Archived Topic

McCann / Cleveland

by Dcr36 · 11/19/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Say what you will about BYUtv's production values, but McCann/Cleveland is a top-notch announcing duo. McCann's a good fit for basketball play-by-play, and Cleveland does a really good job of explaining what teams are doing/failing to do without relying too much on insider terminology. Basketball's not my strong suite in terms of identifying game-plans, and I honestly feel like my basketball IQ's been bumped up a few points just by Cleveland's analysis the last two games.



Best team BYU's fielded all year.
B
BroncoBot
It's awesome have Cleveland back in Provo. He was the coach during my time at BYU. I loved the guy. I agree completely that he does an excellent job of explaining what BYU is doing and he has a surprising amount of inside knowledge about the team. He knows each player and what they can do, what they are good at, who is going to be relied on etc etc etc.



And I agree that last night was the best BYU has looked all year.
B
BerliNY
McCann is growing on me. He seemed to force it a bit occasionally but he's better than Jarom (who has also come a long way in the last year or so). But having Cleveland as the color guy is fantastic. From some of his comments it seems he attends multiple practices every week and has incredible insight into the development of the players and what types of things Rose is trying to do with each one of them as well as with the team in general.



Part of me wants Rose to bring him back as an assistant, but I'd hate to lose him as a commentator.
S
SpiffCoug
Really? I'm feeling the exact opposite on McCann. He isn't very knowledgeable. On one kickball, he wondered why they weren't resetting the shot clock. He clearly didn't know that they changed that year about THREE years ago. His on-air interview with Ainge was bad. He asked dumb questions and dumber follow up questions (tell us about Jimmer. I can't. Well what can you say by trying to talk around the topic. I can't). Ainge gave him several one word answers.



Cleveland is getting better. And I really like what he's doing. He'll be a good fit. Jarom Jordan is also getting better, but while he's still young, at least he knows the rules of the game.
I
imuakahuku
I'll say I rather liked Cleveland's comments. They were good evaluations etc. Glad he is back.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
I saw this thread title and I thoght it'd be a rant about how they sucked and I thought, "although not ESPN level, I like these guys, I wonder what people don't like about them?" Turns out I was wrong, sorry not to have thought better of you guys…



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
HoosierCougar
Totally agree about Cleve. I love the technical insights he makes without getting too technical. Given the expectation thatthe BYUtv audience will contain a fair number or hoops luddites, he brings the right tone.



A for McCann, I was totally embarrased by his Ainge interview. After Davies' 3 TOs in the first five minutes, that interview was the biggest disappointment of the evening.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
HoosierCougar wrote:
Totally agree about Cleve. I love the technical insights he makes without getting too technical. Given the expectation thatthe BYUtv audience will contain a fair number or hoops luddites, he brings the right tone.



A for McCann, I was totally embarrased by his Ainge interview. After Davies' 3 TOs in the first five minutes, that interview was the biggest disappointment of the evening.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think Ainge was disappointed with that interview too.



I like Cleveland. McCann just needs to stick to calling the game and let Cleve do the commentary.
C
coachK
Which one called out Abouo on wearing his shorts backwards? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A
ABYUFAN
coachK wrote:
Which one called out Abouo on wearing his shorts backwards? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THAT was funny! I wonder how many times he'll wear them backwards now after a game like that? Also I loved how many times they focused in on the backwards shorts after that....
Advertisement
G
Gunk
coachK wrote:
Which one called out Abouo on wearing his shorts backwards? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


That was McCann, but he admitted someone on their staff tipped him off. Abouo should wear his shorts backwards every game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
This may be a more foolish slant on the duo, but aesthetically speaking, I like the voice of McCann better than Cleveland's. Cleveland is a great addition, but their voices are part of the package. That one female ESPN FB announcer that has been bouncing around the "B" games for a number of years knows her football, but there is just something about hearing football from a female that doesn't sit totally comfortable with me. She's grown on me over time, but there are just voices that are more pleasing. I like the Wrubell/Lyons combo and maybe Cleveland's will grow on me too, but listening to him for the first time Friday, it just didn't click. That said, content is always going to be more important that this aspect, which he has.
S
SpiffCoug
One thing we can definitely agree on is that they're vastly superior to whomever calls the Utes' games. On KJZZ on Saturday, Steve Brown, during one replay review of the late Wazzu TD down the sideline, actually asked, "Now is that green part of the field inbounds?"
D
Dcr36
EM_Puma wrote:
This may be a more foolish slant on the duo, but aesthetically speaking, I like the voice of McCann better than Cleveland's...


I guess that's why I like McCann. Good broadcasting voice. Pair that with Cleveland's insight and I stand by my original post - solid duo.



I did miss the Ainge interview, as I was playing with my niece during that part of the 2nd half. Sounds like there's a pretty clear consensus he sucked on that interview.
S
stuckinbig10country
Umm, McCann is ok, but he's still not great. He's got a good voice, which is important, but his knowledge of the game (football too, but especially on basketball) is lacking.



Oh, and he said Baylor was coming to play BYU at the Thomas and Mack. BYU doesn't play their home games there.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I also liked the come join us for the these holiday games when talking about the $25 package for Baylor and Santa Clara. Sorry, but games on 17 Dec and 12 Jan don't exactly shout the holidays to me.
C
CougarClaw
I think my favorite part of the games is multiple times, Cleveland would be in the middle of some explanation, probably wrapped up in the explanation when something important would happen on the court. and McCann would completely overspeak him with a giant:



AND ABOUO GOES IN FOR TWO!



anyways, what were you saying Steve? I thappened multiple times. I think he'll get better when he realizes when he can talk and when something's about to happen.



The Ainge interview was hard, but seriously, what do you ask the guy? I wonder if they knew he was going to be there and didn't have any questions before-hand. Good interviews require preparation and brain-storming otherwise it looks a lot like what McCann did on the fly.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.