Archived Topic

Davies= mult turnovers, soft, tentative, weak tonight

by BroncoBot · 11/27/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Looking a little lost tonight.



EDIT: Title edited to appease the more sensitive side of some posters.
B
BoiseBYU
Harsh me thinks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Davies wasn't ready for the physical post D from Wisconsin.
B
BroncoBot
BoiseBYU wrote:
Harsh me thinks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Ha, I was just playing off the "embarrassment" theme. Didn't mean anything to be harsh. I'm glad Davies has a thicker skin than you boise! ;)



BYU did have a fantastic run after Davies left though.
G
golong
I was a little surprised at Rose's statement that "our offense is going to go through Davies in the post." I haven't seen enough from Davies to merit that approach. He does not command any kind of double team, his rebounding is mediocre, and his defense is a little soft. I'm hoping he improves significantly, but for now, he's just a fairly good body in the middle.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
declocoug wrote:
Harsh me thinks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Ha, I was just playing off the "embarrassment" theme. Didn't mean anything to be harsh. I'm glad Davies has a thicker skin than you boise! ;)



BYU did have a fantastic run after Davies left though.

I'm sure Davies skin is thicker than mine. Still think it harsh to call a student athlete an embarrassment, especially one who is the second leading scorer at the half against the number 11 team on 3 of 5 shooting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I'm sorry, I forgot it's not PC to criticize the student athlete. Also where were you're rebuttals in the "Abouo is an embarrassment" thread?





Davies did have 2 travels, fouls (one of the fouls WAY too late, but I liked the effort to try and get the charge on his other foul), and had an entry pass bounce off his knee. I'm sure he'd agree he isn't having his best game. Nothing wrong with that. IF he's wearing blue, he's good in my book rain or shine. Just like Abouo, or anyone else.
B
BoiseBYU
declocoug wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot it's not PC to criticize the student athlete. Also where were you're rebuttals in the "Abouo is an embarrassment" thread?





Davies did have 2 travels, fouls (one of the fouls WAY too late, but I liked the effort to try and get the charge on his other foul), and had an entry pass bounce off his knee. I'm sure he'd agree he isn't having his best game. Nothing wrong with that. IF he's wearing blue, he's good in my book rain or shine. Just like Abouo, or anyone else.

Criticize away! Calling Davies an embarrassment is over the top. And if it makes you feel better I think calling Charles an embarrassment was wrong too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
BoiseBYU wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot it's not PC to criticize the student athlete. Also where were you're rebuttals in the "Abouo is an embarrassment" thread?





Davies did have 2 travels, fouls (one of the fouls WAY too late, but I liked the effort to try and get the charge on his other foul), and had an entry pass bounce off his knee. I'm sure he'd agree he isn't having his best game. Nothing wrong with that. IF he's wearing blue, he's good in my book rain or shine. Just like Abouo, or anyone else.

Criticize away! Calling Davies an embarrassment is over the top. And if it makes you feel better I think calling Charles an embarrassment was wrong too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Nawh, you're just being over the top. Davies is not having a good game. Another 2 TOs this half.
I
irishcoug
I would agree with the word "Embarrassment" or with the words "Black hole." Forcing things, not elevating, turnovers, slow on defensive rotation...



Just really looks like a different player compared with last year.



Should have sat him after the third turnover in a row in the first half.
Advertisement
C
CDH
Tough to put it on one guy. Our wing guys struggled tonight to. When was the last time we made 1 3 pointer in a WHOLE game!
B
BroncoBot
CDH wrote:
Tough to put it on one guy. Our wing guys struggled tonight to. When was the last time we made 1 3 pointer in a WHOLE game!

All credit to Wisconsin (who doesn't deserve their ranking of 11 IMHO). They were the superior team on offense, defense and special teams. Took BYU out of their comfort zone and BYU did not respond well. Turned the game into a possession game shortly after the half and then hit their shots and limited BYU's (stagnant, much like the USU game) offense.



Great game if you're a badger fan.
Q
Qman
Davies hasn't hit the gym like he needed to over the off season. And it shows up against good competition.
C
Cougs_Rule
Davies was soft against some tough timbers. BUt worse were his turnovers and not passing out of the post when doubled. He was ineffective. Rose waited too long to go to Noah in the post in the 2nd half. It was kind of like the definition of insanity--doing the same thing over and over again..... Did Davies have the Heaps effect?

That said, even with 10 more points from Davies and fewer turnovers, we still lose this game. Perimeter defense was bad! The guys looked tired OR like they didn't expect to win this game.

THis team does have potential. If they can play together and the freshman come along, it is a well balanced team.

CC out again? Did i miss an announcement? I knew his knee was bothering him, but could have used his toughened and scrapiness tonight.
B
beauso79
I didn't get to see the game but after watching Davies play the last couple years I don't think anyone would mistake Davies as a power center. He's always seems to use finesse or agility to be able to score around players in the low post. From the sound of it we really could have used CC and his tenacity yesterday



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Noah is by far our best player. Most consistent and poses the most threat. Offense should run through him if anyone.



Davies forces things. Can't do anything further than 10 ft out and turns the ball over every other touch. We played better with Davies on the bench.



With the offense through Davies we have to have an inside out game, but can't do that unless Davies passes it back out. He's very reluctant to give the ball up once he gets it in his hands, which absolutely ruins the offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
It seemed to me that whenever they fed the ball to Davies everyone on the court just stopped and watched. It seemed nobody was really moving and giving him a passing option so he would eventually throw something up there. I also don't like how late the guards feed the ball into the post. It seems to me that they let the D push Davies 6 or 10 feet before they finally give him the ball. If they would quickly get it in when he first posts he would be so much closer to the basket. I sure hope Carlino runs things better.
G
Gunk
imuakahuku wrote:
It seemed to me that whenever they fed the ball to Davies everyone on the court just stopped and watched. It seemed nobody was really moving and giving him a passing option so he would eventually throw something up there. I also don't like how late the guards feed the ball into the post. It seems to me that they let the D push Davies 6 or 10 feet before they finally give him the ball. If they would quickly get it in when he first posts he would be so much closer to the basket. I sure hope Carlino runs things better.


Good observation, now that I think about it. They did take a long time to get it into him. Usually waiting and faking a pass two/three times before finally passing it in.



As for the moving around once he got the ball, I think there was some movement, but more would be nice. With his back to the basket usually someone rotated in front of him ready for a 3 point shot. Pass rarely, if ever, went back out. No one (should be Noah or Abouo) cut to the basket behind Davies. Both rotations should be happening on a regular basis.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.