Archived Topic

Emoticons Work-in-Progress Thread

by Sammich · 10/26/2009

Advertisement
S
Sammich
I think I'm more likely to get feedback here than in the administration forum. Here's where I'll post updates, and you can give your feedback, requests, etc. on the new "smilies." Thanks!



Here's the latest:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Emoticons_Temp2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
I think they are looking really awesome, keep up the good work! Love the Yewt so far!
M
Mars


Sweet!
S
Sammich
Testing: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/NotSure.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



The previous ones got too jumbled if I made them too small so I enlarged the features. Does this still read as a cougar?
M
Mars
Sammich wrote:
Testing: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/NotSure.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



The previous ones got too jumbled if I made them too small so I enlarged the features. Does this still read as a cougar?

Ideally, the emoticons are the same height as the standard line of font. Practically, they are just a little bit bigger.



You're the expert. I can tell because it looks great!
Advertisement
G
Guest
Sammich wrote:
Testing: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/NotSure.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



The previous ones got too jumbled if I made them too small so I enlarged the features. Does this still read as a cougar?


It looks really nice! Can you make the background transparent so it doesn't have a white square around it?
S
Schmoe
I really like these, the Utard is hilarious!
S
Sammich
Mars wrote:
Ideally, the emoticons are the same height as the standard line of font. Practically, they are just a little bit bigger.



You're the expert. I can tell because it looks great!

Yeah, I tried originally to shrink them down to the size of the current emoticons (15 pixels) but they became unreadable. So I'm going with a more practical 25 pixels. So they'll push the lines of text around a little but hopefully not be too disruptive.
S
Sammich
hawkwing wrote:

It looks really nice! Can you make the background transparent so it doesn't have a white square around it?

Yep, when I finally save them as .gif files I'll wipe out the background.
K
kiwibacon
Sammich, I really like the icons you have come up with.



I don't want to offend anyone but once the new icons are ready...can I request that we keep this icon " :twisted: " for Catholicmat. His posts are not the same with out that icon...or I wonder if their is a cougar icon that can be created by sammich to be added in addition to the "mad cougar" icon that he has already created. I don't know if it is the red eyes or what but we just need a really evil cougar for Cmat (ok for me too and anyone else who wants to use it) if we are going to get rid of this one " :twisted: " Maybe a Cougar with an evil smile with drool or blood dripping out of its mouth... think "scar" from Lion King with one of his evil looks and make it a Cougar.



Just my 2 cents...feel free to completely ignore it and chalk it up to some crazed persons ramblings... :mrgreen:
Advertisement
M
Mars
kiwibacon wrote:
can I request that we keep this icon " :twisted: " for Catholicmat. His posts are not the same with out that icon... or I wonder if their is a cougar icon that can be created by sammich... I don't know if it is the red eyes or what but we just need a really evil cougar for Cmat (ok for me too and anyone else who wants to use it) if we are going to get rid of this one " :twisted: " Maybe a Cougar with an evil smile with drool or blood dripping out of its mouth...
Haha, I know we greatly underestimate the time and energy/effort that Sammich puts into these things, but a bloody-mouth blue-horned evil-eyed Cougar devil icon sounds really funny to me too!



Another is a Cougar with red feathers sticking out of his mouth. I saw this on a t-shirt, symbolic of BYU (and Cosmo) beating (and eating) the U (and Swoop), and it made me laugh!
S
Sammich
Some more progress, making all the others more readable now:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Icons2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm definitely planning on a devil cougar. And I like the idea of the red feathers in the mouth too (whether part of the devil cougar or not remains to be seen)
M
Mars
http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs34/f/2008/308/2/8/The_Lion_King___Scar_by_joh_wee.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Sammich
Here's the latest versions, this time I saved them as .gif files so the admin could test them out and see if they actually work with the board. I'd really like critical feedback on these (be unkind if necessary), so please let me know what you like and don't like. I included my own comments of things I'm still planning to do so your comments won't be redundant with what I'm already going to do.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Whistling-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Mouth isn't readable enough



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sulking.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Skeptic.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Facial expression isn't reading enough and the eyes look like they're looking different directions



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sick-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> This one's working alright but I need to clean up the edges



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/utard-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> The face is still a bit unreadable and he looks a little too intelligent.



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sad-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Not sad enough? Maybe I'll lay the ears flatter and make the frown more obvious



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Love.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Hearts still aren't reading, maybe I'll replace the eyes with hearts like the icon from CB



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Gross.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Doesn't look freaked out enough. Still working on this expression



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Grin-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Grin isn't cheesy enough yet, but I don't know what to do yet. Still trying some different things



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Evil.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">Can't read the horns, and I might mess with the mouth/nose a little still



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Bugeyes.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Blush-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Looks more sad than embarrassed



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Angry-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Frown not prominent enough?



Icons I haven't redone with the new proportions yet:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Smile-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Excited.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Cool-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Icons I'm still planning to do:

Wink

Crazy

Sticking out tongue

Rolling Eyes

Whoops? (these question marks are maybes)

Laughing?

Red feathers in mouth?



If you have any suggestions for icons post them now so I can put them in my to-do list.
S
Sammich
Hmmm, do they look a little too big? I can try shrinking them down a little more but we're going to start losing detail.
Advertisement
G
Guest
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Whistling-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> a little bit more on the mouth would be good



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sulking.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> I like this guy!



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Skeptic.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> This guy works for me, maybe a little more refinement



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sick-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Like you said, the edge is a little messy, but other than that he's looking really sick



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/utard-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> The utardier the better!



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sad-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> almost looks surprised, rather than sad. Could a tear be placed in there?



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Love.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> I wonder if a bit of a grin would help bring this together?



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Gross.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> I agree with you, but I don't know that I have any constructive criticism to help, keep trying, he's good, but maybe not quite there yet, open mouth?



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Grin-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> It would be cool if he had two little fangs in his teeth



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Evil.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">I think this guy definitely needs two fangs, like a vampire



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Bugeyes.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> cleanup the edges a bit and I think he looks sharp



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Blush-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Like it



http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Angry-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> I think I like this guy the way he is



Icons I haven't redone with the new proportions yet:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Smile-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Excited.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Cool-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> Like them


Sammich wrote:

Icons I'm still planning to do:

Wink

Crazy

Sticking out tongue

Rolling Eyes

Whoops? (these question marks are maybes)

Laughing?

Red feathers in mouth?



If you have any suggestions for icons post them now so I can put them in my to-do list.


I like your plans, the red feathers in mouth is one I'm definitely looking forward to.
A
ABYUFAN
I nominate Sammich as "man of the year" for his work on these. I really have no suggestions other than the idea that the "wink" guy to use the grin from the grin guy in connection with the wink...
S
Sammich
Okay, here are some fixes and additions. These are also two pixels smaller, we'll see if the difference is negligible or not:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Wink-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Whoops.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Whistling-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Smile-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Skeptic-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sick-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Sad-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Love-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Grin-4.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Feathers.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Eyeroll.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Evil-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Cool-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Bugeyes-1.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Blush-3.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Angry-2.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



One quick question for the Hawkwing or anyone who knows about this board format: Do they have to be .gif files or can I use .png if I want?
K
kiwibacon
I like all the revisements. They look pretty clean and not much from me as far as "improvement" for the most recent revisions.



Thanks again for your work.
K
Kbear
really cool thanks Sammich
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.