Archived Topic

BYU to the Big East - How excited are you

by Y 4 Ever · 11/15/2011

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
If these latest rumors are true, and BYU is Big East bound, what is your excitement level?
L
Lawboy
Uncertain, but hopeful.



I like the scheduling certainty for football going forward. Most pleased with that.
D
Devbo
My opinion changes by the minute :)
G
Guest
Somewhere between meh and pumped. Like Lawboy said, uncertain but hopeful.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
Uncertain, but hopeful.



I like the scheduling certainty for football going forward. Most pleased with that.


Agreed. And I like the idea of being in a (hopefully) AQ league that will be winnable for us almost every year. Maybe we can turn the Fiesta bowl into what the Holiday bowl was in the 80s/ early 90s.



Would have been nice to be in the Big 12, but lets face it, the schedule would have been daunting, and we would have been the tiny fish. In the Big East, I imagine we'll carry a pretty big stick.
Advertisement
B
Bluma
A nationwide conference (exposure) that groups BYU with other teams that have really come on since the 70s and 80s. I like it. It may not be geographically traditional, but doesn't BYU want to travel abroad anyway? We can have our cake and eat it too with this setup. A football-only inclusion would keep our other teams in the WCC which benefits BYU's west coast fanbase. Not a bad deal. I'd rather see BYU play teams like UConn and Louisville in basketball, but travel would be a nightmare considering basketball has 3 times as many games per season. I'm sure we can face them in non-con being affiliated in football.



I like the Big XII too, but Big East just seems more BYU's "style" IMO. Teams without heavy tradition but have really started to become major in the past few decades.
F
frdbtr
I don't like it, never liked it. I don't like our Basketball team hung out to dry. I guess i have to accept it though since it is becoming obvious that the Big 12 (like the pac 10) simply didn't want us.
Y
Y12
In the middle of Meh and Pumped.



My trust in the BOT and BYU admin is allowing me to be optimistic and positive, but it was nowhere near my first or second option.



Like every big decision, you have to give it time. Before making any strong judgments.
J
jonnylingo
Let me just say this. If we manage to keep our espn deal and only play 1-2 conference games outside of our division then is it a phenomenal deal and I am pumped.



that is like indy without the drawbacks. money, exposure, bowls, and freedom to schedule big occ games on west coast with espn's help. that would be a sweet set up. oh and i forgot we have the easiest path to a bcs bowl that you can get.



so for me it is a wait and see what the deal is. the biggest concern is that big east even with all these teams could be destroyed within a month if acc, big 12, big 12 start poaching. rutgers, uconn, lousiville, etc. are all looking and will jump at the first invite from any of hte more stable conferences.



if we keep indy deal there isn't much risk there. i don't think they will lose their auto bid either, at least not for 6 years or so. also for those who want big12, it is still an option given the fact that if big12 comes before we become an actualy member which is probably not for a year or two, then we can get out just as tcu did without any litigation or penalties.
D
Dcr36
Of all the teams in the conference, Rutgers would be the oldest BE football team, since 1995. The remaining teams have joined in 2004, 2005, or whenever these new teams join. Not much history among these teams when it comes to playing in an AQ conference.



Yet, in those years you have 4-5 teams who have gone BCS (Louisville, Cinci, fluky UConn, BSU, likely soon to be Houston); outside of those, you have two teams who have finished in the top 12 (BYU and Rutgers). Of the "stragglers," USF, AFA and Navy are perennial 8-9 win teams under their current coaches (this year notwithstanding), UCF finished last year ranked, and SMU is looking good under June Jones.



I know the thread about this has come and gone, but I propose the Big East changes its name to the "Young Money Conference."
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I voted meh until i see the deal. It's easy to like the "best deal we can imagine" and I'm hopeful that materializes but the first thing that needs to go is the name. (Mountain East Conference? lol)



a few things are solid though: we join we get solidarity, BCS access and hopefully a hedge against superconferences. We also appear to join the weakest BCS conference of all. I'm a fan of all those things.
C
Cougarbib
DId I miss the memo? Did we get an invite? I am in favor of not accepting any invite from any conference until one is extended.





I noticed a couple of posters are still clinging onto comparisons with the Big 12.



The Big 12 has not offered. The PAC 12 has not offered. No one, to my knowledge has offered, unless the Big East has formalized an offer. If they have - I have not seen how it would affect TV rights, etc.



Should an offer come - it should be compared to Independence re whether one wants to do it or not do it. We have no other options at this time. That could change. And nothing is forever.



Remind me to respond to this poll, when there is an actual offer. Hint - I will be modestly pumped should that occur unless TV compromises are made. It also depends on everyone else rumored to be signing up - actually signing up.
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
DId I miss th ememo? Did we get an invite? I am in favor of not accepting any invite from any conference until one is extended.





I noticed a couple of posters are still clinging onto comparisons wit hthe Big 12.



The Big 12 has not offered. The PAC 12 has not offered. Noone, to my knowledge has offered, unless the Big East has formalized an offer. If they have - I have not seen how it would affect TV rights, etc.



Should an offer come - it should be compared to Independence re whether one wants to do it or not do it. We have o other options at this time. that could change. And nothing is forever.



Remind me to respond to this poll, when there is an actual offer. Hint - I will be modestly pumped should that occur unles TV compromises are made. It also depends on everyone else rumored to be signing up - actually signing up.


Bib, we all get that you don't think we should accept an offer until one has been extended. You can retire it now.



Fans are supposed to speculate about the future, how would you feel if an offer was extended? How would you feel if BYU accepted the offer, what if they didn't? etc. No one here is general counsel for BYU, or Tom Holmoe so not a single one of us has to worry about accepting offers before they are extended.



Thank you.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougarbib2 wrote:
DId I miss th ememo? Did we get an invite? I am in favor of not accepting any invite from any conference until one is extended.





I noticed a couple of posters are still clinging onto comparisons wit hthe Big 12.



The Big 12 has not offered. The PAC 12 has not offered. Noone, to my knowledge has offered, unless the Big East has formalized an offer. If they have - I have not seen how it would affect TV rights, etc.



Should an offer come - it should be compared to Independence re whether one wants to do it or not do it. We have o other options at this time. that could change. And nothing is forever.



Remind me to respond to this poll, when there is an actual offer. Hint - I will be modestly pumped should that occur unles TV compromises are made. It also depends on everyone else rumored to be signing up - actually signing up.


you can be such a wet blanket. It's ok to have an opinion before an "official invite is extended".
1
1967cougar
hawkwing wrote:
DId I miss th ememo? Did we get an invite? I am in favor of not accepting any invite from any conference until one is extended.





I noticed a couple of posters are still clinging onto comparisons wit hthe Big 12.



The Big 12 has not offered. The PAC 12 has not offered. Noone, to my knowledge has offered, unless the Big East has formalized an offer. If they have - I have not seen how it would affect TV rights, etc.



Should an offer come - it should be compared to Independence re whether one wants to do it or not do it. We have o other options at this time. that could change. And nothing is forever.



Remind me to respond to this poll, when there is an actual offer. Hint - I will be modestly pumped should that occur unles TV compromises are made. It also depends on everyone else rumored to be signing up - actually signing up.


Bib, we all get that you don't think we should accept an offer until one has been extended. You can retire it now.



Fans are supposed to speculate about the future, how would you feel if an offer was extended? How would you feel if BYU accepted the offer, what if they didn't? etc. No one here is general counsel for BYU, or Tom Holmoe so not a single one of us has to worry about accepting offers before they are extended.



Thank you.


In the words of an outdated term: Pawned!
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
jonnylingo wrote:
Let me just say this. If we manage to keep our espn deal and only play 1-2 conference games outside of our division then is it a phenomenal deal and I am pumped.



that is like indy without the drawbacks. money, exposure, bowls, and freedom to schedule big occ games on west coast with espn's help. that would be a sweet set up. oh and i forgot we have the easiest path to a bcs bowl that you can get.



so for me it is a wait and see what the deal is. the biggest concern is that big east even with all these teams could be destroyed within a month if acc, big 12, big 12 start poaching. rutgers, uconn, lousiville, etc. are all looking and will jump at the first invite from any of hte more stable conferences.



if we keep indy deal there isn't much risk there. i don't think they will lose their auto bid either, at least not for 6 years or so. also for those who want big12, it is still an option given the fact that if big12 comes before we become an actualy member which is probably not for a year or two, then we can get out just as tcu did without any litigation or penalties.


Amen. Since we can't honestly compare this to any other AQ conference (since we were never wanted) then yeah we are getting the best of Indy with the benefits of an AQ conference.
L
Lawboy
You have to understand that schools and conferences could be in serous negotiations, but that the final deal is not offered until all terms are agreed to by both parties. Until then, they are in good faith negotiations and no offer has occurred. That is what happened early with the Big XII. For some reason, a final deal that both party could agree to was never tendered. As it appears that the Big XII was the reason, BYU may never know what the sticking point was. But the fact remains that negotiations at a serious level took place. Just never culminated into an offer to join.



Same story with the Big East. Sounds like the media rights are the main issue again. BYU apparently likes that deal enough to not want to lose it when entering a league. This time, we are in a stronger position. BE is more desperate. But also has some more solid things to offer as well.



I think a deal gets done.
E
EM_Puma
I'll believe it when I see it, but it being indicated that BYU was dragging their feet on B12 a few months before on certain issues it wanted reassured about, then I would be okay with it. I like being in a conference. If we had the pull of Notre Dame, then independence really is sweet, but we don't and I feel that the reality of a November as an independent has nudged me further toward a conference. As long as we still have the TV rights we want, regardless of money, then it really doesn't matter to us, more than anyone, if the BE sinks or swims after 2014.



I have to believe though that the BE will be raided again and that bothers me a bit because I'm sure it will be CT or Louisville that will fall out next and we'll be left with a totally BE devoid of the BE teams, except for USF. At that point we'll have to see.
B
bcsbuster
I really like it. I would enjoy the fact that we would play meaningful games for conf standings and different bowl affiliations. I would love to see the boise game become our Thanksgiving weekend game. Forget the utes
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
DId I miss th ememo? Did we get an invite? I am in favor of not accepting any invite from any conference until one is extended.





I noticed a couple of posters are still clinging onto comparisons wit hthe Big 12.



The Big 12 has not offered. The PAC 12 has not offered. Noone, to my knowledge has offered, unless the Big East has formalized an offer. If they have - I have not seen how it would affect TV rights, etc.



Should an offer come - it should be compared to Independence re whether one wants to do it or not do it. We have o other options at this time. that could change. And nothing is forever.



Remind me to respond to this poll, when there is an actual offer. Hint - I will be modestly pumped should that occur unles TV compromises are made. It also depends on everyone else

rumored to be signing up - actually signing up.


Bib, we all get that you don't think we should accept an offer until one has been extended. You can retire it now.



Fans are supposed to speculate about the future, how would you feel if an offer was extended? How would you feel if BYU accepted the offer, what if they didn't? etc. No one here is general counsel for BYU, or Tom Holmoe so not a single one of us has to worry about accepting offers before they are extended.



Thank you.


Hawkmeister



The title of the OP makes it sound like it is a done deal and yet I could not find anything, anywhere about any new news. The polls about how would you want to join the Beast West already happened - making this seem quite redundant. I probably created one or two of those myself and extolled the virtues of it.



The title of this post sounded like there was some announcement I had missed. I did see a tweet on the topic from CB a few minutes ago, but have not had time to read it.



So how in the h e c c k would anyone know how they feel about this until all the specifics raised in the other myriad posts are spelled out.



Hey let's repeat them all again even though I already get it that you and I would want to know that Sunday play is resolved, the money is reasonable, the right other teams are ALL joining, TV and rebroadcast does not suffer too much, we are not locked in too tight to consider a Big 12 invite if UT comes later, football only or some west BB division, and any other nuances.



Anyway - speaking of redundant - this one is redundant - and I don't want to get too worked up about it until their is an offer - too many red suits would get immense pleasure from watching us grovel again for BCS - assuming we were as good as in - and then nada. Long hard fall.



I would like to see it if terms are right and hope we can compete.



All if which was posted in the previous posts on this topic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.