Archived Topic

BYU vs Longview

by Qman · 11/18/2011

Advertisement
Q
Qman
Longview looks like another undersized team like BYU-Hawaii or Dixie St.



Their top rebounder, Carter, is 6'6". We should dominate inside again.



They do have two experienced guards how score points, primarily from the 3pt line.



I hope that Cusick and some else get a chance at the Point. Zylstra is proving to not be an point. Maybe this pushes Rogers to the bench.
G
Gunk
Is this on byutv? Didn't come up in my search last night on directv.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
BYUcougars.com lists it as being on BYUtv. Starts at 7 MST.
G
Gunk
Qman wrote:
BYUcougars.com lists it as being on BYUtv. Starts at 7 MST.


Thanks. Yay, for dvrs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
WCCsports is tweeting that we are playing on tv. Further exposure for us, they are promoting our KBYU games.
Advertisement
A
AJP
Qman wrote:
I hope that Cusick and some else get a chance at the Point. Zylstra is proving to not be an point. Maybe this pushes Rogers to the bench.

You and Dave Rose seems to be on the same wavelength!

"gregwrubell: Cusick starts at PG tonight, Zylstra starts at the 2, Rogers off the bench."
Q
Qman
Longview is going to eat us up from the 3pt line if we don't clean up our defensive rotations.
Q
Qman
Winder is getting his chance as the backup point. Hit a 3 and hasn't turned the ball over yet. No Rogers yet.
B
beauso79
Qman wrote:
Winder is getting his chance as the backup point. Hit a 3 and hasn't turned the ball over yet. No Rogers yet.


Sweet. Go Winder.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Winder has played about 10 minutes. He has made some nice simple passes. I think both Winder and Cusick are better points than Zylstra. Abouo and Hartsock have been the difference makers. Davies has been doubled all night. Made some good passes and turned it over some.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
Cusick in foul trouble so it is Winder all the time at the point. He has looked pretty good. He doesn't have great vision but he makes enough passes. And his defense is so much better than anyone else on the team except Abouo. He has hit 2 threes too. I think we might see him start and Cusick come off the bench.
G
Gunk
If I was Rose, I'd go with the following lineup:



Center - Davies

Forward - Noah

Forward - Rogers

Guard - Abouo

Guard - Winder



I really liked our speed on defense when we had Abouo, Davies and Winder out there. Harrison is a solid defender too and looks as though Davies has gotten better. Honestly think we're a better defensive team this season. Granted I've only seen tonight's game and it was Longwood. But those guys covered ground. Was hoping Rose would switch to a zone so I could at least see how they handled the zone, but oh well.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
If I was Rose, I'd go with the following lineup:



Center - Davies

Forward - Noah

Forward - Rogers

Guard - Abouo

Guard - Winder



I really liked our speed on defense when we had Abouo, Davies and Winder out there. Harrison is a solid defender too and looks as though Davies has gotten better. Honestly think we're a better defensive team this season. Granted I've only seen tonight's game and it was Longwood. But those guys covered ground. Was hoping Rose would switch to a zone so I could at least see how they handled the zone, but oh well.

Good post. I was just going to post my starting 5. Only difference is I'd probably keep Rogers coming off the bench and play Zylstra at the 2. Move Charles to the 3.



Anyone notice that Nate Austin is going to be a pretty solid center. It's about time BYU had a center that played with that kind of energy. Defensively he's as good as Davies. If he turns out to be as good as Jake Schoff I'll be happy.
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
If I was Rose, I'd go with the following lineup:



Center - Davies

Forward - Noah

Forward - Rogers

Guard - Abouo

Guard - Winder



I really liked our speed on defense when we had Abouo, Davies and Winder out there. Harrison is a solid defender too and looks as though Davies has gotten better. Honestly think we're a better defensive team this season. Granted I've only seen tonight's game and it was Longwood. But those guys covered ground. Was hoping Rose would switch to a zone so I could at least see how they handled the zone, but oh well.


As long as Winder continues playing well- four of your spots are no brainers.



But Rogers vs Zylstra isn't so one sided in my book.



Rogers is a superior offensive player. Zylstra can hit tough driving shots- but he is primarily a spotup shooter. Rogers can hit pullups and play in the post a little.



On the other end of the court is what can cause the problems. Rogers gambles a lot on D and has trouble fighting through screens. Zylstra is stronger and plays better position D.



Between Davies, Hartsock and Abouo do we really need Rogers' scoring punch at the beginning of game? I assume are going to establish Hartsock and Davies in the post. Zylstra can space the floor almost as well as Rogers and he makes less mistakes. And then Rose can bring Rogers off the bench so he can score in bunches.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm going to trust Rose to continue tinkering with his lineup to find one that works. Rose has shown that 1) he knows how to work with personnel until he finds a successful one. 2) he knows how to bring talent along slowly by not giving them too much too soon. 3) he knows how to both identify and develop talent.



2011-2012 might be a rebuilding year, but Rose has done a great job of looking to make runs this year AND building for the future.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
I was impressed with Winder's ability to run the point and how fast he is. In the second half he out ran his defender up the floor easily while he had the ball. Our overall team defense might be a step up from last year now that we don't have to rely on Jackson to play D for 2 players. Cleveland even noted the same thing. I was worried about our ability to hit the 3-ball but I think that was put to rest last night. I was really impressed with Austin last night. He could finish around the basket and played adequate D'. Our team may still be a little shallow at the 4 if CC isn't fully recovered and is going to be out a while. Assuming he was going to see time at the 4 anyways. Sharp is pretty rough still and needs to add some bulk. Last night really gave me some hope for our team. When we add Carlino, Winder might already have a stranglehold on the starting PG spot. Guess we'll see
S
SpiffCoug
Great point Beauso. I got very excited last night when I saw us go to a zone defense and we had Winder, Abouo and Harrison out on the wings. That's a VERY formidable and fast top of the zone. Switching to that defense every so often could really throw opponents off their rhythm.



I liked Austin as well. He ran the court well and played hard and thought he had more touch around the rim than anyone we've had since Rafa.
Q
Qman
SpiffCoug wrote:
Great point Beauso. I got very excited last night when I saw us go to a zone defense and we had Winder, Abouo and Harrison out on the wings. That's a VERY formidable and fast top of the zone. Switching to that defense every so often could really throw opponents off their rhythm.



I liked Austin as well. He ran the court well and played hard and thought he had more touch around the rim than anyone we've had since Rafa.


The biggest thing with Austin is how he moves. The game isn't too quick for him and keeps his coordination even when bumped. This will only improve as his strength increases.
B
beauso79
Qman wrote:
Great point Beauso. I got very excited last night when I saw us go to a zone defense and we had Winder, Abouo and Harrison out on the wings. That's a VERY formidable and fast top of the zone. Switching to that defense every so often could really throw opponents off their rhythm.



I liked Austin as well. He ran the court well and played hard and thought he had more touch around the rim than anyone we've had since Rafa.


The biggest thing with Austin is how he moves. The game isn't too quick for him and keeps his coordination even when bumped. This will only improve as his strength increases.


I really think we can attribute the development of our big men this year to Coach Pope. Davies looks improved at times and Austin has come on faster than expected.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
beauso79 wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Great point Beauso. I got very excited last night when I saw us go to a zone defense and we had Winder, Abouo and Harrison out on the wings. That's a VERY formidable and fast top of the zone. Switching to that defense every so often could really throw opponents off their rhythm.



I liked Austin as well. He ran the court well and played hard and thought he had more touch around the rim than anyone we've had since Rafa.


The biggest thing with Austin is how he moves. The game isn't too quick for him and keeps his coordination even when bumped. This will only improve as his strength increases.




I really think we can attribute the development of our big men this year to Coach Pope. Davies looks improved at times and Austin has come on faster than expected.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I thought the same thing about pope last night. If Austin playing so well this early is any indication of what coach Pope can do, the future is bright.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.