Archived Topic

Nate austin.

by BroncoBot · 12/3/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Favorite guy to watch at BYU right now.



either this kid is a natural or Pope is doing a superb job.
D
Dcr36
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.
B
BerliNY
Dcr36 wrote:
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.


... and I have a new man crush. Dude is a baller.
B
BerliNY
BerliNY wrote:
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.


... and I have a new man crush. Dude is a baller.


Future looks bright but I wonder where this has been so far this season.



For now I'm just calling this a break-out game and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Y
Yndian
BerliNY wrote:
Dcr36 wrote:
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.


... and I have a new man crush. Dude is a baller.


Future looks bright but I wonder where this has been so far this season.



For now I'm just calling this a break-out game and I'll keep my fingers crossed.


Two games, he played extremely well against NAU on Wednesday.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BerliNY wrote:
Dcr36 wrote:
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.


... and I have a new man crush. Dude is a baller.


Future looks bright but I wonder where this has been so far this season.



For now I'm just calling this a break-out game and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Austin has been a hustler all year and contributed significantly for the playing time he has seen. He had a nice game against NAU. He's only a freshman so I think rose has been breaking him in slowly.
G
Guest
Very happy with the way he's coming along. He'll be a great baller in the future.
G
Gunk
Love the guy and what he brings. He did not look like a freshman at all out there. Plays tough. Moves where he's supposed to be and played nice defense. He was better than Davies out there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


He has been the surprise of the season so far.

Cusick is my choice for 2nd. True non-preferred walk-on replaces The Jimmer.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


He has been the surprise of the season so far.

Cusick is my choice for 2nd. True non-preferred walk-on replaces The Jimmer.


Cusick has been a bit of a surprise. As to him replacing the Jimmer, that's a lot to put on a kid as a true freshman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Mars wrote:


He has been the surprise of the season so far.

Cusick is my choice for 2nd. True non-preferred walk-on replaces The Jimmer.


Agree about Austin being the surprise of the team so far. I think you can add Noah to the list too. He seems a little trimmer/quicker and has definitely improved his post play. Noah was pretty good last year but if the game is on the line this year I think we have to put it in Noah's hands. Abouo still can't finish a lay-up in traffic and Davies is trying way too hard. Cusick looked pretty bad last night against Oregon. He played timid and was very slow to rotate on defense. He was killing the momentum at the end of the 1st half and Rose quickly brought Winder back in. Zylstra is also terrible on defense and I'm just not a fan. Would rather see Rogers get his playing time as a starter. I think we need the depth that Carlino and CC would bring to the team. Sharp has been serviceable but after watching Austin and Davies foul out last night I think we could really use CC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Current BYU players that don't suck at defense:



1- Charles Abouo

2- Noah Hartsock

3- Brandon Davies (charge-taking World Champ)

4- Uh... Nate Austin (I haven't paid close enough attention to his D yet)

5- Uhhh.....
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


Current BYU players that don't suck at defense:



1- Charles Abouo

2- Noah Hartsock

3- Brandon Davies (charge-taking World Champ)

4- Uh... Nate Austin (I haven't paid close enough attention to his D yet)

5- Uhhh.....


Hmmm...I think the rest of the list for defense goes like this:



Winder > Cusic

Zylstra > Harrison

Rogers > Sharp



Nate Austin is tall and moves his feet real well. He gets in trouble with his D when it tries to reach in with his hands. If he keeps them out or up, he's pretty hard to get around. It's early, but he may be harder to push off the block than Davies.
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Winder > Cusic

Zylstra > Harrison

Rogers > Sharp

Thanks for the comparison. It gives me a little more info than "all 6 are bad". Though Martineau sucks worse than Cusick, right?
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:


Current BYU players that don't suck at defense:



1- Charles Abouo

2- Noah Hartsock

3- Brandon Davies (charge-taking World Champ)

4- Uh... Nate Austin (I haven't paid close enough attention to his D yet)

5- Uhhh.....


Hmmm...I think the rest of the list for defense goes like this:



Winder > Cusic

Zylstra > Harrison

Rogers > Sharp



Nate Austin is tall and moves his feet real well. He gets in trouble with his D when it tries to reach in with his hands. If he keeps them out or up, he's pretty hard to get around. It's early, but he may be harder to push off the block than Davies.


Really Zylstra > Harrison on DEFENSE?? I don't buy that



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Zylstra isn't anywhere near Harrison at guarding a 1 or a 2. At a 3, maybe. But that is only because Harrison isn't suited to play a 3.





Really not following you there.





The only reason Zylstra is getting PT at this point is he can hit the 3 with consistency, and he rebounds occasionally more than your average guard.
G
Gunk
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Zylstra isn't anywhere near Harrison at guarding a 1 or a 2. At a 3, maybe. But that is only because Harrison isn't suited to play a 3.





Really not following you there.





The only reason Zylstra is getting PT at this point is he can hit the 3 with consistency, and he rebounds occasionally more than your average guard.


Problem with Harrison on D at this point is he has a bit of trouble staying in position and rotating, particularly when in the zone. IMO, Brock is a bit more disciplined in that regard.



Man to man, I'd give Harrison the edge.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
Winder > Cusic

Zylstra > Harrison

Rogers > Sharp

Thanks for the comparison. It gives me a little more info than "all 6 are bad". Though Martineau sucks worse than Cusick, right?


Yeah. I'd say it goes Winder > Cusic > Martineau



With Carlino coming on board Cusic is going to see a lot less minutes. Unless Winder rotates over to the 2.



All in all, though, I'd say this team is better defensively than last year's team and one of the better defensive teams we've had in a while.
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
All in all, though, I'd say this team is better defensively than last year's team and one of the better defensive teams we've had in a while.

Agreed. I like Winder/Harrison/Abouo/Hartsock/Davies. But I dream of Carlino/Abouo/Rogers/Hartsock/Davies.
B
bigbluepuma
declocoug wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
Austin's playing style looks tough. You've got to love a player who looks like he's putting 100% of his body and heart in the game.


... and I have a new man crush. Dude is a baller.


Future looks bright but I wonder where this has been so far this season.



For now I'm just calling this a break-out game and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Austin has been a hustler all year and contributed significantly for the playing time he has seen. He had a nice game against NAU. He's only a freshman so I think rose has been breaking him in slowly.




He's also just off a mission. He needs to be brought along at a reasonable pace to protect him. Remember Hartsock after his mission? He was, of necessity thrown to the wolves and ended up injured. I remember reading a lot of very negative comments about him his first two years in the program. I always thought that the only problem Noah had was never having a chance to play "in shape, ready and healthy." Now that he is all of those things, and on a team that doesn't revolve around Jimmer, we are seeing what Noah is capable of.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.