Archived Topic

Hoffman and Apo

by Devbo · 11/14/2011

Advertisement
D
Devbo
When Apo learns to use his height to his advantage, our WR duo will be awesome. When in coverage, Hoffman goes up to catch the ball at it's highest point, and usually makes the catch. Apo has a tendency to let the ball come to him, which doesn't necessarily work when in coverage.



A couple things to remember: Hoffman played all last year, a luxury Apo did not have. Hoffman has had more game time to learn and develop. Out of curiosity, was Hoffman making all of the leaping/monkey grabs at the end of last year, or is that a development of this year? Second, Apo's concussion(s). Those set back his development this year and is an extra hurdle for him to overcome, but he's played pretty well considering. He is also still a freshman and has lots of time to become an awesome WR.
S
SpiffCoug
It's interesting to me that even with Apo's struggles this year, when he comes in, opponents still bring safety help over the top. Watch it next week. These two are going to be very good together the rest of this year and the next two years.
B
BYULV
I love this combo and I'm excited to see how they develop in coming games and years. on the other hand, what is up with Jacobson? His play has been inexcusable. The drop yesterday was one of the easier catches of the day and would have been for a nice gain - just hit him in the hands.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
BYULV wrote:
I love this combo and I'm excited to see how they develop in coming games and years. on the other hand, what is up with Jacobson? His play has been inexcusable. The drop yesterday was one of the easier catches of the day and would have been for a nice gain - just hit him in the hands.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If you watch the replay, Heaps hit him right in the 6 on his chest.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y4LYFE
BYULV wrote:
I love this combo and I'm excited to see how they develop in coming games and years. on the other hand, what is up with Jacobson? His play has been inexcusable. The drop yesterday was one of the easier catches of the day and would have been for a nice gain - just hit him in the hands.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




MJ issue: Too many mind.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I love this combo and I'm excited to see how they develop in coming games and years. on the other hand, what is up with Jacobson? His play has been inexcusable. The drop yesterday was one of the easier catches of the day and would have been for a nice gain - just hit him in the hands.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If you watch the replay, Heaps hit him right in the 6 on his chest.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I can forgive a drop like that from a freshman early on in his career, but never from a senior. I was really hoping he'd have broken out last season and this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I agree with the disappointment of MJ, but honestly I'd use him more in returns. He knows how to turn the speed on. That return yesterday that was called back for a hold, he was almost a blur going by those on the field.
M
mizzoucoug
A glaring weakness of this offense in my opinion is that Doman is not running WR screens nearly often enough. Just going based on what I have seen they've probably averaged 7 yards/catch every time they've gone there. Apo is simply an athlete right now, not much of a WR. Give him the ball in space, and at his length he will pick up a good chunk every time. Hoffman obviously has proven capable of the same. I can't think of a better way to get these 2 involved than to give them a free catch and chance to run someone over.
C
crh55
These two are studs, what great is there are more studs on their way. Terren Houk and Josh Weeks also have height and speed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
EM_Puma wrote:
I agree with the disappointment of MJ, but honestly I'd use him more in returns. He knows how to turn the speed on. That return yesterday that was called back for a hold, he was almost a blur going by those on the field.

It's funny, I thought that was Jordan Johnson at first (also #6).



JorJohn actually had a pretty good catch in the game!
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Do we know why Johnson stopped returning kicks?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
He kept fumbling.
B
BYULV
Short memory, I can't remember him fumbling more than once.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I remember at least two fumbles that he lost, and possibly a third fumble that he recovered.
C
cougarnerd
He's got speed and shiftiness. Now, all he needs to do is learn ball control. Then maybe he'd be at least as good as Cody...maybe bring back a kickoff and punt each for a TD next year...
Advertisement
K
kfilly20
Is it just me or does Apo seem disinterested most of the time? Maybe he is just so smooth that he looks like he isn't trying his hardest. Just seems lackadaisical sometimes.
C
cougarnerd
kfilly20 wrote:
Is it just me or does Apo seem disinterested most of the time? Maybe he is just so smooth that he looks like he isn't trying his hardest. Just seems lackadaisical sometimes.


Yeah, he's not working hard enough, and he isn't fighting enough.



Look at Cody. Totally aggressive, he uses his height to go for, shield, and bring down the ball. That's what Ross needs to learn.



p.s. if they haven't already, they need to learn Ben Cahoon's catchability.
J
jonnylingo
cougarnerd wrote:
Is it just me or does Apo seem disinterested most of the time? Maybe he is just so smooth that he looks like he isn't trying his hardest. Just seems lackadaisical sometimes.


Yeah, he's not working hard enough, and he isn't fighting enough.



Look at Cody. Totally aggressive, he uses his height to go for, shield, and bring down the ball. That's what Ross needs to learn.



p.s. if they haven't already, they need to learn Ben Cahoon's catchability.


This is pure speculation. It is a personality difference. Apo plays hard. To claim he is not working hard enough seems very disingenuous to me.
J
jojoelchango
you know i brought that point up about apo when i was at the oregon state game, but the more i watch him and think about it, I think it's just his body frame and it looks like he's just trotting along. you watch him and falsev or jacobson check in and they look like theyre busting their butts to get into position and apo just sorta jogs there, i think its because he's 7 feet tall and falsev/jacobson are like 4 feet tall ;)
C
cougarnerd
jojoelchango wrote:
you know i brought that point up about apo when i was at the oregon state game, but the more i watch him and think about it, I think it's just his body frame and it looks like he's just trotting along. you watch him and falsev or jacobson check in and they look like theyre busting their butts to get into position and apo just sorta jogs there, i think its because he's 7 feet tall and falsev/jacobson are like 4 feet tall ;)


I think that you're exaggerating by about 3-5%
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.