D
Dcr36We'll have two weeks to look forward to Hawaii, but just some quick thoughts -
- I suspect David Graves will be the starter when we play them. He had a better game than the other backup today. Graves threw for 2 TDs and zero picks, but his comp % was below 50%. I'll watch the FSU game later, but it looks like he does run - he attempted 11 rushes, but only gained 33 yards. No matter how much improvement he makes in the next two weeks, I can't imagine he'll be anywhere close to an upgrade over Moniz.
-I'll be rooting against them this week as they play Tulane - I don't want them to be fighting for bowl eligibility against us. (An aside note - while it is frustrating that BYU is not really playing for anything right now, at least we're not fighting for bowl eligibility.)
-Ignoring passing stats, which at this point won't accurately reflect Hawaii's abilities, I thought it would be useful to compare Hawaii to NMSU. Some numbers (not counting today's games):
Pass defense:
Hawaii - 136.74 PER allowed (84th overall)
NMSU - 136.20 PER allowed (81st overall)
Rush defense -
Hawaii - 3.68 YPC allowed (38th overall)
NMSU - 5.49 YPC allowed (117th overall)
Rush offense -
Hawaii - 103 yards/game (110th overall), 4.25 YPC (60th overall)
NMSU - 123 yards/game (92nd overall), 3.65 YPC (94th overall)
So, Hawaii is pretty similar in terms of pass defense as NMSU, and while they rush better than NMSU, it's such a tiny part of their offense that it really doesn't matter.
The only real difference is run defense, and I'm calling a mirage - Hawaii has better-than-average rush defense, but their stats are inflated by a total gift game from Colorado and a game against UC-Davis. In four of their last 5 games, they've given up at least 4.0 YPC, and the game they didn't (against Idaho) they gave up 3.96. Barring a total meltdown, I think BYU should be able to rush on these guys.
I guess my point is this - aside from the big question mark at QB, there's nothing really intimidating about Hawaii, aside from history and their fabled home-field advantage. And even that has been overcome by a mediocre USU team and a poor Fresno team. They have one quality win (Louisiana Tech) and some pretty embarrassing losses. If we can beat NMSU, we can beat these guys.
- I suspect David Graves will be the starter when we play them. He had a better game than the other backup today. Graves threw for 2 TDs and zero picks, but his comp % was below 50%. I'll watch the FSU game later, but it looks like he does run - he attempted 11 rushes, but only gained 33 yards. No matter how much improvement he makes in the next two weeks, I can't imagine he'll be anywhere close to an upgrade over Moniz.
-I'll be rooting against them this week as they play Tulane - I don't want them to be fighting for bowl eligibility against us. (An aside note - while it is frustrating that BYU is not really playing for anything right now, at least we're not fighting for bowl eligibility.)
-Ignoring passing stats, which at this point won't accurately reflect Hawaii's abilities, I thought it would be useful to compare Hawaii to NMSU. Some numbers (not counting today's games):
Pass defense:
Hawaii - 136.74 PER allowed (84th overall)
NMSU - 136.20 PER allowed (81st overall)
Rush defense -
Hawaii - 3.68 YPC allowed (38th overall)
NMSU - 5.49 YPC allowed (117th overall)
Rush offense -
Hawaii - 103 yards/game (110th overall), 4.25 YPC (60th overall)
NMSU - 123 yards/game (92nd overall), 3.65 YPC (94th overall)
So, Hawaii is pretty similar in terms of pass defense as NMSU, and while they rush better than NMSU, it's such a tiny part of their offense that it really doesn't matter.
The only real difference is run defense, and I'm calling a mirage - Hawaii has better-than-average rush defense, but their stats are inflated by a total gift game from Colorado and a game against UC-Davis. In four of their last 5 games, they've given up at least 4.0 YPC, and the game they didn't (against Idaho) they gave up 3.96. Barring a total meltdown, I think BYU should be able to rush on these guys.
I guess my point is this - aside from the big question mark at QB, there's nothing really intimidating about Hawaii, aside from history and their fabled home-field advantage. And even that has been overcome by a mediocre USU team and a poor Fresno team. They have one quality win (Louisiana Tech) and some pretty embarrassing losses. If we can beat NMSU, we can beat these guys.

