Archived Topic

A simple plea to my Cougar brethren

by Dcr36 · 12/6/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Today we all found out that Jake Heaps, our prized recruit, will longer be with us. He was a kid who made our dreams of undefeated seasons seem like definite possibilities. A kid who seemed so passionate about his commitment to BYU that he in turn became a recruiter, and helped us put together one of our greatest incoming classes. A kid who carried so much promise that we found ourselves on YouTube, salivating over grainy amateur footage of his high school games. A kid that managed to get BYU fans everywhere to flip to ESPNU to watch some meaningless Washington State high school football game. A kid who seemed like a easy lock to enter the Pantheon of Wilson, Jimmy Mac, Young, Boscoe, Detmer and Sark.



That kid is gone.



It was, to be frank, a pretty terrible day.



Blame was tossed around. Accusations were made. Characters were called into question.Thousands of vicious tweets were launched. Articles were published (and edited) (and edited again). Important study projects were pushed aside (that was probably just me).



But the day is now over. BYU will start its first day in the post-Heaps era.



I bring this up because, for the last two months, the specter of Jake Heaps and the potential he carried has hung over every snap BYU has played, even when he wasn't on the field. You couldn't address about BYU football and not talk about Jake Heaps. Think about it - could any other QB in the history of BYU start five games, be ranked in the bottom 10 starting quarterbacks in all of college football by every reasonable metric, and STILL elicit passionate arguments for continued playing time from half the fanbase?



And now, the question of "How would BYU be playing if Jake Heaps was their quarterback?" enters the realm of alternate history. Which is my point.



We've been a bitterly divided fanbase this year over many things - conference realignment, Doman's abilities as an offensive coordinator, Bronco's ability to coach early in the season, our AD's ability to negotiate, the real value of ESPN exposure - but perhaps nothing has been as divisive as Team Riley vs. Team Jake. And now Jake is gone.



I know a lot of Team Jake really doesn't like Riley. They think he's got a noodle arm. Makes bad decisions under pressure. He represents an abandonment of old school, air-it-out BYU defenses and signals a surrender to the dual-threat QB that most of college football has adopted. He plays with a reckless abandon that'll get himself injured bad. He carries an air of smug self-satisfaction that's worse than any prima donna vibe Jake had.He doesn't look like a BYU quarterback.



But now he is BYU's quarterback.



I don't expect those who see Riley as a team-dividing saboteur are ever going to like the kid. But my simple request is this - when BYU takes the field next year, with Riley under center, BYU fans should support BYU as their team and Riley like any other quarterback. Cheer him when he plays well. Mutter to your buddies when he sucks it up. Call for Lark if he sucks for half a season if you like! But please, please, PLEASE don't enter the realm of "what if Jake had stayed?" Watching this season under the shadow of our expectations for Jake have made it difficult. Watching the NEXT THREE YEARS wondering if Heaps would've punched our ticket to the BCS would be an exercise in completely sucking the enjoyment I get out of BYU football.



To sum it up (for those who didn't feel like reading a long, overly-grandoise plea) - I am a BYU fan. When Jake Heaps played for BYU, I cheered for him. Now he does not, and whatever he does elsewhere, or could have done as a Cougar, will bear no weight on how I feel about my team. I'm willing to give all future BYU teams the luxury of not being judged based on a dream that Jake left without fulfilling.
B
BYUROCKS
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.
G
Gunk
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


Sure we will. We'll just get spanked like Hawai'i did.
D
Devbo
Great post.
I
imuakahuku
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


Why would they suck? Because of Bronco and/or Doman? The talent is still there and will be there for several years to come. And we get in some great QB's one that is even higher rated than Jake. So I don't think that sky has fallen because Jake is leaving. BYU will be just fine.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


:skeptic: I must've missed the part of Heaps career where we did better than that.....
D
Dcr36
snoscythe wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


:skeptic: I must've missed the part of Heaps career where we did better than that.....


2009. Iggy's. Heaps, Apo, and Stout completely devastated a nacho platter that was #16 in the Sagarin ratings.
S
stuckinbig10country
Dcr36 wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


:skeptic: I must've missed the part of Heaps career where we did better than that.....


2009. Iggy's. Heaps, Apo, and Stout completely devastated a nacho platter that was #16 in the Sagarin ratings.


Iggy's nachos are overrated.
B
BoiseBYU
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.

Just you don't quit -- we'll handle the fandom stuff .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
I would hope that most fans could cheer on the team whomever is taking the snaps. The fact that I can't stand Riley Nelson and his punkishness doesn't mean I can't support him and the team.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I don't think that Riley or Heaps will give us any reason to ask those questions next year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Get with it man. We already are. Riley IS the qb and will be next year. BYU football is even fun to watch. This team plays better and rallies around Riley. NO question at all.

BUt you failed miserably to request the equally important plea to ask the heaps-haters to not stream endless supposed vindications of coaches and Riley--which I could accept if they weren't always and often tied to with vilifications of the scapegoat, "quitter", and soon to be "loser of a human being" who is to blame for all of Cougar Nations woes. Its understandable for maybe a day at a moderate level, but again, you left out half the audience to your purpose in mind.
B
BerliNY
Dcr36 wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
Well good luck BYU, I think while I am gone on my mission it will be really ugly being a BYU fan, sure we will beat the cupcakes like Idaho ST, but that is NOT what football is about, we will not find a way into a NCG playing Idaho, and Idaho st.


:skeptic: I must've missed the part of Heaps career where we did better than that.....


2009. Iggy's. Heaps, Apo, and Stout completely devastated a nacho platter that was #16 in the Sagarin ratings.


Those were non-AQ nachos.
I
IowaCougar
I'm going to the Armed Forces Bowl, my first trip to a Bowl Game. I'm going to be cheering like crazy for BYU. They have a chance for another 10-win season. Since when was a 10-win season a bad thing? I've LOVED watching the games with Riley playing. He had an absolutely amazing day PASSING in the Hawaii game.



We're disappointed that Heaps didn't work out at BYU, but BYU still has an extremely bright future! I think next year will be outstanding, and I'm excited! It's a great time to be a BYU fan.
D
Dcr36
dmcougar wrote:
Get with it man. We already are. Riley IS the qb and will be next year. BYU football is even fun to watch. This team plays better and rallies around Riley. NO question at all.

BUt you failed miserably to request the equally important plea to ask the heaps-haters to not stream endless supposed vindications of coaches and Riley--which I could accept if they weren't always and often tied to with vilifications of the scapegoat, "quitter", and soon to be "loser of a human being" who is to blame for all of Cougar Nations woes. Its understandable for maybe a day at a moderate level, but again, you left out half the audience to your purpose in mind.


I don't see problems with vindications of Riley - it has nothing to do with Heaps. When I think of Riley proving doubters wrong, the narrative that my mind follows has him overcoming adversity, not Jake Heaps. I can see how people see otherwise, though, and I guess I understand better now why it rubs people the wrong way.



And frankly, I think the less that we mention Heaps going forwards, for good or ill purposes, the happier we'll be.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.