Archived Topic

Armed Forces Bowl Opponent - SMU or Tulsa?

by Cougarbib · 11/27/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Who do you want and why? Be sure to coment.



Talk about mysteries. BYU is definitely in and has already been offered and accepted. Don't you wish conference realignment went that way. Offered and accepted. I digress.



I read in various places that we would play the 3rd Conference USA Team. I jumped to the conclusion that this would have to be Tulsa - clearly the 3rd place team and ranked right near us. But then Jerry - the guy that predicts BCS rankings and Bowl match-ups still has us projected to go vs SMU.



Wrubel tweeted that he has asked the Bowl for clarification on their criteria. But he has not goten any.



So I turned to WIkipedia and other places an dlearned that it is the 3rd choice from C-USA not necessarily the 3rd place team. There are also caveats about Army and Navy and various things if a conference does not have enough bowl eligble teams - but that does not seem to apply this year.



So I loked up the history of the Bowl game to see what has happend in the past. Utah has beaten Tulsa in that bowl. BSU has beaten TCU. I digress. It just is not definitive about how things get picked.



But here is the interesting part. This game is normally, and will soon again be, played at TCU's stadium - which is undergoing renovation right now. So, it has temporarily been moved to - you guessed it - SMU's home field.



Thus SMU may very well be the 3rd choice picked from C-USA. Miracle Bowl rematch. I would rather have that in The Holiday Bowl in San Diego than on their home field. There should be a law that prevents a team from getting a Bowl on their home field. I digress.



Other than that, we stack up better vs SMU than we do vs Tulsa and even Tulsa would have an advantage re fan access to that Bowl Game.



Anyway - I guess we better quit salivating about Tulsa - as it may very well be SMU. It should be one of those two.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Bowl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L
loonmj
I prefer Tulsa since they are the better team, and BYU needs to test themselves against better teams. Tulsa would be the best measuring stick for determining whether there has been actual improvement, unlike the fool's gold of UTEP last year.
S
Schmoe
It would be nice to beat SMU since they beat TCU.
C
Cougarbib
My heart said SMU since they beat TCU, are more of a former rival, Miracle Bowl memories, Texas, former big-time program before death penalty, etc. I also have a personal interest since Coach June Jones was at Hawaii.



But my head said, "Never spot a team home field advantage". It is like spotting 8 points or more imho. Tulsa is a better test and we will gain more in the polls if we beat them.



On a neutral field, I like our chances much better vs SMU. On SMU's field - bout equal chance either way. We will be a slight dog imho.



I would love to see a healthy RIley Nelson tear up SMU, though. I wonder if we will have a healthy Riley Nelson after UH.



Tulsa
S
stuckinbig10country
Both teams probably beat us, but it will be an interesting game, so that's good.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Both teams probably beat us...


Based on what, exactly?
L
Lawboy
We beT both those teams this year. But I prefer Tulsa. Better record equals better match up. And who really wants to play a team on their home field in a bowl game anyway?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Tulsa is the better team so I choose them. If Houston wins the conf championship game they will go BCS. Tulsa then could go liberty, S Miss the 2nd pick then SMU for us. If Houston losses, S Miss liberty, Houston 2nd and Tulsa should be 3rd.
C
cougarnerd
I would prefer SMU. They beat TCU, and to me, they seem like a better team. Not to mention that it's their home field. I thought it would be a tougher match-up than Tulsa, and I am confident that we win, regardless of who's our QB that game. Jake's improved some, but Nelson adds that running factor. Either should perform.
A
a1247
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Both teams probably beat us, but it will be an interesting game, so that's good.


You will have to explain to my why you think this. I went and looked at both teams records and the teams they played and I didnt come away impressed. Tulsa has played 4 really good teams and got thumped by all 4 teams and beat a bunch of poor teams and so has SMU. If anything these 2 teams are more like BYU's twin. It doesnt matter which team goes to the bowl game it should be a good game. I dont like having to play SMU on there own field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
golong
This BYU team is a bit of a puzzle. The team probably should have been an 0-5 team, but for Van Now, Nelson, and a poor game by CFU. The offense was supposed to be the strength of this year's team, but the had trouble scoring against anybody. Heaps went into a funk and stayed there--big mystery. Nelson becomes superman and bails out Doman and Bronco, or this could have been a really ugly year.



The offense never really dominates anybody, but the defense is the surprise of the year. BYU should have defeated TCU, but an inexplicable breakdown in the punting department makes them look really bad, but they weren't really bad.



Now BYU might have to win with Heaps (maybe not), but a guy named Alisa is the only guy on offense who really turned any heads (Hoffman was expected to be good, and he was), DiLuigi and Kariya perform as expected, Juice kind of disappears this year, Heaps goes into a funk this year, and Apo doesn't do anything special.



If these guys ever all come together and play to expectations, they'd score 50 on anybody (which they haven't done all year, even against really bad teams). If Van Noy gets a score in the game, and Alisa goes wild, and Hoffman returns a KO for a TD, and Heaps hits his receivers, BYU is up 35-7 at the half--against anybody.



Conclusion, it doesn't matter who we play in the bowl game, we either grow up and compete and win, or we fiddle around and lose.
J
jonnylingo
Who cares . Buy will beat either of them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y4LYFE
Schmoe wrote:
Both teams probably beat us...


Based on what, exactly?


Heaps?
S
Schmoe
Y4LYFE wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Both teams probably beat us...


Based on what, exactly?


Heaps?


I'd agree if he would be playing then.
W
Wickchad
I'm afraid to see our secondary against a good passing team. SMU torched TCU's secondary. I'd probably prefer Tulsa because I think we match up better against them and there is less of a chance that we lose.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
I'd prefer Tulsa, just because of the home-field situation. But I'll be there, whichever team faces the Cougars! 8)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.