Archived Topic

Davies is.....

by BroncoBot · 12/4/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Struggling? I don't know why, but he seems to get too involved in personal battles instead of playing within his role and PASSING OUT OF THE KEY. He gets the ball and suddenly has blinders on and he forgets that there are 8 other players on the floor. It's frustrating because BYU has been shooting great but the vacuum in the middle hasn't given them many opportunities to catch fire.



Just some thoughts.
S
SpiffCoug
trying to do too much.
G
Guest
an embarassement!



No, I kid. The guy is great, but just not in sync with the game right now. He needs to let it come to him naturally. He needs to Jimmer it.
G
Gunk
Trying too hard. I liked that Rose pulled him after he tried to force it between 3 guys. There is plenty of room for him on the team, he just needs to play a bit more unselfishly.



Thank goodness Noah is such a beast this season. Props to Noah for his double double.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
he seems to get too involved in personal battles instead of playing

That actually may be the problem. Glad to hear he has actually confessed them to BYU as well now. It will be interesting to me to see how they handle the new info.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
he seems to get too involved in personal battles instead of playing

That actually may be the problem. Glad to hear he has actually confessed them to BYU as well now. It will be interesting to me to see how they handle the new info.


Ugh...another "Davies is doing something horrific" hint.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Ugh... another "Davies is doing something horrific" hint.

Correction: Past-tense (as far as I know), not present-tense.

There is a difference between "is doing" and "did", IMO. And a huge difference between "that wasn't me" and "okay, here's what happened..."



It looks like no new suspensions are in the works, and in short I feel a little bit better rooting for the kid again. Maybe he's just a dumb young person afterall, which is forgivable. I was once too (now I'm a dumb adult).
I
imuakahuku
I think he is trying too hard. He is trying to be the go to guy and make the basket when needed. I have noticed that many times the other players just stand and watch instead of moving around to give him other "good" options. I saw several plays in the last few games where he got the pass and was not open, looked around like he wanted to pass to a cutter or for an open three and nobody was moving so he just tried to make something happen. Hartsock has gotten a few nice passes from Davies when he cuts to the other side of the basket.

I also thiink that if he is one on one he should take it to the hoop. I don't think he can be gaurded by anyone in college basketball because he has very good moves around the basket.

On another note, I feel bad for the guys that post up. They are in such good position and pretty well open when they first post but whoever has the ball on the wing will not pass it right away. If they would pass it in as soon as they get the ball, our guys down low will have a lot more success. As it is they seem to wait for the D to respond and either get in position to double or push the post guy way out. Note to the guards and other ball handlers: when the Forwards or Center posts on the block don't wait until he is pushed out to about five feet from you before you pass it to him. PASS HIM THE BALL EARLY!!!!
M
Mars
imuakahuku wrote:
I think he is trying too hard. He is trying to be the go to guy and make the basket when needed.

I think Abouo sometimes has the same exact problem. Both are very streaky when they try to force things.
B
Brayden Green
foul prone.



And doesn't move his feet enough on defense.
Advertisement
C
cgharring
It is all about rhythm. It took him awhile to find it last year. My guess is he will find it again. At least he is passing the ball a bit out of the post now. Man for the first few games he was a black hole.



We need a presence in the post to give our outside shooters some space when they double down. If he doesn't get his rhythm this team will never reach their potential. Sadly I do think he is the most important cog to the offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
saywhat
Mars wrote:
Ugh... another "Davies is doing something horrific" hint.

Correction: Past-tense (as far as I know), not present-tense.

There is a difference between "is doing" and "did", IMO. And a huge difference between "that wasn't me" and "okay, here's what happened..."



It looks like no new suspensions are in the works, and in short I feel a little bit better rooting for the kid again. Maybe he's just a dumb young person afterall, which is forgivable. I was once too (now I'm a dumb adult).


Are you kidding me? This is pathetic if true. A sweep under the rug. Apparently BYU only holds to its standards when the press finds out about it and pushes them. Brandon hasn't done one thing honorable yet but he's all the sudden okay in your book. He hasn't even been honest when asked. Good thing that's not part of the honor code either. Im glad star athletes get everything brushed aside for the sake of being young and dumb....at least that only happens at other schools..right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
saywhat wrote:



Are you kidding me? This is pathetic if true. A sweep under the rug. Apparently BYU only holds to its standards when the press finds out about it and pushes them. Brandon hasn't done one thing honorable yet but he's all the sudden okay in your book. He hasn't even been honest when asked. Good thing that's not part of the honor code either. Im glad star athletes get everything brushed aside for the sake of being young and dumb....at least that only happens at other schools..right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


you sure are quick to lambaste BYU and Davies over a rumor that you yourself don't know anything about.
C
CougarClaw
bump
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:



Are you kidding me? This is pathetic if true. A sweep under the rug. Apparently BYU only holds to its standards when the press finds out about it and pushes them. Brandon hasn't done one thing honorable yet but he's all the sudden okay in your book. He hasn't even been honest when asked. Good thing that's not part of the honor code either. Im glad star athletes get everything brushed aside for the sake of being young and dumb....at least that only happens at other schools..right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


you sure are quick to lambaste BYU and Davies over a rumor that you yourself don't know anything about.


Saywhat is close to the situation. That much I can personally vouch for.



I learned long ago there are always two sides to every coin and in this matter I'm only privy to what BYU officially says and what people I'm unfamiliar with have to say on the situation. Consequently, I abstain from judgment on the matter, and if I were in Davies' place or in anyone else’s place pertaining to this matter that's what I would hope for from outsiders too.



Indifference on the matter from people uninformed of details should not be interpreted as tolerance or acceptance.



If Davies isn't being truthful or honest, that's too bad and eventually it will catch up to him. What's going on in his personal life is between him, his bishop and anyone else involved. Not mine, and unless invited I'm not going to stick my nose in it.



Unfortunately, it's quite possible for any student at BYU to break the honor code and hide it. For every one athlete that gets the "star treatment" there are hundreds of regular BYU students that get the same treatment. I knew plenty of students at BYU that were getting away with all sorts of stuff.



Saywhat, if you're so privy to un-honorable behavior on the part of Davies, then why not report him to the Honor Code office?
Advertisement
S
saywhat
sure are quick to lambaste BYU and Davies over a rumor that you yourself don't know anything about.[/quote]



How do you know I don't? I only didn't know he had finally gone in to report it. I don't know as much anymore.
S
saywhat
Gunk wrote:
saywhat wrote:



Are you kidding me? This is pathetic if true. A sweep under the rug. Apparently BYU only holds to its standards when the press finds out about it and pushes them. Brandon hasn't done one thing honorable yet but he's all the sudden okay in your book. He hasn't even been honest when asked. Good thing that's not part of the honor code either. Im glad star athletes get everything brushed aside for the sake of being young and dumb....at least that only happens at other schools..right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


you sure are quick to lambaste BYU and Davies over a rumor that you yourself don't know anything about.


Saywhat is close to the situation. That much I can personally vouch for.



I learned long ago there are always two sides to every coin and in this matter I'm only privy to what BYU officially says and what people I'm unfamiliar with have to say on the situation. Consequently, I abstain from judgment on the matter, and if I were in Davies' place or in anyone else’s place pertaining to this matter that's what I would hope for from outsiders too.



Indifference on the matter from people uninformed of details should not be interpreted as tolerance or acceptance.



If Davies isn't being truthful or honest, that's too bad and eventually it will catch up to him. What's going on in his personal life is between him, his bishop and anyone else involved. Not mine, and unless invited I'm not going to stick my nose in it.



Unfortunately, it's quite possible for any student at BYU to break the honor code and hide it. For every one athlete that gets the "star treatment" there are hundreds of regular BYU students that get the same treatment. I knew plenty of students at BYU that were getting away with all sorts of stuff.



Saywhat, if you're so privy to un-honorable behavior on the part of Davies, then why not report him to the Honor Code office?


I could. Thought about it many times. Hoped he would take the opportunity to set things right on his own. Probably didn't happen that way from what Mars said. He didn't the first time, I'm not sure why I thought he would this time.
S
SpiffCoug
The Honor Code doesn't require you to report Davies. It calls on students to encourage others to keep the Honor Code. Maybe you'd be better speaking with Davies or someone who could actually work to help Davies. I'm sure his bishop would speak to you. You could probably get some time with Coach Rose.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
The Honor Code doesn't require you to report Davies. It calls on students to encourage others to keep the Honor Code. Maybe you'd be better speaking with Davies or someone who could actually work to help Davies. I'm sure his bishop would speak to you. You could probably get some time with Coach Rose.

Then again, if you called coach Rose, you're risking permanent hearing damage due to that whistle he keeps in his office.



I hope that someone gets this. :)
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:
The Honor Code doesn't require you to report Davies. It calls on students to encourage others to keep the Honor Code. Maybe you'd be better speaking with Davies or someone who could actually work to help Davies. I'm sure his bishop would speak to you. You could probably get some time with Coach Rose.

Then again, if you called coach Rose, you're risking permanent hearing damage due to that whistle he keeps in his office.



I hope that someone gets this. :)

I get it. Hopefully, if you knew something like saywhat seems to know, Rose would probably meet in person.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.