Archived Topic

The Caffeine Question

by Metallicat · 12/2/2011

Advertisement
M
Metallicat
When people ask you if Mormon's can drink coke/pepsi etc, what is your answer? My reply goes something like this:



"We believe that if you're worhty to go to the temple you are living your life in accordance to the gospel. In order to go to the temple you have to have a temple recommend for which you have an interview with church leaders. "Do you drink pepsi?" is not part of the interview. So you can still drink caffeinated sodas and be in line with the gospel."



Just curious what others say. Is it easier just to say "We can drink Soda, just not Achohol, coffee or tea."?
S
snoscythe
I just say, "We don't drink tea or coffee, and some Mormons go the extra mile and don't drink anything with caffeine, but there's no official policy about it, otherwise we'd have to put down chocolate and excedrin as well. As for me, I know the stuff is bad for me, but I can't kick the habit."
S
scott715
I get kidney stones and it contributes to them. I don't touch the stuff.
G
Guest
I say it's a personal preference.
J
jvquarterback
Larry King: No to caffeine?



Gordon B. Hinckley: No to caffeine, coffee and tea.



I stopped drinking caffeine after this. I still think it is a good drug when used for headaches (just like cocaine and marijuana have their proper uses). But I don't use it for recreation or as a performance enhancer.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
The only official response from the church regarding cola was this (released in 1972):



With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.



Here's a link to the First Presidency message (It is under the heading Mormon Medical Ethical Guidelines on page 103).
N
nuk13
snoscythe wrote:
I just say, "We don't drink tea or coffee, and some Mormons go the extra mile and don't drink anything with caffeine, but there's no official policy about it, otherwise we'd have to put down chocolate and excedrin as well. As for me, I know the stuff is bad for me, but I can't kick the habit."


I like your statement, "and some Mormons (I might sub LDS) go the extra mile". As some of you others have pointed out the coke drinks are not good for you but you can drink it and still get a recomend. I have heard that pop is more acidic that even coffee. I also see people drinking 6 to 12 pops a day. That is a lot of why I cut it out. I was drinking the stuff daily and I'm very glad to be rid of it. I do not miss it. Good luck to you that are working on tossing it. Your body will love it.
M
Metallicat
I like Sno's answer too. I think I'll adopt some version of that. I am actually not a big soda drinker. I usually only drink it when it's available for free, which right now happens to be almost every lunch and dinner.
M
Metallicat
scott715 wrote:
I get kidney stones and it contributes to them. I don't touch the stuff.


I feel your pain :~(
S
snoscythe
jvquarterback wrote:
The only official response from the church regarding cola was this (released in 1972):



With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.



Here's a link to the First Presidency message (It is under the heading Mormon Medical Ethical Guidelines on page 103).


I like how you called it the "official response" from the church when the statement itself says "the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter."



There's another "official" response in the Handbook: "The only official interpretation of “hot drinks” (D&C 89:9) in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early Church leaders that the term “hot drinks” means tea and coffee. Members should not use any substance that contains illegal drugs. Nor should members use harmful or habit-forming substances except under the care of a competent physician."



There have been other authorities, including prophets who have addressed caffeine:



President Kimball: I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, 'But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug.' With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them.



Bruce R. McConkie: "Some unstable people become cranks...There is no prohibition in Section 89 as to the eating of white sugar, cocoa, chocolate...or anything else except items classified under tea, coffee, tobacco and liquor. If some particular food disagrees with an individual, then that person should act accordingly without reference to the prohibitions in this particular law of health."



In the end, it's up to the individual members to decide. Even the "official" position of the Church isn't clear cut. Drinks containing harmful habit-forming drugs are prohibited on "under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit," but any beverage that contains "ingredients harmful to the body" should be avoided. So the question would be is this a circumstance that would result in acquiring the habit, and is this an ingredient harmful to the body? Caffeine consumption reduces overall risk of cancer, but slightly increases risk of bladder cancer. It reduces the likelihood of type-2 diabetes. It increases the efficacy of many medications, and it reduces instances of liver cirrhosis. On the downside, infrequent partakers can suffer from a diuretic side effect, and frequent users can suffer from 'caffeinism.' On the balance, the consenus on caffeine seems to be that caffeine, when taken in moderation is a beneficial substance in that it protects against a number of diseases and conditions, including cancer. The harmful effects of caffeinism arise only in individuals who consume large amounts over a long period of time (large amounts being something like 3.5 liters of Mountain Dew or four cups of coffee a day over an extended period of time), and any substance can be harmful if you intake too much of it (see: water poisoning). So, is this a substance "harmful to the body?"



The point is this--there still is no official policy about caffeine. If there was an official policy, it would have been simple for President Hinckley to make it official. Granted his opinion carries more weight than most, but unless he is speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost, it's not the word of the Lord, and it's up to each individual to determine if that statement was made in a circumstance to render it scripture to the world. My opinion is that it wasn't otherwise it would be more clearly reflected in the subsequent "official position" of the church. Cautious Mormons don't drink caffeinated sodas, but they still eat chocolate, which belies the fact that they don't truly believe there is a carte blanche prohibition of caffeine.



Even under the "official position" of the church, if it's harmful to the body, anything containing caffeine is out, not just colas and mountain dew. If it's a habit forming substance, and it's not illegal, it's up to the individual to partake of it under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit, and those who choose not to partake should not be engaged in judging those who do partake,
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I say "that's not true, we can drink caffeinated beverages. We do, however, avoid coffee and tea because they contain many harmful substances beyond just caffeine."
J
jvquarterback
Snocythe why do you like that I said that the official response of the First Presidency to the whole of the church is that the church has never officially taken a position? I think we agree on this but that is the only time (to my knowledge) colas have been specifically and officially addressed by the First Presidency.



Regarding the consensus you say exists regarding caffeine and cancer there is no high level data on the subject upon which to base any consensus. The best you can say is there is may be a very small correlation with respect to cancer (incredibly small at that) but different studies have shown benefits and detriments.



BTW if anyone wants to feel even more Puritan angst you should check out what John A Widstoe said about chocolate.
S
SpiffCoug
jvquarterback wrote:
Snocythe why do you like that I said that the official response of the First Presidency to the whole of the church is that the church has never officially taken a position?

It's just humorous/ironic that the official position is there is no official position.
M
Mars


If Caffeine is the Question, then Yes is the Answer.
H
HoosierCougar
For non-initates, I go with a mix of "It's not strictly prohibited, but among cultural cliques, it is shunned" and some form of the McConkie quote "If some particular food disagrees with an individual, then that person should act accordingly without reference to the prohibitions in this particular law of health."



For the LDS asking the question of the OP, I relate the following:



Chocolate is not prohibited. It contains caffiene. For that matter, neither is pineapple (which contains alcohol).



When my grandparents went on a mission to Sri Lanka in 1980, then Elder Faust advised them to avoid local water, milk and juice. He told them to drink carbonated beverages because the CO2 would kill most of the bad stuff that got into their systems. He specifically told them to seek out drinks bottled by American companies, like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, because of the standards the mother ships would require of their local affiliates.



My Grandfather found both Coke and Pepsi distasteful (apprently that's genetic, 'cause I can't stand them), but found he really enjoyed RC Cola. Basically he got addicted and drank it until he passed away.



By this time their eyes usually glaze over and they either leave me alone or change the subject. ;)
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I usually wait until i find someone who swears by caffeine and then I get right in their face and tell them they're going to hell.



That always works.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.