Archived Topic

Cornerback play

by Lawboy · 11/15/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I know a few guys got ripped early, but I just want to point out how solid our corners have been all year long. We have the best depth at that position that I can ever remember. We actually go 3-deep with athletic ability at both corner spots. And it was AWESOME seeing Joe Sampson play as a 3rd safety/corner on the slot receiver most of the game last week. Bronco made a major adjustment there--just a bit late, but made it all the same. it bodes well for next year for sure.



If we can get a pass rush to go with those LBS and corners, we will see a huge uptick in picks, because our cover guys are hugely improved from 2008 and after. And this year they are better than solid.
S
snoscythe
I read somewhere (CougarStats?) that BYU is #1 in the nation in redzone pass efficiency defense, and it's not even close. I believe our defensive pass efficiency in the redzone is in the 40s, twenty points better than the #2 team's SEC defense. I want to say we have only allowed one touchdown pass in 30 redzone defensive stands.
C
cougarnerd
So if we play bump-and-run one-on-one coverage, and stack the box and blitz, how much does our defense improve?
R
redneckjedi
cougarnerd wrote:
So if we play bump-and-run one-on-one coverage, and stack the box and blitz, how much does our defense improve?


If we do that against a half-decent QB we'll get burned more often than not, because that's not the type of CB we have.
S
snoscythe
redneckjedi wrote:
So if we play bump-and-run one-on-one coverage, and stack the box and blitz, how much does our defense improve?


If we do that against a half-decent QB we'll get burned more often than not, because that's not the type of CB we have.


It's not the type of DL we have either.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Sounds like Bronco plans on using Sampson even more now that JP is out. On passing downs, we will play 2 pass rushing lineman, free up KVN and Frazier to rush, and play a 3rd "safety" in Sampson. I like the flexibility of it. Is a smaller but faster defense.
B
byucougar1
Speed kills on both sides of the ball. I believe this is what Bronco wants - a swarming defense that allows the DBs to put on some pressure in combo with the LBs. Sampson was just due to get more playing time as he had some early TFL early in the year which showed he could cover some ground and definitely tackle/cover RBs/WR with authority.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.