D
Dcr36Aside from a few things, there's really not a lot to analyze about this game - most parts of the offense and defense functioned as they're expected to function at this point.
Heaps
- I thought Heaps looked pretty bad for much of the first half but looked better as the game progressed. I was most impressed with the two key plays on his final drive.
First, his 26-yard pass to Jacobson. From my vantage point, it appeared Jake identified Jacobson, then looked him off, then threw to him. The pocket collapsed, and Jake got blindsided. I don't know if Heaps knew the hit was coming, but kudos to him if he did - his willingness to take a hit allowed him to throw a well-placed ball to McKay.
Second, the TD throw to Falslev. Heaps showed good mobility, broke out of a sack, stepped up and threw a strike.
These two plays were impressive because they stood in stark contrast to most of the knocks on Heaps we've heard - soft, unwilling to get hit, easy for defenses to read, and immobile. I can't remember too many of the Heaps highlights from 2010, but I think I saw more encouraging things from Heaps on those two plays than I've ever seen from him at BYU. Bronco apparently called that TD pass to Falslev the best single play Heaps has had at BYU thus far - I can see his point.
RBs
-Running game didn't come up as huge as I expected, but they definitely were a positive factor. A little bummed they missed the 200 mark.
-I am a little worried about the run game's consistency. It seemed like most of our RBs had at least one good run, and at least a couple of runs where they got stood up at the line or tackled for a loss. I'm hoping Alisa develops into the type of back that can usually get you 3-4 yards most of the time.
Offense in general
-I could be way off base here, but it seems like the last two games, the "game-breaking drive" - the drive that establishes BYU's momentum towards the win - was heavily sustained by penalties by the other team. Looking at the play-by-play, it seems there was only one on the 90-yard drive was the key drive in my mind: a big PI call on a 3rd-and-7 that kept the drive alive. Is that accurate? It felt like NMSU was really bailing us out a LOT on that drive, and it was making me feel uncomfortable. I don't like relying on the other team's miscues to move the ball.
Defense
Looked good, like they usually do.
NMSU
-Credit really does need to be given to NMSU - they definitely came to play, and it showed in the first 1 1/2 quarters. At that point, I was worried for a second - I was afraid of a repeat of the USU game, and was thinking we probably wouldn't blow these guys out. I think they either got gassed or demoralized, but they did seem to fall apart after a while.
Did you guys see anything tonight worth mentioning, other than whatever becomes fuel for the next few rounds of Heaps-related threads?
Heaps
- I thought Heaps looked pretty bad for much of the first half but looked better as the game progressed. I was most impressed with the two key plays on his final drive.
First, his 26-yard pass to Jacobson. From my vantage point, it appeared Jake identified Jacobson, then looked him off, then threw to him. The pocket collapsed, and Jake got blindsided. I don't know if Heaps knew the hit was coming, but kudos to him if he did - his willingness to take a hit allowed him to throw a well-placed ball to McKay.
Second, the TD throw to Falslev. Heaps showed good mobility, broke out of a sack, stepped up and threw a strike.
These two plays were impressive because they stood in stark contrast to most of the knocks on Heaps we've heard - soft, unwilling to get hit, easy for defenses to read, and immobile. I can't remember too many of the Heaps highlights from 2010, but I think I saw more encouraging things from Heaps on those two plays than I've ever seen from him at BYU. Bronco apparently called that TD pass to Falslev the best single play Heaps has had at BYU thus far - I can see his point.
RBs
-Running game didn't come up as huge as I expected, but they definitely were a positive factor. A little bummed they missed the 200 mark.
-I am a little worried about the run game's consistency. It seemed like most of our RBs had at least one good run, and at least a couple of runs where they got stood up at the line or tackled for a loss. I'm hoping Alisa develops into the type of back that can usually get you 3-4 yards most of the time.
Offense in general
-I could be way off base here, but it seems like the last two games, the "game-breaking drive" - the drive that establishes BYU's momentum towards the win - was heavily sustained by penalties by the other team. Looking at the play-by-play, it seems there was only one on the 90-yard drive was the key drive in my mind: a big PI call on a 3rd-and-7 that kept the drive alive. Is that accurate? It felt like NMSU was really bailing us out a LOT on that drive, and it was making me feel uncomfortable. I don't like relying on the other team's miscues to move the ball.
Defense
Looked good, like they usually do.
NMSU
-Credit really does need to be given to NMSU - they definitely came to play, and it showed in the first 1 1/2 quarters. At that point, I was worried for a second - I was afraid of a repeat of the USU game, and was thinking we probably wouldn't blow these guys out. I think they either got gassed or demoralized, but they did seem to fall apart after a while.
Did you guys see anything tonight worth mentioning, other than whatever becomes fuel for the next few rounds of Heaps-related threads?

