Archived Topic

It wasn't if?, it was when?

by crh55 · 11/13/2011

Advertisement
C
crh55
Riley looks to be out the rest of the year with a broken rib (maybe back for the bowl game) so now Heaps is back as the starter.



Has he learned anything from riding the pine? Will the humble pie help him be a better QB?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I'll answer your questions but first answer me this....



Ridding the pine? is that some sort of reference to Northern Idaho's loggin community?



Are you talking about Heaps or Nelson being better after sitting?



Who is BYU's QB in 2016?



Do broken ribs really hold someone out for more than a week?
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
I'll answer your questions but first answer me this....



Ridding the pine? is that some sort of reference to Northern Idaho's loggin community?



Are you talking about Heaps or Nelson being better after sitting?



Who is BYU's QB in 2016?



Do broken ribs really hold someone out for more than a week?


Riding the pine works better for baseball but only when the bench is made of pinewood. Since the football reservs are usually standing - I guess the metaphor is weak.



I was wondering how long a broken rib would keep Riley out. They are painful, but then you have your pain blocking shots.



Injury for Riley is always a risk. Same for Jake for any defense good enough to bring the wood and still cover the receivers. That is why Doman had Jake making mostly quick passes.
M
Mythranor
Depends on the rib and the severity of the fracture I would bet. Higher ribs will affect the throwing motion more, and cause more pain than lower ribs.
G
Guest
Big loss for us. Hope we have a chance against Hawaii with Jake but the odds are worse now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
... but the odds are worse now.

Like a thousand times worse. Thanks for stating the obvious. :P ;)
S
Schmoe
Riding the pine or riding the pine pony is a pretty common euphemism for sitting on the bench.



The funny thing is, everyone's been saying how it was just a matter of time til Riley got hurt because he lowered his shoulder when running, but this injury came from him sitting back in the pocket and passing the ball.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
Riding the pine or riding the pine pony is a pretty common euphemism for sitting on the bench.



The funny thing is, everyone's been saying how it was just a matter of time til Riley got hurt because he lowered his shoulder when running, but this injury came from him sitting back in the pocket and passing the ball.


Ironic. And he hung in there and waited for the route to develop and made the throw instead of tucking and running. I noticed RIley had commented to an official about lateness of those hits back thre and then bam. Bronco complained about thelateness, but was told by the officials it was not late.
S
SpiffCoug
If you had told me Riley would get hurt this year, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you had told me the on which he got hurt would a passing play I might have doubted you. If you had told me it would be Idaho that knocked him out of the game, I would have been surprised.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
If you had told me Riley would get hurt this year, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you had told me the on which he got hurt would a passing play I might have doubted you. If you had told me it would be Idaho that knocked him out of the game, I would have been surprised.

The Idaho knocking him out did not surprise me. I posted that worrying about it affected my prognostication of points and yards.



Back in the day - USU knocked out Young and also wrecked Gordon Hudson's knee. Those level of opponents can get a little bit chippy. Idaho had a pattern of usually blitzing Vs an opponent when Idaho was overmatched. They seemed to be going after Riley from the start.



Until BYU pass protection becomes more consistent, Doman may want to call more quick developing pass plays or draws and running plays to slow the blitzing down by makingvthem pay.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:



Until BYU pass protection becomes more consistent, Doman may want to call more quick developing pass plays or draws and running plays to slow the blitzing down by makingvthem pay.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I think at this point of the season you don't use the word "until."



This season is practically a lost cause for pass protection. We have had all stars on the O line, anyone not named "Matt Reynolds" is average on their best day at pass protection. I think you call screens and delay draws no matter what. Make the defense slow it down a bit.
C
Cougarbib
I haven't given up hope yet. Maybe there is still some learning curve with Doman or with the players in Doman's offense. Or maybe they are just over-rated. But Doman does need to figure out how to make them pay when they bring the heat or Jake will get injured too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
If you had told me Riley would get hurt this year, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you had told me the on which he got hurt would a passing play I might have doubted you. If you had told me it would be Idaho that knocked him out of the game, I would have been surprised.


The true irony is that he got hurt doing exactly what many of us, myself included, criticized Jake Heaps for not doing, i.e. not being a wuss.
S
Schmoe
BlueIsBetter wrote:



Until BYU pass protection becomes more consistent, Doman may want to call more quick developing pass plays or draws and running plays to slow the blitzing down by makingvthem pay.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I think at this point of the season you don't use the word "until."



This season is practically a lost cause for pass protection. We have had all stars on the O line, anyone not named "Matt Reynolds" is average on their best day at pass protection. I think you call screens and delay draws no matter what. Make the defense slow it down a bit.


All QB's take shots, at every level, and Riley had time to complete the passes he was throwing on both plays where he got hit. It isn't as simple as "oh, woe are we, our pass protection is TERRIBLE..." They brought pressure and didn't leave as many in coverage, and Riley made them pay for it (but also took some hits).
B
Brayden Green
I agree with that, Schmoe. They sold out to get the hits.



But our Oline protection is just okay. Teams like Idaho shouldn't be giving us shots like that. 3 Years ago, we would have gone the whole game with the qb not taking shot after shot like that.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
declocoug wrote:
... but the odds are worse now.

Like a thousand times worse. Thanks for stating the obvious. :P ;)


Hawaii lost their all-everything starting QB. I think it is worse for them than for us.
S
stuckinbig10country
The OL showed some pride after Nelson took those wicked shots. Idaho never really got close to Jake, except on the INT, and he didn't take a hit on that one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
imuakahuku wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
... but the odds are worse now.

Like a thousand times worse. Thanks for stating the obvious. :P ;)


Hawaii lost their all-everything starting QB. I think it is worse for them than for us.


I agree. With Hawaii's QB breaking his ankle they don't have much of a shot against us. As long as we don't have 7 turnovers and we run the ball well we should win easily in Hawaii.
C
crh55
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The OL showed some pride after Nelson took those wicked shots. Idaho never really got close to Jake, except on the INT, and he didn't take a hit on that one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I thought players only made plays for Riley and not Jake...
S
SenorCougar
declocoug wrote:
... but the odds are worse now.

Like a thousand times worse. Thanks for stating the obvious. :P ;)


Then you should hope that Jake transfers to Utah so they will be "like a thousand times worse". Only problem is, with the Cougs defensive backfield, the "thousand times worse" QB would have a field day. Meanwhile, the Cougs will counter with the ever threatening James Lark, who strikes fear into every opponent. And all these BS comments that "we want Jake to succeed" at BYU is nothing but propaganda. Likewise, thanks for stating the obvious about your true feelings...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.