Archived Topic

Lark Time Please

by mizzoucoug · 11/13/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Game has been over for a while. We know what Heaps brings to the table and those of us who figured Riley would get hurt at some point were right...so it's time to develop what in all likelihood will be the #2 next season. Come on coaches!
C
crh55
It was nice to see him in the game, hopefully he can engineer a scoring drive. We still have an store quarter to play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
fifthqb
I thought he did alright. He's been getting 0 reps in practice ever since they benched Heaps. So that was basically him coming in raw. Without the drop from Marshall that was on the money, he was 50% on his passes. Not great, but passable for playing with third stringers. His run for the first down was a great example of his athleticism.



He was upset they didn't let him throw on that last drive on third down. I was glad to see him get some playing time, but he is a little rough for sure.
U
Ungoy
Well, depending on how long Riley's out, Lark will be getting increased reps.
B
BroncoBot
If I know Riley like I think I do, he'll be pushing for PT next week.
Advertisement
F
fifthqb
I expect to see him vs. Hawaii. I think the coaching staff is pretty confident they will be New Mexico State and there isn't a need to rush him back out on the field. Sit him next week, then he can have a couple of weeks to heal up to start against Hawaii.
S
SpiffCoug
Lark was poor.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lark was poor.


Probably better than any of the 3 Idaho QBs played, but then they were playing against our D and Lark played against their lack of defense.



I agree that Lark was not at all impressive. Hopefully he will get a ton of mop up reps Vs NMSU and he may start to look better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
fifthqb
Matthews dropped a ball that was on the money and Lark was playing with 2nd-3rd string offensive guys with absolutely no reps. I wouldn't call the performance good, but I don't think it warrants being poor. He did rush for a few first downs as well. It wasn't good, but it wasn't Jake Heaps vs. Utah State bad.



And yes I'm biased. I was just glad to see Lark get some time. He is clearly the 3rd string quarterback, but for being a 3rd string, he's pretty good.
D
Dcr36
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lark was poor.


I agree, which is too bad. I remember being a little bothered when Nelson was the go-to guy when Heaps got benched and not Lark. Shows why I'm not a coach.



In Lark's defense, it could've been rust. I doubt he's getting a ton of reps in practice. Still, though, no need to move him anywhere on the depth chart.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Ungoy wrote:
Well, depending on how long Riley's out, Lark will be getting increased reps.

This.

Let's see how he looks in the 4th-quarter next week after actually getting some practice reps again.
L
Lawboy
Hard to judge a performance like this. He had the scout team Oline, and the scout team receivers to throw to. Give him the starters and I think he looks better. I thought he looked poised. Ws not asked to do much at all. I bet he looks better next week.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Jake and Nelson would have more trouble too if Hoffman wasn't in to throw it to.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
Hard to judge a performance like this. He had the scout team Oline, and the scout team receivers to throw to. Give him the starters and I think he looks better. I thought he looked poised. Ws not asked to do much at all. I bet he looks better next week.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


But against a scout team defense as well. ;)
B
BYULV
I thought he played well for a third string QB with few if any significant practice reps and surrounded by backups. I liked his poise and his ability to create time with the roll out. He can run, but seemed to know where the first down line was and got there and out. I think he did about as well as could be expected under the circumstances.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I will say that on that one scramble he had to the Idaho sideline where he ran/was pushed out of bounds and then hurdled the equipment table was quite impressive.
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
I will say that on that one scramble he had to the Idaho sideline where he ran/was pushed out of bounds and then hurdled the equipment table was quite impressive.

I also wondered if that was a late hit.
S
shakavaka
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lark was poor.


Did anyone honestly expect differently? It still amazes me the hopes people had for him.... he's 3rd string for a reason... After all the crap people talk about Heaps, its funny to me that people actually think Lark would play better... Lets get real people
S
SpiffCoug
Yes. I never expect poor play from BYU quarterbacks. I wasn't expecting a Heaps performance. Heaps was very good against Idaho. But 2 of 6 for 11 yards and a PER of 48.73 is well below my level of expectation for any QB regardless of their position on the depth chart.
C
Cougs_Rule
I like the way Lark plays--his potential, that is. He has good feet, scrambles well, and if he can find his passing, he looks a little bit like Christian Ponder-STYLE.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.