Archived Topic

I'm usually more depressed as season ends

by byutx · 12/3/2011

Advertisement
B
byutx
I am looking forward to our game tonight against Hawaii, and our bowl game in 4 weeks, but this is the first time maybe ever that I'm not sad that the season is coming to an end and I'm wondering if others feel the same. I'm sure it's because of our failures on the field and all the QB and team chemistry issues. This time last year I felt much better about where we were going. I'm sure it's also because our rivalry game was played in September and also because we didn't play our traditional conference rivals. Destroying UNLV and New Mexico meant more to me than destroying Idaho and New Mexico State. Having said that, I do think there is a little more meaning to tonight's game, which will partially rescue us from 4 weeks of garbage and bye weeks.



But I'm not just a BYU fan, I'm also a college football fan. Talk about a terrible year. The Sandusky stuff alone is crazy-that might be the biggest sports news story in my lifetime, though it's not really about sports directly. But with the OSU, Miami and other cheating scandals and the terrible selfishness exhibited in conference realignment talks and UCLA playing in the Pac-12 championship game, I think I'm looking forward to move on from this year.



But, it could be worse-we could be yewt fans, reeling after going 0-4 last week in fb/bb combined against some terrible, terrible teams a couple bad ones and one decent one. Good times. Regardless of how our bb team does this year, it will be fun to see if utah reaches 4 wins.



Go Cougars!
C
Cougarbib
byutx wrote:
I am looking forward to our game tonight against Hawaii, and our bowl game in 4 weeks, but this is the first time maybe ever that I'm not sad that the season is coming to an end and I'm wondering if others feel the same. I'm sure it's because of our failures on the field and all the QB and team chemistry issues. This time last year I felt much better about where we were going. I'm sure it's also because our rivalry game was played in September and also because we didn't play our traditional conference rivals. Destroying UNLV and New Mexico meant more to me than destroying Idaho and New Mexico State. Having said that, I do think there is a little more meaning to tonight's game, which will partially rescue us from 4 weeks of garbage and bye weeks.



But I'm not just a BYU fan, I'm also a college football fan. Talk about a terrible year. The Sandusky stuff alone is crazy-that might be the biggest sports news story in my lifetime, though it's not really about sports directly. But with the OSU, Miami and other cheating scandals and the terrible selfishness exhibited in conference realignment talks and UCLA playing in the Pac-12 championship game, I think I'm looking forward to move on from this year.



But, it could be worse-we could be yewt fans, reeling after going 0-4 last week in fb/bb combined against some terrible, terrible teams a couple bad ones and one decent one. Good times. Regardless of how our bb team does this year, it will be fun to see if utah reaches 4 wins.



Go Cougars!


Maybe Utes can match our 1-win season or even better us and not win any - or did they already find a crappy team to beat?
M
MTM
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Regardless of how our bb team does this year, it will be fun to see if utah reaches 4 wins.



Go Cougars!


Maybe Utes can match our 1-win season or even better us and not win any - or did they already find a crappy team to beat?[/quote]



The Utes beat San Diego Christian College...by 3...at home. :~(



And I'm afraid that could very well be the lone win this season.



It's really unbelievable how bad Utah basketball has become.
S
scott715
They won? I am shocked.
S
stuckinbig10country
I agree that I'm usually more down about the end of the season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Quick, somebody knock on wood!
D
Dcr36
Football-wise, I've actually enjoyed this year.



On a nation-wide level, a lot of good games that I'll remember for a while. TCU-Baylor, MSU-Wisconsin, USC-Stanford, USC-Oregon, Ok. State-ISU, just off the top of my head. Aside from the Big East and the Sun Belt, every conference provided some entertaining football. I even liked the Wed-Thur MAC nights, and there's a pretty good C-USA championship on right now.



As far as BYU football is concerned, it wasn't a great year but after I adjusted my expectations it still had its moments. BYU-USU was a great game to witness first-hand this year. One of the best LES atmospheres I can remember in the last few years. Yeah, it's kind of depressing that a game against USU could be a season highlight, but a lot of that has to do with USU actually being pretty good these days.



What came close to ruining this season, for me, was sports media, on both a local and national level. More interest in college football realignment politics than the actual game. (In BYU's case, I sympathize there - not a lot to talk about in November this year.) Utah media has been in full-on "troll mode" for the last five or six weeks.



The Penn State stuff is depressing, but I HATED 80% of the press coverage it received. Paterno didn't deserve most of the sympathy that some of the Penn State faithful were giving him, but on the other hand I hate how Joe Paterno was made out to be more of a demon than a human being. People who come to represent major institutions frequently turn a blind eye to major wrongdoings when it could jeopardize the good name of said institutions. It's an interesting ethical and psychological phenomenon, and one people could stand to learn from in case they're ever in a similar position. Instead, journalists made such a villain out of Paterno that I'm afraid that element was lost on a lot of people.
S
snoscythe
byutx-



I think another part of it is the fact that we are getting older, our kids are getting older, and so we have less time to invest in college football in general, so my attachment to it as a whole is a lot less than it used to be in years past. All the reasons you cited just made it easier to go to soccer etc. rather than watching whatever game happened to be on.
Y
Yndian
snoscythe wrote:
byutx-



I think another part of it is the fact that we are getting older, our kids are getting older, and so we have less time to invest in college football in general, so my attachment to it as a whole is a lot less than it used to be in years past. All the reasons you cited just made it easier to go to soccer etc. rather than watching whatever game happened to be on.


Same here.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
byutx-



I think another part of it is the fact that we are getting older, our kids are getting older, and so we have less time to invest in college football in general, so my attachment to it as a whole is a lot less than it used to be in years past. All the reasons you cited just made it easier to go to soccer etc. rather than watching whatever game happened to be on.

Great point.
Advertisement
B
byutx
snoscythe wrote:
byutx-



I think another part of it is the fact that we are getting older, our kids are getting older, and so we have less time to invest in college football in general, so my attachment to it as a whole is a lot less than it used to be in years past. All the reasons you cited just made it easier to go to soccer etc. rather than watching whatever game happened to be on.


What? WHAT? I didn't quite hear you. Oops, I crapped my pants.



Good point. Also, running a new law firm has taken its toll.



Having said that, if we were BCS-bound I'd feel differently.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.