Archived Topic

Impact of losing this year's seniors for 2012

by byucougar1 · 11/15/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
We lose 19 seniors after AF bowl game.



Most noticeable losses on the OL: MR, TB; WR: Jacobsen, Hafoka, Marshall; RB: JJ, Kariya. On defense: Eason, Pendleton, Uale, Fangupo, Frazier, Wagner, et. al. I know that I am missing some players, but those guys stand out.



I believe that Riker Matthews takes over for Reynolds, and that Reynolds may move to center. I assume Williams, Hine and Pritchard will be suitable replacements to provide additional support Alisa and Juice.



Any thoughts on how we stack up next year?
L
Lawboy
We will be better next year. Just hope our Oline gets more nastiness in them, especially on run blocking.
J
jonnylingo
Isn't Ryker going on a mission?
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:
Isn't Ryker going on a mission?


I don't think so. HE had no plans to serve coming into BYU, so unless that has changed, he will be back.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Isn't Ryker going on a mission?


I don't think so. HE had no plans to serve coming into BYU, so unless that has changed, he will be back.


I can't remember when he got injured was it before the season or during? I assume he just took his red shirt this year so he will have four years.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
We will be better next year. Just hope our Oline gets more nastiness in them, especially on run blocking.


AMEN!
Y
Y12
Lawboy wrote:
We will be better next year. Just hope our Oline gets more nastiness in them, especially on run blocking.


The oline has a history of playing better when expectations are lower/question marks are bigger.



As a whole, this senior class isn't very devastating.
D
Dwight
Can anyone list the players that will return from missions, start as redshirt freshmen etc?It seems like the defense will be taking the biggest hit.



I wonder if next year will be BYU's best shot at a good team. Will Hoffman or Van Noy leave early for the NFL after next year?



I'm already making plans to see BYU play on the Smurf Turf. I take every opportunity to eat at the Flying Pie Pizzaria in Boise.
B
Brayden Green
I doubt that Hoffman goes early for the NFL. He doesn't have close to NFL speed or seperation, so he will need an extra year of butt-kicking stats to even be drafted. The WR is the deepest position group in the NFL.



KVN, time will tell. It depends on our record, and his performance. It is certainly possible, but he is a BYU guy through and through, and I could see him sticking around for his senior year unless he was a 1st or 2nd rd pick.



As far as "new" impact players for next year: Pritchard should help,Timo-HIne will be good for KR and PR and possibly some impact in the running game. Craig Bills played serious time as a true freshman, and is the real deal. If he gets back from his mission in game shape - or close to - there is little doubt in my mind he starts at FS for us. If he isn't I imagine that Everett will earn the starting job, or at least contribute in a big way.



Zac Stout redshirted this year, and he will likely start in the middle. Matthews will likely take over LT. Eathyn and Fuga both return (I think?) so the front D line is just finding another big chubby to go hit people. Probably graham Rowley.





(I know I say this every year, lol) It looks as if we will field one of the best defenses that BYU has ever had next year. Our secondary which is our only real gaping weakness this year will be legit with another year under their belt, and a safety who knows what he is doing on the field.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Biggest hole to fill is OLB. Losing a stud like JP hurts, and then we lose two more experienced guys with experience (Wagner and Frazier). But we always seem to have good LBs...at least lately.



I agree with Lawboy and the5cowwifeguy that the Oline needs some nastiness. They also need better overall athleticism. I think that in recruiting the coaches need to realize that gaining athleticism at the cost of losing a few pounds is ok.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
We pick up Dulan on the Dline next year. So, it should be solid and deep. Fangupo was a beast! And we get back Kaufusi. But word has it he may play TE or Oline. That kid is an athlete!

Fua has played well. He needs to put on a few pounds. Dont know his mission plans.

My guess: Offense about the same, maybe better. Defense we lose a little bit unless new faces make a big difference.
T
trueblue72
I don't think there are any guys that we won't be able to live without. Matt Reynolds has been steady but not a John Tait type that we all projected him to be. This next guy has been inconsistent at best but Terrance Brown has massive size and although Blair Tushaus (?) has good technique, boy is undersized. he needs to put on some more lbs before next year. Not a ton but maybe 15-20 get up near 300. I don't think there is anyone that we will truly miss next year.



Not to derail the thread, but with Bills back next year, Sampson moved to safety, Hague, Sorenson, Mees, and Jray all fighting for two spots. Do you all think that O'Neill Chambers will really stay on the defensive side? Or do the rest of you see what I see and that is Sorenson adding a few lbs and playing outside backer and possible Chambers taking his spot? What say you?
C
Cougs_Rule
Is Hague tall enough for OLB? I know we've been spoiled w/ JP, KVN, JF, etc. BUt isnt he like 5'10"? Maybe OC could give OLB a shot? He would have a better body type for that?
M
mizzoucoug
I didn't see any names there worth really mentioning except for Kariya and Pendleton. Kariya, however is not an every down back and Pendleton is always hurt and we've learned to play without him.



I can't wait for all of the undue optimism this offseason!
J
jonnylingo
losing pendleton, frazier, and wagner is a hit.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.