Archived Topic

Can Cougs get ranked if they win out?

by Dwight · 11/13/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
I hate to tempt fate, but I saw they got some votes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Prob depends who we beat in the Bowl. There's a chance we could finish like 25 or so.
R
rblack
A 10-3 BYU team will be ranked. A 9-4 BYU team might be ranked if they win their bowl game a 9-3 Tulsa team.
C
Cougarbib
YES - at 10-3 I would fully expect it. Utes could also win out and with 4 losses - small possibility of being right next to us.



When counting chickens before they have hatched, it is kind of like counting BIG 12 invites before they are extended.



A month ago, we were about to go down to USU. It seems that we are better than that now, but NMSU is as dangerous as USU. They can get hot and score. Probably weaker on defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
It doesn't hurt that our losses look a little better after last week. Utah's (gulp) starting to look pretty good, and a 10-point loss to TCU suddenly looks a lot better.
Advertisement
M
Mars


I think a 10-3 season and a #25 ranking would be a fairly successful season in the first year of independence. Especially considering last season. And especially considering the first third of this one.
S
Schmoe
I agree, at this point and the way the season has gone, I would consider ending the season ranked as a success and a great way to kick off independence.
D
Dwight
If I were a player, a shot at getting BYU ranked again would mean about as much as a Championship in a low level conference. Maybe fans and players do have something meaningful to play/hope for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
Dwight wrote:
If I were a player, a shot at getting BYU ranked again would mean about as much as a Championship in a low level conference. Maybe fans and players do have something meaningful to play/hope for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agree wholeheartedly.
S
snoscythe
I don't think so. I think their ceiling is about #30 in the extended rankings.



The only way I see it happening is if we, against all odds, pull a ranked opponent in the AF Bowl and then lay wood on them 38-8 style.
Advertisement
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I don't think so. I think their ceiling is about #30 in the extended rankings.

IMO, even as a die-hard BYU fan I would have a hard time ranking our 3-loss team above many other 5-loss squads.



For example, BYU is currently 48th in Sagarin's predictor rankings. Missouri, who has 5 losses, is 10th.
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:
I don't think so. I think their ceiling is about #30 in the extended rankings.

IMO, even as a die-hard BYU fan I would have a hard time ranking our 3-loss team above many other 5-loss squads.


I would agree, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen 8)
D
Dcr36
Possibly relevant team - the Independent 2009 Navy team that went 10-4 and finished #28 AP #26 Coaches.



Marquee wins were 6-6 ND, 7-5 SMU, and 5-7 Wake Forest. Losses to #5 Ohio State, #15 Pitt, 9-3 Temple, and 6-7 Hawaii (hence the 14 games).



Got a big boost by beating an 8-win Mizzou team in their bowl game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.