Archived Topic

This just in jr.

by Schmoe · 11/13/2011

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
The "third best team in the country" couldn't score a touchdown on LSU, even in overtime with the ball starting on the 25, and ended up with 6 points. Western Kentucky just put up seven in the first quarter. Do we REALLY think that this is the best team/best defense in college football? Or is it just that SEC offenses are terrible?



SJSU and USU play to a one-point squeaker. Looks like they're pretty comparable teams, after all.
B
BerliNY
Ask Oregon if they think SEC defenses are overrated.
S
Schmoe
BerliNY wrote:
Ask Oregon if they think SEC defenses are overrated.


You mean from LAST YEAR? You mean the Oregon team that had no run game other than the read option, even from the one yard line? The Oregon team that lost by three, passed for almost 400 yards, averaged almost 10 yards a pass, and put up 19 on the best defense ever? Ok, I'll ask them :roll:



EDIT--Sorry, were you talking about THIS year? Where Oregon put up 27 on LSU, threw for 240, and ran for another 100? Should I ask that team?
M
mjk5
Idk...hasn't the SEC won about the last 5 NCs in a row?



I think it is likely that teams don't kill themselves over opponents they don't need to.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
So, the SEC champ has won their bowl game several years in a row, big whoop. They got there on the over-inflated reputation of their conference. How did the SEC do in their bowl games last year, .500? And don't call it an NC, because it's not one.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Schmoe wrote:
Ask Oregon if they think SEC defenses are overrated.


You mean from LAST YEAR? You mean the Oregon team that had no run game other than the read option, even from the one yard line? The Oregon team that lost by three, passed for almost 400 yards, averaged almost 10 yards a pass, and put up 19 on the best defense ever? Ok, I'll ask them :roll:



EDIT--Sorry, were you talking about THIS year? Where Oregon put up 27 on LSU, threw for 240, and ran for another 100? Should I ask that team?


Whoa, easy there schmoe.
S
Schmoe
BerliNY wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
Ask Oregon if they think SEC defenses are overrated.


You mean from LAST YEAR? You mean the Oregon team that had no run game other than the read option, even from the one yard line? The Oregon team that lost by three, passed for almost 400 yards, averaged almost 10 yards a pass, and put up 19 on the best defense ever? Ok, I'll ask them :roll:



EDIT--Sorry, were you talking about THIS year? Where Oregon put up 27 on LSU, threw for 240, and ran for another 100? Should I ask that team?


Whoa, easy there schmoe.


Just trying to figure out what you meant.
B
BerliNY
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Ask Oregon if they think SEC defenses are overrated.


You mean from LAST YEAR? You mean the Oregon team that had no run game other than the read option, even from the one yard line? The Oregon team that lost by three, passed for almost 400 yards, averaged almost 10 yards a pass, and put up 19 on the best defense ever? Ok, I'll ask them :roll:



EDIT--Sorry, were you talking about THIS year? Where Oregon put up 27 on LSU, threw for 240, and ran for another 100? Should I ask that team?


Whoa, easy there schmoe.


Just trying to figure out what you meant.


Sarcasm and Eye rolls are only rarely used when trying figure out what the other person meant.



FWIW: Oregons Stats: Against all else (against LSU):



Points/Game: 49 (27)

yds/game: 516 (335)

rush yds/game: 317 (95)

NetTO/gam: .88 (-3)



My point is that Oregon's offense is definitely one of the best in the country (I'd say OSU is better but they haven't played any SEC teams) and their stats against LSU were pedestrian at best. When you add to that the fact that most of Oregon's offense against LSU came in the fourth quarter when they were already down by 20 points. Then add to that a similar story against Auburn last year and you get a rough picture of what I meant.
S
Schmoe
Sure, but the rest of Oregon's games haven't really been against stout defenses. Sure, the SEC has good defense, but it's quite a bit overrated.
M
Mars


Good rants in this thread. Not good discussion, but good rants.
Advertisement
M
mjk5
Schmoe wrote:
So, the SEC champ has won their bowl game several years in a row, big whoop. They got there on the over-inflated reputation of their conference. How did the SEC do in their bowl games last year, .500? And don't call it an NC, because it's not one.

They still beat the second best team in the country the last 5 years in their bowl game. And I'd hate to start echoing their whole "anyone can get up for just one game" argument because I don't buy into that.



I think what we saw in Alabama vs. LSU was more of case of two teams knowing every inch of their opponent's offense from playing every year.
S
Schmoe
You really think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country the year that LSU beat them? Really? Anyone else in the top-10 would have beaten them, it was a gift that was given to the SEC champ because of hype of the rhetoric of a slick coach. Don't tell me that the two best teams actually meet in the BCS championship every year, because that's just not true. Alabama vs. LSU was boring football, was poorly executed offense, and was good defense. Both the teams are good, sure, but overrated.
M
mjk5
Maybe not, but that would be pretty lucky if the SEC team just happened to get a "below top 10" team five years in a row.



I don't mean to argue or rain on a good rant. There's no doubt that the SEC teams benefit from an inflated perception during their down years. But I don't see either LSU or Alabama losing to anyone other than each other this year. However, I'm often wrong.



Anyway, my opinion is probably a little biased. I've been working at the University of Alabama for 3 months now and I can see myself already getting a little indoctrinated ;)
S
Schmoe
mjk5 wrote:

Anyway, my opinion is probably a little biased. I've been working at the University of Alabama for 3 months now and I can see myself already getting a little indoctrinated ;)


Ah, and there it is, the truth comes out :lol:
N
NebraskaCoug
Schmoe wrote:
You really think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country the year that LSU beat them? Really? Anyone else in the top-10 would have beaten them, it was a gift that was given to the SEC champ because of hype of the rhetoric of a slick coach. Don't tell me that the two best teams actually meet in the BCS championship every year, because that's just not true. Alabama vs. LSU was boring football, was poorly executed offense, and was good defense. Both the teams are good, sure, but overrated.


I think BerliNY meant Oklahoma State not Ohio State, and I think he is talking about this season. Ok State has been an offensive juggernaut this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
NebraskaCoug wrote:
You really think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country the year that LSU beat them? Really? Anyone else in the top-10 would have beaten them, it was a gift that was given to the SEC champ because of hype of the rhetoric of a slick coach. Don't tell me that the two best teams actually meet in the BCS championship every year, because that's just not true. Alabama vs. LSU was boring football, was poorly executed offense, and was good defense. Both the teams are good, sure, but overrated.


I think BerliNY meant Oklahoma State not Ohio State, and I think he is talking about this season. Ok State has been an offensive juggernaut this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No doubt Ok. St. is an offensive juggernaut this year, they're my pick to play in the BCS championship vs. the SEC winner. What I was doing was bringing up Ohio St. as an example of how easy it has been for the SEC to win some of the "championship" games the last five years because they get in no matter what and are often gifted teams who don't deserve to be there.
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe, no "junior" about this thread! 16 posts; 286 views! I think all of the regular "This Just Ins" together don't equal that! But I digress, FWIW, I think OK State will put up 28 on LSU (like Oregon did) but give up only 17 and win the NC....
M
Mars


The Oklahoma-Oklahoma State game will be very interesting. On the season, OU has had the much better defense... which makes it so odd that they gave up 41 to Texas Tech, while OSU only gave up 6.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.