback to make every play that executes every play to perfection.
Unfortunately, Heaps had moments of struggle and sometimes it cost us some games. He was a work in progress and in his opinion, his best opportunity to progress is away from BYU. Even after he made that known, he was given starter opportunities and the opportunity to show prospective teams that he was a worthwhile addition to their team.
I don't hate Heaps for the decisions he has made. I hope he succeeds. I don't condemn BYU for the decisions they made. I want them to succeed as well. I guess everyone wants to blame someone. The group of people I will blame are the media personell who have used innuendo and partial perspectives to fan the flames of controversy over this issue.
I hope Heaps succeeds. If he does, it means that he overcame the issues that were limiting his talent.
What would you have BYU do different?
BYU started him early and he might have benifited from a redshirt. We gave Olson a redshirt instead of starting him during a season that we could have really used a solid quarterback. He transfered. Would Heaps have stayed had they made him redshirt on year one? I don't know.
BYU pulled him from his second sub 80 passing day in a row. They put another quarterback in. That quarterback succeeded. They went with that quarterback. How was that wrong? Yes, I know, there might have been stupid lockerroom issues going on. On any team, there are stupid locker room issues going on. I guarantee that if any player wasn't playing his best due to who the quarterback of the day was, then Bronco addressed that. In Bronco's world there is no excuse for not giving 100% all the time. As a whole, I don't buy the Nelson lobbied Heaps out of a starting job arguement anyway.
BYU gave Heaps more opportunities than they have ever given a Freshman and/or Sophmore quarterback.
What would you have Heaps do different?
He played his heart out. During the Mississippi game, he rallied the team in the 4th quarter and put us in a position to win the football game.
He celebrated rushing touchdowns and passing touchdowns, even when he was playing as the backup quarterback. He made some very pretty throws.
If you are going to argue that he shouldn't have missed this play or that play, then I challenge you to find a quarterback to make every play that executes every play to perfection.
Unfortunately, Heaps had moments of struggle and sometimes it cost us some games. He was a work in progress and in his opinion, his best opportunity to progress is away from BYU. Even after he made that known, he was given starter opportunities and the opportunity to show prospective teams that he was a worthwhile addition to their team.
I don't hate Heaps for the decisions he has made. I hope he succeeds. I don't condemn BYU for the decisions they made. I want them to succeed as well. I guess everyone wants to blame someone. The group of people I will blame are the media personell who have used innuendo and partial perspectives to fan the flames of controversy over this issue.

