Archived Topic

Who will be the featured RB next year?

by golong · 11/28/2011

Advertisement
G
golong
I'm not sure BYU has ever been as stocked at RB as they will be next year. Quezada is back, Alisa is back, and Pritchard will be back. Plus, Hine will be in the mix. My question is, who will be the featured back? Prior to his injury, Pritchard seemed to be THEE guy, then Alisa comes on like the real deal. Hine is supposed to be the real deal, and Quezada, although he kind of disappeared this year, must be considered capable of being THEE guy in the backfield.
S
Schmoe
The coaches are already leaning pretty heavily on Alisa this year. With JJ and The Whopper gone, he'll get the most looks with Juice as a role player.
D
Dwight
We will have to see how well Pritchard recovers from his ankle fracture. Some injuries are hard to "fully recover" from. He will likely play a similar role to Vakapuna. I think Alisa will be utilized most, but not in a dominant way like Harvey Unga. I think Juice and Alisa, with a bit more action from the full back position will make the running game more balanced.
J
jonnylingo
Alisa is no question going to be the feature back unless q is able to unseat him. You could see hine get More reps as year goes on if he is as good as advertised.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
trueblue72
Would it he possible to see Q and heaps redshirt together? I think with having an actual fullback we will see better running, we do get back pili and Anthony heimuli back as well, this will give us more fb options. I see alisa putting on 10-15 lbs and being the feature back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Pritchard will be a fullback. Juice will get better if he can avoid injuries. I think that Alisa will get the bulk of the carries.



I'm very interested to see how Hine is used. Will he play offense or defense? Will he be used like Reno Mahe was back in the day?
C
Cougarbib
Have any of these guys demonstrated pass catching skills we lose with JJ and Kariya. Falslev may figure in slot. Also, several will be decent. I have not seen any looking dominant as a runner. Speed is decent, but not scary.



Have to admit, I have not seen enough to evaluate Hine or Pritchard. Any miraculous possibility that we would ever see Phillips back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Bluma
Drew Phillips impressed me the most with his playmaking abilities. Too bad that didn't work out. Alisa has proven himself for the most part. Quezada has been hyped on many fan boards, but he's pretty short and has average speed at best. Alisa is bigger and faster.



I still long for a RB who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. BYU has really been missing that since the days of Jenkins, Staley, and Braithwaite. I thought Phillips could be a homerun threat, but I guess not. DiLuigi has had some big runs, but he gets caught from behind a lot and they are few and far between.



At least we had Collie and Watkins as big play receivers for a span of 5 years.
S
Schmoe
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Have any of these guys demonstrated pass catching skills we lose with JJ and Kariya.


Seems like Juice has decent hands. IIRC his first TD was a nice catch in the endzone.
J
jonnylingo
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Have any of these guys demonstrated pass catching skills we lose with JJ and Kariya. Falslev may figure in slot. Also, several will be decent. I have not seen any looking dominant as a runner. Speed is decent, but not scary.



Have to admit, I have not seen enough to evaluate Hine or Pritchard. Any miraculous possibility that we would ever see Phillips back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Alisa and Q have both been good at catching.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Pritchard is a fullback so will not be featured as far as running. He will probably catch out of the backfield though. The featured backs next year will be Alisa and Q. Alisa will probably be the starter unless Q can unseat him like has been said before.
G
Guest
Hard to imagine Alisa not being the go to guy.



Having kept the season RBER this year, it's hard to imagine Quezada being able to turn around his extremely poor RBER and become efficient.



Quezada on the season is 51.3. Compare that to Alisa who is at 86.15. Remember that a 100 score is what we consider to be an efficient runner. That gives Josh a solid F.
L
Lawboy
Do not overlook Hine. He has been voted scout team POW, and gets to make the trip to Hawaii this week as a result. By all accounts I have heard, he keeps getting better. In fact, I have been told our scout team is the best is has been in Bronco's 7 years, which means better talent and more depth.



FWIW, Hine and Houk have been the beasts on offense for the scout team this year.



Ithink it comes down to Alisa and Hine next year, with Juice the 3rd option again.
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
Do not overlook Hine. He has been voted scout team POW, and gets to make the trip to Hawaii this week as a result. By all accounts I have heard, he keeps getting better. In fact, I have been told our scout team is the best is has been in Bronco's 7 years, which means better talent and more depth.



FWIW, Hine and Houk have been the beasts on offense for the scout team this year.



Ithink it comes down to Alisa and Hine next year, with Juice the 3rd option again.


I think you're right. I really hope we get to see Hine shine, as he has a ton of potential.
M
mizzoucoug
In Alisa's short time out there he has proven to be the best back and I don't even think it's close. If Juice had breakaway speed I'd give him more carries, but he is about as average a runner as they come. Does Hine have wheels? I honestly don't know.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
trueblue72 wrote:
Would it he possible to see Q and heaps redshirt together? I think with having an actual fullback we will see better running, we do get back pili and Anthony heimuli back as well, this will give us more fb options. I see alisa putting on 10-15 lbs and being the feature back.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Q should have redshirted this year. With his health issues in the first few games, coaches should have tagged him for a medical hardship and not lost a year with him.
I
Isola
I think Alisa gets the bulk of the carries, with Nelson getting the second most, then Q.



I actually wonder if Foote won't get more regular carries. Hine could get the change of pace carries, but I think Q gets the bulk of back up carries.
C
cougarnerd
I think it would be predominantly Alisa...others would be used frequently, but none as commonly as him.
J
JamieVallen
What? No talk of Jamal Williams? Guy is gonna be good!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bigbluepuma
Bluma wrote:
Drew Phillips impressed me the most with his playmaking abilities. Too bad that didn't work out. Alisa has proven himself for the most part. Quezada has been hyped on many fan boards, but he's pretty short and has average speed at best. Alisa is bigger and faster.



I still long for a RB who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. BYU has really been missing that since the days of Jenkins, Staley, and Braithwaite. I thought Phillips could be a homerun threat, but I guess not. DiLuigi has had some big runs, but he gets caught from behind a lot and they are few and far between.



At least we had Collie and Watkins as big play receivers for a span of 5 years.


Hine was that guy in HS, and maybe could be at this level.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.