Archived Topic

"Group of Professionals"

by Devbo · 12/5/2011

Advertisement
D
Devbo
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.
F
frdbtr
Devbo wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:
S
Schmoe
Does this remind anyone else of the new QB kid and his dad from the TV series "Friday Night Lights?"
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:
Does this remind anyone else of the new QB kid and his dad from the TV series "Friday Night Lights?"


I was thinking the same thing...
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Seriously, are you like 19 years old?

Every D-1 athlete has a "group" of professionals." And how good of advice to most of them get? LET IT GO ALREADY. QUIT POLLUTING EVERY POST WITH YOUR HATE. ARE YOU A UTE? LET IT DIE.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Hate top break it to you but this is the world we live in and if Bronco and Co don't learn how to manage talent AND egos, then they are going to continue to lose talented recruits. This is what made someone like phil jackson a great coach. he was able to coach and manage the egos.



the culture at byu is, seniority and hard work rule. the culture should be, whoever plays the best and gives us the best chance to win rules.
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Devbo wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Seriously, are you like 19 years old?

Every D-1 athlete has a "group" of professionals." And how good of advice to most of them get? LET IT GO ALREADY. QUIT POLLUTING EVERY POST WITH YOUR HATE. ARE YOU A UTE? LET IT DIE.


Maybe you could stop following every post I make and call me childish. At least I am bringing a legit opinion to the discussion instead of following you around calling you childish and classless, and what not. No, I am a couple years older then 19 but that is irrelavant.
H
HoosierCougar
hawkwing wrote:
Does this remind anyone else of the new QB kid and his dad from the TV series "Friday Night Lights?"


I was thinking the same thing...


And remember when JD and his boys catch up to Luke (after he's been moved to the other school) and Luke calls him JD McDick.



[Chris Farley} That was awesome... [/Chris Farley]
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
Devbo wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Hate top break it to you but this is the world we live in and if Bronco and Co don't learn how to manage talent AND egos, then they are going to continue to lose talented recruits. This is what made someone like phil jackson a great coach. he was able to coach and manage the egos.



the culture at byu is, seniority and hard work rule. the culture should be, whoever plays the best and gives us the best chance to win rules.


So this is why Jake got benched? I thought Riley was playing better. Really folks, redshirting gives young talent time to develop. McMahon had to reshirt when he was arguabaly playing better then Wilson, he didn't want to and was very vocal about it. He did it though and came back to be one of the greatest QB's in college football history. Once Jake is done, we will be able to compare his stats with McMahon's and see how it worked out for both of them.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Seriously, are you like 19 years old?

Every D-1 athlete has a "group" of professionals." And how good of advice to most of them get? LET IT GO ALREADY. QUIT POLLUTING EVERY POST WITH YOUR HATE. ARE YOU A UTE? LET IT DIE.


Maybe you could stop following every post I make and call me childish. At least I am bringing a legit opinion to the discussion instead of following you around calling you childish and classless, and what not. No, I am a couple years older then 19 but that is irrelavant.


And now you are proving your Jake-like ego-centrism. Im not following you around, don't flatter yourself. You are spewing your sophomoric "quitter" venom in different colors in EVERY single thread and its getting old.

"Legit opinion?" One-trick Pony, played over and over.
Advertisement
D
dsmith1212
jonnylingo wrote:
the culture at byu is, seniority and hard work rule. the culture should be, whoever plays the best and gives us the best chance to win rules.


Eh...seems like Riley played the best and gives us the best chance to win. Eh...seems like walk-ons have a better chance at BYU than at most other schools. Eh...seems like we just gave a well deserved scholarship to an undersized overachiever who got the chance to prove himself on the field. Guess I missed your point...or was it TIC?
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Devbo wrote:
In Harmon's article, it says Heaps is being advised by a "group of professionals". Is this ok? To me that crosses into the muddy area of agents/3rd parties. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, cougarcorner gurus.


I think that Jake's "group of professionals" is the problem. he has had these since he was big enough to throw a ball and they have inflated his sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need people to tell you to fight through a situation and get better. From some of the posts lately it sounds like he worked out with these people in the off season instead of BYU players. If this is true, I am not sure how he thought this would endear him to his team mates or create chemestry. It is obvious that everyone that was afraid that he would leave if he didn't get the starting job last year were probably right and why the coaches didn't have the courage to try to redshirt him. Oh well, the past is now the past. Good luck taking this philosophy with him to his next try at being a starting QB. This kind of entitlement attitude isn't going to work any better at a different team. But I guess it was just the "Return missionaries" hating on the younger non return missionaries that were the problem. :roll:


Seriously, are you like 19 years old?

Every D-1 athlete has a "group" of professionals." And how good of advice to most of them get? LET IT GO ALREADY. QUIT POLLUTING EVERY POST WITH YOUR HATE. ARE YOU A UTE? LET IT DIE.


Maybe you could stop following every post I make and call me childish. At least I am bringing a legit opinion to the discussion instead of following you around calling you childish and classless, and what not. No, I am a couple years older then 19 but that is irrelavant.


And now you are proving your Jake-like ego-centrism. Im not following you around, don't flatter yourself. You are spewing your sophomoric "quitter" venom in different colors in EVERY single thread and its getting old.

"Legit opinion?" One-trick Pony, played over and over.


You keep calling me names. The truth of what I say must cut pretty deep.
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
ARE YOU A UTE? LET IT DIE.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Jake was a Ute. It actually might be the most logical explanation as to why he was one of the worst QBs to ever play at BYU.
G
Gunk
Even before Heaps committed to BYU he had a private PR rep and a team of "professionals" advising him. For Heaps, it's been say this, do that, go here for the last two years. Heaps isn't calling the shots. Mommy, Daddy and Barton are.



This isn't Pee Wee football. Bronco and Doman don't have the time to deal with players, their egos, and their entourages.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
Even before Heaps committed to BYU he had a private PR rep and a team of "professionals" advising him. For Heaps, it's been say this, do that, go here for the last two years. Heaps isn't calling the shots. Mommy, Daddy and Barton are.



This isn't Pee Wee football. Bronco and Doman don't have the time to deal with players, their egos, and their entourages.

I think this is part of the reason I could never get behind Heaps 100%. I cheered for him, wanted him to do well, wanted BYU FOOTBALL to do well, but I was always surprised about the pampering the kid received. I think if anyone's at fault in this whole situation it's Jake's parents. I don't even know if Jake likes football, just that his parents want him to succeed at it.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Even before Heaps committed to BYU he had a private PR rep and a team of "professionals" advising him. For Heaps, it's been say this, do that, go here for the last two years. Heaps isn't calling the shots. Mommy, Daddy and Barton are.



This isn't Pee Wee football. Bronco and Doman don't have the time to deal with players, their egos, and their entourages.

If true, chalk this up as another terrible recruiting blunder by Bronco, same as guys like Drew Phillips and Kory Gaines. "Do you want to play Bronco football? No, not at all? Well let's sign you up anyways!"
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Even before Heaps committed to BYU he had a private PR rep and a team of "professionals" advising him. For Heaps, it's been say this, do that, go here for the last two years. Heaps isn't calling the shots. Mommy, Daddy and Barton are.



This isn't Pee Wee football. Bronco and Doman don't have the time to deal with players, their egos, and their entourages.

If true, chalk this up as another terrible recruiting blunder by Bronco, same as guys like Drew Phillips and Kory Gaines. "Do you want to play Bronco football? No, not at all? Well let's sign you up anyways!"

I hate it when Bronco makes kids do what they don't want to do.



Maybe these kids don't think Bronco is serious when he says what he does? Clearly that's Bronco's fault.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
Even before Heaps committed to BYU he had a private PR rep and a team of "professionals" advising him. For Heaps, it's been say this, do that, go here for the last two years. Heaps isn't calling the shots. Mommy, Daddy and Barton are.



This isn't Pee Wee football. Bronco and Doman don't have the time to deal with players, their egos, and their entourages.

If true, chalk this up as another terrible recruiting blunder by Bronco, same as guys like Drew Phillips and Kory Gaines. "Do you want to play Bronco football? No, not at all? Well let's sign you up anyways!"


I don't see why you would classify Phillips and Gaines as "recruiting blunders". How can it be Bronco's fault when kids don't live up to what they say they will during the recruiting process.
M
Metallicat
jonnylingo wrote:
the culture at byu is, seniority and hard work rule. the culture should be, whoever plays the best and gives us the best chance to win rules.


Your logic has holes so big the utes' basketball team could shoot through it.



Jake Heaps starts as a true freshman/sophomore and doesn't produce. THEN he gets benched for the older, harder working Nelson who plays better and gives us a better chance to win, and yet you say he's transferring because of a culture of favoritism? :whistle:



I was full on the Heaps hype train and was disappointed when he got benched. But you can't argue with Riley's play. Heaps was given his chance and he dropped it. Riley took his opportunity and ran with it(no pun intended).
S
SpiffCoug
I hate coaches who put a lot of stock into working hard. :whistle:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.