Archived Topic

Hawaii fires Coach McMackin

by Dcr36 · 12/6/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Just two days after we blew them out.



Kinda surprised. Coach McMackin had a mediocre career winning percentage, but I thought he'd get a free pass because of all the injuries he had to deal with this year.
S
SpiffCoug
More to the point shaving scandal than we know?
D
Dcr36
SpiffCoug wrote:
More to the point shaving scandal than we know?


All I know is what they said during the game (i.e. law enforcement didn't think there was enough to the allegation to warrant further investigation). But I'm sure UH was unhappy with the very allegation.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, not exactly the type of rumor you want flying around.
C
CougarClaw
so we cost Houston Nutt and Hawaii their coaches' jobs.



seems like byu doesn't just knock the qb out of the games we play...
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
And a 7-6 BYU showed Brady Hoke he'd never win in the MWC so he bolted to Michigan.
D
Dcr36
Speaking of which, anybody follow SDSU this year? They finished 8-4 but looked kinda anemic doing it. I've thought for a while that SDSU had enough advantages with geography that they'd turn things around if they had a couple of winning seasons, but now I'm starting to think that they're going to slowly revert back to suckiness without Hoke.



(P.S. I recognize the only possible answer to "Anybody follow SDSU this year?" is "Of course not.")
S
SpiffCoug
SDSU was too busy trying to point out all the disadvantages of working with/playing BYU to promote their football team.
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
SDSU was too busy trying to point out all the disadvantages of working with/playing BYU to promote their football team.


Who?
C
Cougarbib
It wasn't the point shaving. This year for them was like last year for us. BCS type expectations, Heisman candidate QB but no bowl game. McMackin was given a huge contract when June Jones left as an over-reaction by unrealistic board that though UH was now going to be a perrenial BCS buster and McMackin would pick right up where June Jones who recommended him profusely, left off. He just has not earned the $1.2M. I thought they may keep him one more year due to being unable to afford to fire him and hire someone else. But he is gone. Fans wanted him gone. It was not the point shaving allegations. They blame Moniz for that. HIs legacy here is torched by the taint of it. Rumor is that his dad won $200K or so betting in Nevada right around the Nevada game. And then look at the UNLV game. Not betting on UH - but it raised eyebrows as being an arranged win for him. I have no idea if this is true.



I thought it was ridiculous to promote a defensive coach making probably $100-200K and give him $1.2M, but UH administrators are not renowned for some of their business decisions.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Thanks bib. I figured you'd have a better idea than us.
B
BoiseBYU
Aloha McMackin!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


The Notre Dame leprechaun must be so pleased.
C
Cougarbib
Face saving is really big out here. Tonight, the New announced it as a retirement and that he will forgo a half million of his remaining contract to help UH afford a replacement. Not quite sure how they got him to forfeit anything but suspect they gave him some retirement benefits to offset it without mentioning that to the news.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.