Archived Topic

BYU vs Nevada @ Chicago 4:00 MST BYUtv

by Qman · 11/23/2011

Advertisement
Q
Qman
I just wanted to start the conversion on Nevada. I haven't seen them play but their leading scorers are:


Story, Junior 6'5" 225 lbs Guard

15.2 ppg- 45 FG%- averages 3.2 3pt makes a game on 59.3%



Burton, Sophomere 6'1" 185 lbs Point Guard

12.2 ppg, 36 FG%-4.2 Ast-22% 3pt



Evans, Sophomere 6'8" 188 lbs Guard

8.0 ppg- 45 FG%- 25% 3pt -7.8 rpg



Czyz, Senior 6'7" 240 lbs Forward

7.6 ppg, 43 FG%, 5.0 rpg



Hunt, Senior 6'8" 230 Forward

7.0 ppg, 35 FG%, 9.0 rpg




They don't get a lot of production off their bench.



But they do have size on the wings especially. I suspect a zone wouldn't be a good option against Story. Abouo will probably have to play him most of the game.



Nevada beat Longwood 80-78. They also lost to UNLV on the road 71-67. They got beat at home by Missouri St 68-46. Missouri St. beat them by pounding the ball into paint to a 6'11" 260 lb senior. So they probably are going to have major problems with Davies and Hartsock.
B
BerliNY
I'm really looking forward to this game. A very winnable game against a strong-ish team that can still beat us. And the game is on a neutral floor but where we don't get to play as underdogs. Good practice for March.
Q
Qman
Winder gets the start. We were killing them until Davies got his 2nd foul and they went to a zone.
H
HoosierCougar
Even with Winder's up-tempo pace, he seems tentative and unwilling to attack the press. Not encouraged by our press break ability. If Wisconsin is watching this game, they'll come out in a full court press from the get-go tomorrow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
HoosierCougar
OK. Second hf press break looking much better. Good halftime adjustment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Q
Qman
It looks like our game plan is to not attack the press. Just get the ball in the front court.
D
Dcr36
Someone refresh my memory - weren't weak first halves and strong second halves a hallmark of Rose's teams pre-Jimmer era (2009-2011)? I seem to remember having that impression.
S
SpiffCoug
Yes, strong second halves are a trademark. I think it was Ainge's senior year, but I remember something like a 36-10 run at Air Force to finish off that game.



Rose is a great coach.
Q
Qman
Just a few observations-



When Winder gets the rebound and starts the break mostly good things happen. He took too many bad 3pt shots.



Zylstra had a good game as a role player. He hit a few threes and hustled on D and on the boards.



Abouo and Hartsock were our stars today. Abouo was fire from 3 and fought hard on the boards in addition to playing Story-Nevada's leading scorer. Hartsock just made all the right small plays over and over again.



We started our really hot against their man D. Going up 24-9 I believe. Then it took us until halfway through the second half to figure out their zone.



If Bradley wins the game will be on BYUtv. I am hoping this will happen so I get to see the next game.
G
Gunk
Was a good game.



Noah is much improved this season and if he keeps playing how he is he'll end up our best player. He's added some great post moves (thank you Pope) and can shoot it anywhere.



Abouo is a beast as long as he plays in control.



Winder is good with a lot of potential. Needs to work on that outside shots and work on passing. I have no idea how good Carlino is but at the rate Winder is going Carlino is going to be fighting for PT.



Davies is forcing things too much. He needs to play within himself and let the game come to him.



Zylstra is a good set up guy. I think I still like Rogers over him.



The team struggles against the zone and against full court pressure. We're quick and when we get it on the run we're tough to beat.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.