Archived Topic

Heaps quit, does Apo follow?

by cougarnerd · 12/5/2011

Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
I heard that Jake and Ross were best friends in HS, and they decided to play together here. Because Jake left, will Apo follow, or will he stay to graduate?
C
CougarClaw
I think Apo stays.
G
Guest
Apo would lose a year of eligibility. Plus, he's team Riley now.
F
frdbtr
cougarnerd wrote:
I heard that Jake and Ross were best friends in HS, and they decided to play together here. Because Jake left, will Apo follow, or will he stay to graduate?


I think it would be interesting to be a fly on Apo's wall in his dorm and find out what he thinks of a guy who recruited him to come to BYU to "win a national championship" and then quit as soon as it got difficult. Apo had to redshirt last year, I am sure all the work he put in to come back from his injury was not easy.
D
Dcr36
People have been asking this all day, but I don't blame you for not wanting to sift through the the big "Heaps leaving" thread.



The media higher-ups that follow the Cougars think it's unlikely that Apo, or most of Jake's other recruiting-class buddies, will go anywhere. Apo spent a good chunk of his post-game interview Saturday praising Nelson for his intensity and leadership, and it sounds like he has a life/friends pretty independent of Heaps at BYU now. Plus, there are issues with RS/eligibility that make it less attractive for Apo to transfer.



I've seen a few tweets suggesting there could be SOME transfers, but I've mostly seen this from unreliable sources. At any rate, the time-frame to transfer is closing (i.e. why Heaps is transferring now) so we should know soon enough.
Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
hawkwing wrote:
Apo would lose a year of eligibility. Plus, he's team Riley now.


Riley led a more explosive, dominant, productive offense than Jake did. He probably would have more success at BYU than wherever Jake's going.
G
Guest
The interesting thing I've heard was that Apo was basically Heap's only friend left on the team. He had pretty much alienated everyone else. And I think it's pretty clear from Apo's comments after the Hawaii game that he's pretty happy with his situation.



I just don't see any serious team changing transfers coming as a part of this debacle.
S
scott715
And he would probably miss the bowl game.
D
Dcr36
hawkwing wrote:
The interesting thing I've heard was that Apo was basically Heap's only friend left on the team. He had pretty much alienated everyone else. And I think it's pretty clear from Apo's comments after the Hawaii game that he's pretty happy with his situation.



I just don't see any serious team changing transfers coming as a part of this debacle.


Yeah, I've heard this too. For all the talk about "Team Heaps" and "Team Riley" in the locker room, it looks like we actually had a pretty united locker room - it just happened to be united behind Nelson.



If anyone missed McGregor's epic tweet-rant this afternoon, you should go back and read it. I generally trust him when he talks, and he did suggest that the locker-room problems were two-fold - Nelson undermining Heaps' reputation, and Heaps basically playing into the exact stereotype Nelson and his buddies believed Jake to be.



It does make me respect Nelson less - an RM should know how toxic gossip and double-talk can be - but I still doubt it was the nefarious mind-games some people made it out to be. If you've ever had a classmate or co-worker you didn't like, you know the drill. You keep making jokes behind his back, you rant to each other about how he drives you nuts - after a while, nobody can stand the guy and it's not as hidden as it used to be.



Still, though, Heaps could've shut them all up if he did one thing - play well. Locker room drama only comes to the surface when a team is under-performing.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
The interesting thing I've heard was that Apo was basically Heap's only friend left on the team. He had pretty much alienated everyone else. And I think it's pretty clear from Apo's comments after the Hawaii game that he's pretty happy with his situation.



I just don't see any serious team changing transfers coming as a part of this debacle.


NO doubt Jake's world--such as it was--closed in around him. When at the point that he and Doman had some kind of run-in, presumably, Jake's M.O. completed the fall. Too bad.

And it would seem plausible that one by one, players got off the Jake camp.



BUT THIS THREAD TITLE IS LAME! Why didn't it read Heaps Transfers, does Apo follow?

MOre spew and hate.
Advertisement
G
Guest
dmcougar wrote:
The interesting thing I've heard was that Apo was basically Heap's only friend left on the team. He had pretty much alienated everyone else. And I think it's pretty clear from Apo's comments after the Hawaii game that he's pretty happy with his situation.



I just don't see any serious team changing transfers coming as a part of this debacle.


NO doubt Jake's world--such as it was--closed in around him. When at the point that he and Doman had some kind of run-in, presumably, Jake's M.O. completed the fall. Too bad.

And it would seem plausible that one by one, players got off the Jake camp.



BUT THIS THREAD TITLE IS LAME! Why didn't it read Heaps Transfers, does Apo follow?

MOre spew and hate.


I think you're reading too much into it by being such an adament Heaps defender over the last 2 years, and I think you'd agree with me that you have been (no disrespect is meant by it) I think you may be reading too much emotion and hostility into the word quit as used in this title than was intended.
C
Cougs_Rule
Possibly. Although to be grammatically parallel and diffuse all doubt, wouldn't this thread read: Heaps quit, will Apo not quit? Or Heaps quit, will Apo quit? Or Heaps transferred, will Apo follow? Or Heaps transferred, will Apo transfer also?

BUt oh well, in a lot of wars, "Turncoats and deserters would get shot in the back so others would fear the consequence. SO, lets just keep shooting the kid overtly and subtly (Heaps Quit) and let it ride.
C
cougarnerd
dmcougar wrote:
BUT THIS THREAD TITLE IS LAME! Why didn't it read Heaps Transfers, does Apo follow?

More spew and hate.


I don't know. Sorry about the negativity, but that's what was on my mind at the moment.
T
tww
cougarnerd wrote:
BUT THIS THREAD TITLE IS LAME! Why didn't it read Heaps Transfers, does Apo follow?

More spew and hate.


I don't know. Sorry about the negativity, but that's what was on my mind at the moment.




Accuracy is only lame in a PC world. Which is ironic because it is the PC world that is lame, not accuracy.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.