Archived Topic

When Does Utah get Win #1?

by BerliNY · 12/4/2011

Advertisement
B
BerliNY
So the Utes are now 0-6. They have several "winnable" games coming up, at home, against teams with bad records. The question is, when do they get their first "W" of the year?



CSU Fullerton and Idaho state are the best choices for now, but if they somehow manage to drop those two, and assuming a BYU victory on 12/10, they would have Portland at home before going on the road to Weber St and then starting conference play on the road with their arch-rivals Colorado.



I think there's a good chance they pick up a win before conference play starts, but they're running out of chances.3 by my count.
S
Schmoe
Utah is 1-6, so I'd say they already got it.
B
BerliNY
Schmoe wrote:
Utah is 1-6, so I'd say they already got it.


Wasn't that an exhibition game?

RPI and Sagarin have them at 0-6.
S
SpiffCoug
RPI and Sagarin don't take into account non-D1 games.



The Utes' 3-pt victory at home over San Diego Christian College (with an enrollment of 395) counts on their record but not in the RPI.
S
Schmoe
Ok, so in terms of RPI when will they get their first win? Don't know, don't care (not trying to be flippant or mean, I just really don't care about them).
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Maybe next year when they play Sinclair Girls Prepratory Academy. :crazy:



If they win one or two more games this year I will be surprised. They are such a mess that Provo High could probably beat them.
B
BerliNY
Schmoe wrote:
Ok, so in terms of RPI when will they get their first win? Don't know, don't care (not trying to be flippant or mean, I just really don't care about them).


I know I shouldn't either, what with it being the Sabbath and all. But, like any good train wreck, I...just...can't...look...away.



Plus, after enduring the Majerus years when I lived in Utah (SLC county no less), I figure I've still got some wiggle room on my schadefreude quota.
S
SpiffCoug
Lone Peak would beat Utah.
S
scott715
If they would only schedule better, they could increase their wins.
G
Gunk
Since there wasn't an option for "No wins," I picked Idaho.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Gunk wrote:
Since there wasn't an option for "No wins," I picked Idaho.


That was my point in starting the poll/thread. If Utah doesn't beat Fullerton or Idaho St (and you know those teams are licking their chops to pick up a W against a Pac12 team) then the season could be very long indeed for Coach Crisco. Once conference play starts, wins are going to be hard to come by. Not that the Pac12 is any good this year, but so far there's only one team in that league whose wheels have already come off. Hell, even Washington State is thrilled the Utes are in the conference this year, two guaranteed W's.



Any word on whether Jordan Loveridge is having any buyer's remorse?
S
SpiffCoug
Loveridge is going to Utah because he can play early and play a ton of minutes. Utah really needs to give Crisco 4 full years before his seat gets warm. Boylen essentially chased off two full recruiting classes.



Look at what one failed recruiting class did for BYU (Bradley, Cuff, Roberts, et al) when they didn't return/transferred/etc. - it led to a 1-25 season.



Boylen did that twice. He set the program back half a decade and some Ute fans I've spoken to said he did so purposefully. That he was encouraging players to transfer in an effort to stick it to Utah.
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
Boylen did that twice. He set the program back half a decade and some Ute fans I've spoken to said he did so purposefully. That he was encouraging players to transfer in an effort to stick it to Utah.


And I used to think Boylen was just delightfully inept. Now my respect for him has gone up an hundred fold!
9
98BYUAlum
Salt Lake Tribune is now reporting that the Utes just suspended Josh Watkins, who apparently is the leading scorer. Things are getting better and better for them.
B
BerliNY
hawkwing wrote:
Boylen did that twice. He set the program back half a decade and some Ute fans I've spoken to said he did so purposefully. That he was encouraging players to transfer in an effort to stick it to Utah.


And I used to think Boylen was just delightfully inept. Now my respect for him has gone up an hundred fold!


Srsly! Is this enough to get him into the BYU HoF? IF the man single handedly ensures that BYU dominates Utah for 2-3 seasons, what more would he be lacking?
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
98BYUAlum wrote:
Salt Lake Tribune is now reporting that the Utes just suspended Josh Watkins, who apparently is the leading scorer. Things are getting better and better for them.


Beat me to it.



Usually Mondays aren't this good to me but after watching BYU beatdown on Oregon AND eliminate Hawaii from Bowl eligibility I figured karma was going to slap me upside the head today. Not so. The U's "leading" scorer gets suspended, Heaps decides he's leaving, AND my daughter ate her vegetables at lunch without being asked.



Strange things are afoot at the circle K.
I
IowaCougar
Sorry, I couldn't answer the poll, because there was no choice for "none of the above".
S
scott715
Well if you are looking for Karma, you got Heaps.
S
SpiffCoug
BerliNY wrote:
Salt Lake Tribune is now reporting that the Utes just suspended Josh Watkins, who apparently is the leading scorer. Things are getting better and better for them.


Wow. They may not get another win now. Their two most winnable games were coming up.
C
CougarClaw
perhaps someone should mention to them that the winning team scores MORE points than the others.



perhaps they need to lay off the golfing.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.