Archived Topic

Worst Places To Be STUCK

by Cougarbib · 11/25/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I was having a little fun with Stuckinbig10country and another poster who was kind of nosing into that discussion. The word STUCK - STUCK with me. It is so much more empowering to CHOOSE! But if you are STUCK (in your own mind - because you can always choose - trade-offs may be tough but you do have choices), where is it the absolutley toughest to tolerate being a BYU fan?
C
Cougarbib
I was torn between SLC East Bench and SEC country. Went with SEC - because in SLC, you can kind of dismiss it as Little Brother fans blowing smoke - and then we punk them every other year or more often - at least they used to be and we used to.



I have lived in SLC East Bench and married someone from there. I have a good feel for it. I have worked in downtown SLC in one of the tall buildings - It was called Crossroads Tower iirc back when it was brand new - Nordstroms opened their first SLC store there. I worked for Deloitte. I didn't get much smack talk at work. But the neighborhood was full of Utes happy to talk smack.



I have not lived In BEAST or SEC - but I have travelled there and heard it. SEC fans would lump us with Vandy - Ole Miss at best. Well we beat Ole Miss by 1 point in a very down year for them and barely beat Mississippi State with Doman and Staley in a down year for MSU. Same for ACC. I frequently visited a site in Charlottesville. ACC fans would lump us below UVA - fitting I suppose perhaps since they usually have beaten us. See Holiday Bowl 1987.



I have lived in Big 10 Country. They would lump us with Indiana and Northwestern and Minnesota at best. Maybe you can see why - Indiana gave us fits in the Holiday Bowl. They won - It was a barn burner. Marc Wilson when Jimmmy Mac red-shirted after his soph season. That wrecked our first UNDEFEATED regular season. Back in the day. Glory years - undefeated - lost to Indiana by 1 point in the Holiday Bowl. Ohio state killed Steve Young in the Holiday Bowl and beat us again in 1985 10-7 under Bosco. And yes - undefeated - we squeaked past a 6-5 Michigan team.



I have visited Big 12 Country. They would lump us with Iowa State and below Baylor and Kansas and K State back then. Yes we have caught Okie and Texas at just the right time a few times. Okie State beat us in early bowl games in 1974 and 1976 - early Lavell Edwards. We have also lost to Baylor to open Steve Young's senior season. Win that one - and BYU would have been undefeated that year. Glory Years. Back in the day - undone by Baylor.



I have lived in MWC and WAC Country and endured losses to lots of WAC and MWC teams. UTEP the year we were ranked #7 in Bosco's senior year and they did not win another game that year - maybe the toughest loss. But we usually dominated and many teams envied us. Pretty easy to live here as a BYU fan. Same for Conference USA.



PAC lumps us with WSU and below Arizona. These days - below Utah. Ahead of Colorado - most likely. We have beaten and lost to many PAC teams. A big win under Detmer vs Colorado in the Freedom Bowl when Colo was Big 8. UCLA ruined several of our seasons. I found PAC to be less in my face - but elitist none-the-less.
S
SpiffCoug
For the record the Eastern Timezone is the worst timezone for any sports fan.
S
Schmoe
PAC country, but not just because of the football.
M
mizzoucoug
Anywhere in monochromatic Utah--for non-sports reasons.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
mizzoucoug wrote:
Anywhere in monochromatic Utah--for non-sports reasons.


Wait, you mean the state with the Rockies and the red rocks? With skiing and year-round golf? With dense forests, deserts, and palm trees? With Lake Powell and Bear Lake? I'm sure it's nothing like Missouri.
M
mizzoucoug
Schmoe wrote:
Anywhere in monochromatic Utah--for non-sports reasons.


Wait, you mean the state with the Rockies and the red rocks? With skiing and year-round golf? With dense forests, deserts, and palm trees? With Lake Powell and Bear Lake? I'm sure it's nothing like Missouri.


LOL. No I meant monochromatic as far as culture and variety go. Yes, there is a lot of outdoorsy value to Utah.
S
Schmoe
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Anywhere in monochromatic Utah--for non-sports reasons.


Wait, you mean the state with the Rockies and the red rocks? With skiing and year-round golf? With dense forests, deserts, and palm trees? With Lake Powell and Bear Lake? I'm sure it's nothing like Missouri.


LOL. No I meant monochromatic as far as culture and variety go. Yes, there is a lot of outdoorsy value to Utah.


Ah, ok, gotcha! :D



But I should point out that the culture is dichromatic: Red and Blue.
J
jojoelchango
SpiffCoug wrote:
For the record the Eastern Timezone is the worst timezone for any sports fan.


False... the NFL is perfect for EST. Go to church, come home in time for the first game, watch football all day....



Following a western college team and NBA team while on the east coast on the other hand totally sucked.
S
SpiffCoug
jojoelchango wrote:
For the record the Eastern Timezone is the worst timezone for any sports fan.


False... the NFL is perfect for EST. Go to church, come home in time for the first game, watch football all day....



Following a western college team and NBA team while on the east coast on the other hand totally sucked.

False. The Sunday and Monday night games don't finish until well past 11 and midnight. ANY sport that has a game starting after 8 pm ET means a late night.
Advertisement
J
jojoelchango
but having NFL games start at 10am while i'm in church forces me to check on my fantasy team during sunday school :whistle:
M
mjk5
Hmmm...having lived in the hearts of PAC10, BIG12, and now SEC country, I think the worst is the PAC10. The BIG12 and SEC fans have been very respectful, but don't really care about BYU. PAC10 people seemed to either love or hate us. Less in-between. I think the PAC10 was the worst from a BYU fan perspective, but it was my favorite place to live.



A funny side story about SEC rivalry--I live in Tuscaloosa, AL right now. The LSU game a couple of weeks ago was unlike any atmosphere I've been in. Anyway, my wife is in a local shop the day of that game and some LSU fans walk in wearing their purple and yellow gear. The woman helping her who owned the store said, "Hey, no LSU fans in here!" My wife gave a friendly laugh and so did the LSU fans. Then the store owner said, "I'm not joking, get the h--- out of my store!" To top it off, after the LSU fans left, the owner said, "I hope they get hit by a truck."
Y
Y4LYFE
East bench is rich, so relatively safe. But west salt lake where 99.9% of the ute fan base is, I don't want to walk there at night.
S
Schmoe
Y4LYFE wrote:
East bench is rich, so relatively safe. But west salt lake where 99.9% of the ute fan base is, I don't want to walk there at night.


West Valley and Ogden, Utah may be the only creature where the colon and armpit are so close together.
C
cougarnerd
I put the Big East, but I suppose ACC and SEC would be bad, too. Cross-country travel...travel costs...spending billions to get there...etc. Too many expenses.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.