Archived Topic

Top 25??

by BroncoBot · 11/20/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BYU wins big in Hawaii and I think they might be staring a top 25 finish in the face. :bug:

ranked 30th in the coaches today.



For the record, If BYU did end up top 25, indy and ESPN definitely would have made the difference. TV time is a very good thing. Although, I'd wonder if BYU isn't ranked too high. I think BYU this year is a pretty "average" team when all is said and done.
S
Schmoe
I have mixed feelings about this. I think we've become a much better team as the season has passed. We've discovered our run game, we've been able to compete with TCU and Texas, but we've also had some close calls early on with what have turned out to be pretty poor opponents. All things considered, I'd say a ranking right around 25 isn't too far-fetched realistically.
C
Cougarbib
I don't think a win over UH will quite get us in - but it might. If it were next week, I would say no - not enough teams in the 20-25 range will lose in 1 week. But we play in two weeks - allowing opportunities for more 20-25 teams to lose or 15-20 teams to lose twice. So maybe.



But if we beat UH and win our Bowl Game - you know the one so many fans are whining about - we are in and would deserve to be in.



Personally, I think we will have our hands full at UH and definitely will in our Bowl Game. Fun games coming up. I wish Riley was healthy. His absence makes the UH game very interesting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
I don't think we're a top 25 team. Will take it, but question it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
I don't think we're a top 25 team. Will take it, but question it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I agree.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Look what LSU just did to Ole Miss and the egg we laid vs Utah. Hard for me to even consider us a top 25 program right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
beauso79 wrote:
Look what LSU just did to Ole Miss and the egg we laid vs Utah. Hard for me to even consider us a top 25 program right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


1-RIGHT NOW we're a lot better than we were during those two stinkers.



2-There are a lot of teams that get ranked too high, it will be nice to be one of them for once.
C
CougarClaw
we've had multiple 40 point wins and some great road wins, and yet. I still feel deep in my heart that this is not a good team.



we do have a great defense. but these bo'diddley techs make us look all=world. I don't think we're top-25. Boise St. top -25 maybe.
A
ABYUFAN
CougarClaw wrote:
Boise St. top -25 maybe.

Huh? You must've seen a different Boise State team this year than I have. There's NO "maybe" about the Boise State team I've seen about top 25



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
ABYUFAN wrote:
Boise St. top -25 maybe.

Huh? You must've seen a different Boise State team this year than I have. There's NO "maybe" about the Boise State team I've seen about top 25



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


not so much the year as has been their route to glory, funny how your recruits get better after 15 BCS bowls and endless media hype. But the route they took is what I was referring to: 50-0 against the Louisiana techs of the world. 5-5 against everyone else. and yes, these statistics are made up. Frankly, it's different when you play an SEC-type schedule and apparently even the MWC was a major upgrade for them and they laid an egg against TCU.



I'm not a fan of Boise, and they are a good team this year. Glad we dont' play them this year.
Advertisement
K
kfilly20
Schmoe wrote:
Look what LSU just did to Ole Miss and the egg we laid vs Utah. Hard for me to even consider us a top 25 program right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


1-RIGHT NOW we're a lot better than we were during those two stinkers.



2-There are a lot of teams that get ranked too high, it will be nice to be one of them for once.


I feel like we are pretty consistently ranked higher than we should be. We are rarely if never a true top 10 team but we got there with hall and beck didn't we?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
I want it for recruiting only but what really matters is ESPN wants it to improve ratings for the bowl game. If BYU wins the UH game it will happen and you can expect the bowl game to be USM or Tulsa @ 24 vs BYU @ 22.
L
Lawboy
After we finish 10-3, I suspect we end up ranked around 22nd. BUt really, who cares.
S
scott715
I do. I want to see ranked teams. It sets us up for next year and we can use it as propaganda.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
beauso79 wrote:
Look what LSU just did to Ole Miss and the egg we laid vs Utah. Hard for me to even consider us a top 25 program right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


BYU has proven this year that the Cougars would contend for the WAC title. A win over Hawaii will seal the deal. That doesn't deserve a top-25 ranking.



HOWEVER, a bowl win (looking like a matchup against Tulsa) to put the Cougars at 10 wins will likely get us into the top-25, whether we deserve it or not. That will be great for momentum into the 2012 recruiting class and season.



At #30 currently, if we win out, it would be hard NOT to finish in the top-25. At least 5 teams immediately in front of us play rank teams in the next week or two. #24 Notre Dame plays #5 Stanford, #25 Virginia plays #4 Virginia Tech, #27 Auburn plays #2 Alabama, #29 plays #7 Houston and #28 Southern Miss also likely plays Houston - or will play Tulsa. So, assuming the higher ranked teams take care of business (big assumption, I know), BYU moves up if it wins out. #22 West Virginia and #26 Rutgers would also need to win out and win their bowl games.



The teams immediately behind BYU are Northern Illinois and Arkansas State - neither provides a major concern to jump us in the voting....IF we win out.
B
BroncoBot
funny how the bowl game could be Byu's best chance to prove themselves. Especially considering all of the whining about Indy an the bowl contracts.
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
I do. I want to see ranked teams. It sets us up for next year and we can use it as propaganda.


Last thing I want is this team thinking they are better than they are. We end the season ranked and get ready for all sorts of hype in 2012.
S
Schmoe
kfilly20 wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
Look what LSU just did to Ole Miss and the egg we laid vs Utah. Hard for me to even consider us a top 25 program right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


1-RIGHT NOW we're a lot better than we were during those two stinkers.



2-There are a lot of teams that get ranked too high, it will be nice to be one of them for once.


I feel like we are pretty consistently ranked higher than we should be. We are rarely if never a true top 10 team but we got there with hall and beck didn't we?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think that those top-10 teams were worthy of their ranking. You saw what we did to Oregon that year, yes?
B
byufan4ever
I have us ranked at 39, Sagarin has us at 47, and Massey at 41 so I would say that we are not there yet and even with 2 more wins we might not crack it. We have a good record, but no real big win. Still, not a horrible season liked it seemed when we were 2-2.



There, it's settled.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.