Archived Topic

Doman vs. Heaps

by cougarnerd · 11/20/2011

Advertisement
C
cougarnerd
Jake is a good quarterback. I'm watching him, and on third-and-longs (8+ yards), he's putting the ball on the money. He can--and is--good. He's also running the up-tempo offense pretty well. The only catch--he needs Doman to call good plays, and he needs the RBs to be effective. If they're not getting anything, he has a hard time and can't fully succeed.



He sometimes overthrows a receiver (Apo, Hoffman for TDs), and he doesn't always wait long enough for the play to develop. He can't (and doesn't like to) run effectively, so that rules out option, draw, and some roll-outs.
S
snoscythe
Secondary is playing man defense tonight with a safety over the top--NMSU's game plan is to stop the run and force Heaps to beat them in the air.
S
Schmoe
128 PER so far vs. the 98th pass defense. I'd say he's got some work to do.



Just keep giving the ball to Kariya and ride that work horse all the way to victory.
S
Schmoe
PER now at 114...
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
PER now at 114...


I'm cutting him some slack because of the cold. Not saying he's been great, but I'm not going to beat Heaps up about PER tonight as long as he keeps it above 105ish.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Wow, 105 huh? That's a pretty low standard, even in cold weather.



I'm assuming we'll see Lark on the next drive, which will mean that Heaps will finish the night with a serviceable 144.
F
frdbtr
Doman's play calling is fine. Heaps started slow but then played pretty well. With Heaps as the QB vs Hawaii, that is a scary game. If Nelson plays, I think we win easily.
D
Devbo
Heaps looked better in the second half. You could actually see him moving his head around and going through progressions after snap.
S
stuckinbig10country
Heaps played really well in the 2nd half. It's not like he was awful in the first half either. He was good on 3rd down for most of the night. His passing opened up the running game a little bit as well.
S
SpiffCoug
He was very good tonight. He wasn't great. But I think we saw more improvement this week than last. Even though he had a better game than last week.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Doman's play calling is fine. Heaps started slow but then played pretty well. With Heaps as the QB vs Hawaii, that is a scary game. If Nelson plays, I think we win easily.


This.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
I must say I loved Heaps' last TD throw when he was able to avoid the tackle, squeeze through the defenders, and find a wide open Falslev. Awesome play.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
He was very good tonight. He wasn't great. But I think we saw more improvement this week than last. Even though he had a better game than last week.


Say that again - I don't think you said what you meant to say.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Ungoy wrote:
I must say I loved Heaps' last TD throw when he was able to avoid the tackle, squeeze through the defenders, and find a wide open Falslev. Awesome play.


KSL and also Bronco called that his best play of his career - keeping a play alive is what differentiates it. This is what Nelson does all the time that Jake does not do. That is growth for Jake. Touch and precision on passes and looking off defenders is improving but still needs improvement when there is pressure.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Ended with a 149. Maybe RN is rubbing off on him.



And Hawaii lost at home to FSU. they have to win both of their last games to be bowl eligible.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
He was very good tonight. He wasn't great. But I think we saw more improvement this week than last. Even though he had a better game than last week.


Say that again - I don't think you said what you meant to say.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Sorry. Take two:



He was very good tonight. He wasn't great. But I think we saw more improvement this week than last. Even though he had a better game last week.



And to expound:

He was great last week, but we saw more improvement this week even though he wasn't as good.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Ended with a 149. Maybe RN is rubbing off on him.



And Hawaii lost at home to FSU. they have to win both of their last games to be bowl eligible.


Not sure Hawaii has enough gas left in the tank on offense. Their defense may still be as good as or better than any we have faced other than TCU, Utah, and Texas. Certainly better than NMSU, Idaho, ISU, SJSU, USU, and as good as UCF, Ole Miss, and OSU. We have a bye and they have Tulane.



I hope Riley is good to go and can travel. He gives us the best chance for a win, and unfortunately, the best chance for injury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
HoosierCougar
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Ended with a 149. Maybe RN is rubbing off on him.



And Hawaii lost at home to FSU. they have to win both of their last games to be bowl eligible.


Not sure Hawaii has enough gas left in the tank on offense. Their defense may still be as good as or better than any we have faced other than TCU, Utah, and Texas. Certainly better than NMSU, Idaho, ISU, SJSU, USU, and as good as UCF, Ole Miss, and OSU. We have a bye and they have Tulane.



I hope Riley is good to go and can travel. He gives us the best chance for a win, and unfortunately, the best chance for injury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Last I heard RN can't get on a plane due to air pressure issues with the lung. Has that changed?
C
Cougarbib
HoosierCougar wrote:
scott715 wrote:
Ended with a 149. Maybe RN is rubbing off on him.



And Hawaii lost at home to FSU. they have to win both of their last games to be bowl eligible.


Not sure Hawaii has enough gas left in the tank on offense. Their defense may still be as good as or better than any we have faced other than TCU, Utah, and Texas. Certainly better than NMSU, Idaho, ISU, SJSU, USU, and as good as UCF, Ole Miss, and OSU. We have a bye and they have Tulane.



I hope Riley is good to go and can travel. He gives us the best chance for a win, and unfortunately, the best chance for injury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ]



http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Last I heard RN can't get on a plane due to air pressure issues with the lung. Has that changed?


It is still a big concern. Bronco said last night that more air needs to dissipate from his chest area before he can board a plane. It is a wait and see scenario and probably still more doubtful than likely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
Ended with a 149. Maybe RN is rubbing off on him.


I have it as a 144. If he'd have played the whole game like he did the second half, he'd have been close to 200.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.