M
mcgregorMr. Staffieri posted the following on his blog, Deep Shades of Blue:
http://deepshadesofblue.com/speed-and-max-hall-neither-lost-the-game/
In large part, I agree with Markell. I do differ in opinion in some respects.
1. Markell states that smart football can negate speed. I believe it mitigates against speed, but I cannot go so far as to say it negates it. Besides, inherent in the game of football is the simple fact that the offense knows where it is going, and the defense does not (this rule, obviously, does not apply to UNLV).
2. I can't agree that this year's TCU squad had less speed than teams in years past. My best friend out of HS is "related" to that program, and insists that these new kids Patterson is bringing up is TCU's best ever, and fastest ever.
3. Finally, it defies logic that you would fail to recruit speed, even if "smart ball" is your game. If Player A and Player B are equally "smart" (ie- equally well-coached), wouldn't you want Player A, if that meant he got to the right place on the field 2 seconds before Player B? Playing "smart" football and playing "fast" football are not mutually exclusive goals.
Recruit speed. Implement the right scheme. Coach the speed to execute the scheme.
In large part, I agree with Markell. I do differ in opinion in some respects.
1. Markell states that smart football can negate speed. I believe it mitigates against speed, but I cannot go so far as to say it negates it. Besides, inherent in the game of football is the simple fact that the offense knows where it is going, and the defense does not (this rule, obviously, does not apply to UNLV).
2. I can't agree that this year's TCU squad had less speed than teams in years past. My best friend out of HS is "related" to that program, and insists that these new kids Patterson is bringing up is TCU's best ever, and fastest ever.
3. Finally, it defies logic that you would fail to recruit speed, even if "smart ball" is your game. If Player A and Player B are equally "smart" (ie- equally well-coached), wouldn't you want Player A, if that meant he got to the right place on the field 2 seconds before Player B? Playing "smart" football and playing "fast" football are not mutually exclusive goals.
Recruit speed. Implement the right scheme. Coach the speed to execute the scheme.

