Archived Topic

BYU vs NAU

by Gunk · 12/1/2011

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Wasn't much of a game. After missing our first 5 shots we settled down and ran them out of their own building.



Zylstra shot lights out going 8/10 and finishing with 23 points. Good game from him.



Noah was consistent as usual, logging 3 blocks. He needs about 30 more to move into 3rd place on the all-time blocks list.



Davies did a good job this game playing within himself and passing the ball back out. We need that from him on Sat against Oregon.



Suprise of the night was Nate Austin knocking down jumpers and hitting a three. Who knew the kid could shoot!
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Wasn't much of a game. After missing our first 5 shots we settled down and ran them out of their own building.

Wasn't their typical home building.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
Wasn't much of a game. After missing our first 5 shots we settled down and ran them out of their own building.

Wasn't their typical home building.


That's right...it was just their hosted Lumberjack Classic. My bad.
E
EM_Puma
I don't know what is missing from this team, but even in this win and specific stellar performances, something just doesn't flow right with this team and i don't know what it is. I'm guessing that it's mainly the difference in a Jimmer run offense where he drove to the basket last year to where there seems to be few that attempt that same level of offense this season. NAU was doing that more in the second half and in whatching what BB games I have on ESPN this season, that's more the offense I see from others that I don't see from us. So could be that I just need to get used to that offensive mindset, but something out there just does not seem to run smoothly.
Q
Qman
We just don't have a lot of ability to break down a defense by driving with the ball. Abouo can given the right matchup and when the defense is a half a step late.



Harrison and Carlino are who I hope to do this. Winder may have the ability but not the confidence and experience to when and be ready to attack.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
That's what I was trying to remember and I don't specifically was whether Jimmer always had a game where he tried often to drive to the rim. I know for certain it was there his senior year and junior, but was it something that developed beginning in his sophmore year? I just don't remember that specifically.



What I like about that style of offense is the amount of fouls it cranks. The second half of the game NAU was driving and BYU was fouling. It's a pretty sure formula. I hope Carlino does bring the drive-to-the-rim style of offense.
D
Dcr36
Gotta give props to NAU's band - they were playing wacky stuff all night. Did anyone catch that they played "Bedroom Intruder" during one of the timeouts?
B
BroncoBot
Qman wrote:
We just don't have a lot of ability to break down a defense by driving with the ball. Abouo can given the right matchup and when the defense is a half a step late.



Harrison and Carlino are who I hope to do this. Winder may have the ability but not the confidence and experience to when and be ready to attack.

Agreed. It would be nice to have someone who is a threat to defenses going outside in.
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:
That's what I was trying to remember and I don't specifically was whether Jimmer always had a game where he tried often to drive to the rim. I know for certain it was there his senior year and junior, but was it something that developed beginning in his sophmore year? I just don't remember that specifically.



What I like about that style of offense is the amount of fouls it cranks. The second half of the game NAU was driving and BYU was fouling. It's a pretty sure formula. I hope Carlino does bring the drive-to-the-rim style of offense.


I am definitely interested to see what Carlino brings to the floor. I am keeping my expectations low.



No, we don't have someone that can take it off the dribble and create like Jimmer did. Few teams have a Jimmer, but dominant, creative guard play is definitely a key to successful NCAA teams.



We got spoiled with Jimmer the last two seasons, but we need to keep in mind aside from Jimmer when else has BYU had a guy that could consistently take into the paint or shoot off the dribble? Hansen and Lyday are the only other two that come to mind right now.



Winder has potential as does Harrison. Both are freshmen. Carlino has just about as much experience as they do. It wasn't until Jimmer's junior season that he really took off, so we need to give these guys a bit of leeway. Good news is the future is bright in that regard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
OK, I'll show my age - I was thinking of Ainge.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.