Archived Topic

Are we in the Big East yet?

by CougarClaw · 11/21/2011

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Cricket.....









cricket.....















cricket......
S
SpiffCoug
Believe nothing.



Or give a little whistle.
D
Devbo
There is no Big East, only Zuul
L
Lawboy
I dunno, but we won the WAC in 2011. I think we should get a banner for it.
E
EM_Puma
Desert New's, Dick Harmon, summed up my feelings...



"Is everything with the Big East and BYU back to that crazy Big 12 ebb and flow where everything takes a new turn almost daily? Maybe."



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700199871/BYU-Big-East-speculation-continues-to-percolate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



With that experience still warm in my mind, even though I find it hard to not feel the hype of speculation, I am attempting to stay more guarded. ALL we ever seem to hear, when the talk relates to BYU, is that there is a possible issue with TV. At least with it only being FB, we don't have that futher uneasiness of the Sunday play issue, but "ebb and flow" describes the process quite well.



I'm still not holding my breath, especially now that I'm feeling confident that the BCS AQ process will soon go the way of all the earth.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
EM_Puma wrote:



I'm still not holding my breath, especially now that I'm feeling confident that the BCS AQ process will soon go the way of all the earth.


the way of the earth? you mean like go around in endless circles around some giant ball of flaming gas that is slowly feeding itself and a billion years from now will end up enveloping the planet before it explodes?



sounds about right.
D
Dcr36
Devbo wrote:
There is no Big East, only Zuul


Heh. I chuckled.
S
scott715
Well SMU and Houston is getting ansy too. There was an article somewhere this weekend. Too many lawyers involved.
G
Gunk
With the rumor that the BCS may tweak things a bit, I'd ease up a bit on the Big Whatever throttle.
Y
YNot
Gunk wrote:
With the rumor that the BCS may tweak things a bit, I'd ease up a bit on the Big Whatever throttle.


Exactly, without the Big East auto-bid, BYU doesn't gain any additional BCS or top-tier bowl access by aligning with the Big East.



The BCS and conferences are talking about simply taking the top teams without an auto-bid process. In that scenario, a one-loss, and perhaps even a 2-loss, BYU could make a New Year's Bowl game in the future.



I do like aligning ourselves with Boise State, Houston, and Air Force. But, we already have Boise State on the schedule through 2023 and Houston and UCF on the schedule as well. Let's just stay the course and get Air Force back on the schedule and match-up against a Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, or UConn occasionally.
Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
At first, I was against a move to the Big East, not knowing that other teams might be approached/invited. Later, I was for it.



If those other teams accept, I want in. If not, indy is so much better. :)
S
scott715
If we don't join we could invite some of the current Big East teams to come play us and get on to ESPN.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
If we don't join we could invite some of the current Big East teams to come play us and get on to ESPN.


I bet they will all line up to help us with our scheduling troubles if we snub their invite. Until we have a playoff, which may never happen, it is a beauty contest and teams cannot afford to lose to anyone outside of their own BCS AQ conference.



Thus - you will continue to hear excuses why they can't play OOC games after their conference race starts - and yet half or more of the SEC played cup-cake teams at home of course just last weekend.



So, unless we want to keep playing Texas 2 for 1, Okie at an un-neutral site early in the season, or similar with TCU, we better seriously consider the one and only AQ conference that wants us.



Or keep playing cupcakes in November and quit complaining. But, as an independent, don't expect a BYU team with even 1 loss to crack a BCS Bowl. And if the BCS bows out of the Bowls except for NC, expect the bowls to lock their slots up with SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC in that order. Then ACC. None to Beast or anyone else, but maybe ND.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Our future is still in question until they announce our 2012 schedule by a singing fat lady.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Our future is still in question until they announce our 2012 schedule by a singing fat lady.


Isn't 2012 pretty much locked and loaded? A tweak or two maybe - but November is not where we will likely see much tweaking.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
I would love in the BCS. Just saying.



At least, until (that's actually if) they make a more fair system.
E
EM_Puma
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/52965117-88/byu-east-deal-espn.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



What did I say? That I wasn't holding my breath on this and that we were moving upon the media's ebbs and tides and in the end we'd probably be disappointed. It sound like from the SL Trib article that that scenario is what is exactly going to play out.



I can't say that I'm totally disappointed this time in not joining the BE because finally I'm glad to know at least we were invited.



I'm just disappointed that BYU admin continues to pretend like they owe nothing to the fans and that we're just going to accept being driven to and fro and given nothing substantive. We've gone through how many months and now being told (by the media once again) that membership was almost eminent and basically waiting just for the T's to be crossed and the i's dotted. When I moved from my season tickets Saturday to seats on the 35-40 yard lines, I found someone's tickets on the floor and their seats were $92 some dollars each. I'm sure that was for every one of the six games and the Utah game was at least twice as much. That far exceeds a grand when you add in their CC memberships. Then people say that the fans shouldn't expect more feedback on what is happening? Why in the heck can't TH stand up and say, "Hell will freeze over until we'll give up our broadcast rights on ESPN."? Then at least we'll know for certain that there never will be a conference that will ever offer enough for BYU to forgo their contract and join. Isn't that the bottom line? Does it do anything for anyone to not say that publically if that is what course we're going to follow?

Now Harmon is saying that it sounded like TH was sold on the deal, but now the BOT wanted something tweaked and now that has practically thrown the negotiations out the door.



I'm really tired of this.......stuff.
D
dsmith1212
Based on what Harmon is saying, the BOT has put on the table what it feels BYU needs to move to the Big East. After all is said, given the BCS possible adjustments, BE auto-bid issues, and the attractiveness of independence for exposure purposes, I elect to put my trust in the BOT to figure out what the future has in store. I trust their "crystal ball" better than my own.
C
CAFB_04-12
Just makes me question the timing of the ESPN article on the BCS forgoing the notion of AQ conferences altogether. Talk about throwing a wrench. Is this ESPN making a play to keep BYU?



So, it seems like the problem is this: if BYU goes Big East and in 2013 the Big East renegotiates its TV broadcast contract and ESPN decided not to buy, and instead Fox buys broadcast rights, BYU would have to leave the ESPN home-game deal and go with Fox because of conference affiliation. Big East thinks that if BYU retains its ESPN contract it will have less leverage to negotiate a bigger conference-wide deal because BYU wouldn't be part of the package.



When all this came out I thought to myself: Self, if I were BYU I'd demand that our ESPN/BYUtv deal we have going be allowed to continue regardless of conference affiliation, and oh, I'd ask for an easy-exit clause in case Big East loses AQ status.



Good to know that BYU's lawyers have the same questions as John Q. Public.



It makes me laugh when someone thinks BYU football owes them an answer to anything just because they pony up $500/year for season tickets. When you become a Legacy IV - V member, I think that's when you earn the right to email TH and politely ask that he consider X, Y, or Z.
S
SpiffCoug
Believe Nothing.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.