Archived Topic

Might be a tough year this year

by Lawboy · 11/12/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Going from Jimmer and Emery to this guard combo is a massively huge drop in skill, composure, situational awareness and scoring. And the fact that Coach Rose did not even put Winder or Martineau in the game tells me he has little faith in either guy. Zylstra will not get it done at point. If he is what BYU has to rely on this year, the road losses are going to pile up. Carlino is still young and untested, too. This team is a year away.
J
JamieVallen
Lawboy wrote:
Going from Jimmer and Emery to this guard combo is a massively huge drop in skill, composure, situational awareness and scoring. And the fact that Coach Rose did not even put Winder or Martineau in the game tells me he has little faith in either guy. Zylstra will not get it done at point. If he is what BYU has to rely on this year, the road losses are going to pile up. Carlino is still young and untested, too. This team is a year away.

Definitely agree with you, didnt feel like it was the end of the world when we lost last night I'd rather these guys taste defeat early and learn from it now and keep coming back with more aggressiveness as they learn to win. I think Carlino will eventually be the answer but let's face it the guy isn't going to join and automatically be the next big thing. I wanna see some guys get more experience now I like what I see out of Harrison he makes a lot of mistakes but I think he will eventually be the star of this team he's just got to learn to play at division 1 speed then with more time he will be much more comfortable. I just wish Rodgers would become the player that most of us expected. Don't really know what to say about Zylstra seems like coach rose is just going to squeeze out whatever he can out of him until we can get Carlino, and hopefully we can get some wins... Which the schedule early says yes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
come on now folks. We just lost the BYU all-time steals leader who might have been our score-leader if not for the NCAA player of the YEAR and NCAA scoring leader on our BYU team last year.



seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.
B
BroncoBot
CougarClaw wrote:

seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.

totally agree. If you thought BYU would be a stronger team this year, you have some issues. :)
B
beauso79
declocoug wrote:

seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.

totally agree. If you thought BYU would be a stronger team this year, you have some issues. :)


A drop off in production sure but not a complete lack of ability to run our offense. The 3 ball is severely lacking right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
beauso79 wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:

seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.

totally agree. If you thought BYU would be a stronger team this year, you have some issues. :)


A drop off in production sure but not a complete lack of ability to run our offense. The 3 ball is severely lacking right now because we do not have anybody who can open up the floor



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
And the crowd. I think they just wore our team down. they are one of the most amazing crowds in the country--albeit hatable and crazy and inappropriate. They rival Cameron Crazies.

And they certainly kick our crowd's cheering level and we're pretty good.

BUt like Stew said, He (Z) is not a point guard so we tried to exploit that (or words to that effect).

I think we can get a good one-two punch with noah and Brandon if its schemed correctly. Like the triangle (bulls and lakers), if we could truly go inside-out, we would get more open threes. I really think it depends on Davies steadiness mentally. NOt sure he has it. I know some of you will be mad at that. BUt I hope he gets and keeps it. Otherwise, as/if he fades, our O will fade. We do not have good enough perimeter shooting to run a typical Rose offense. If Carlino pans out, Z could do a good job at the 2, but his D is still a question mark to me.
S
SpiffCoug
beauso79 wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:

seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.

totally agree. If you thought BYU would be a stronger team this year, you have some issues. :)


A drop off in production sure but not a complete lack of ability to run our offense. The 3 ball is severely lacking right now



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I thought we got open looks. Hopefully we can make them in the future.
S
Schmoe
If you guys only knew the deep, dark secrets about how tough this year might be, you probably wouldn't be BYU fans at all. If only you knew...
Y
Yndian
It will be interesting to see the coaches get back into planning/calling actual offensive sets and stuff that don't involve everyone watching Jimmer while he dribbles, shoots and scores.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
If you guys only knew the deep, dark secrets about how tough this year might be, you probably wouldn't be BYU fans at all. If only you knew...

If only..... someone could tell us. I've been shakin in my boots all day wondering what might happen if I can no longer support BYU athletics.
M
Mars


Some of you guys have issues. Sad. Try toning down your pathetic little defense mechanisms, your lives aren't over.
Q
Qman
This is all a overreaction. We lost a close game on the road. Our backcourt is really inexperienced. They will play better.



I was encouraged by our potent our front court is when they get the ball in their spots. Hartsock was very good all night long. Davies was a force in the second half. Abouo was effective around the hoop and with set 3pt shots.



I still believe we have enough talent to earn a NCAA bid. We just need some guards to step up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
We may be an NCAA team. We really need Carlino to be legit, and to get better production from the point. Not Jimmer production, but better production. As an up tempo team, we need a PG--or any guard-- would can handle and dish, and that is lacking right now.



I think by Mid-January we will have a better handle on it. If Winder and Martineau still have few minutes then, that tells a story though.
C
cougarnerd
declocoug wrote:

seriously. we should've expected a seriously drop-off.

totally agree. If you thought BYU would be a stronger team this year, you have some issues. :)


Who would think that we were better this year than last? :skeptic:



BTW, Jimmer's at the game tonight against BYU-H. :D :lol:
Advertisement
G
Gunk
You know something's up with your backcourt when your forwards are leading the team in assists. Noah is averaging 4.5 assists per game and Abuou has 3.0/game.



Zylstra is good for 2 assists a game at this point and averaging 5 turnovers. January can't come soon enough.
B
BYULV
Gunk wrote:
You know something's up with your backcourt when your forwards are leading the team in assists. Noah is averaging 4.5 assists per game and Abuou has 3.0/game.



Zylstra is good for 2 assists a game at this point and averaging 5 turnovers. January can't come soon enough.


Is it January when Carlino is eligible? I thought it was mid December.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
BYULV wrote:
You know something's up with your backcourt when your forwards are leading the team in assists. Noah is averaging 4.5 assists per game and Abuou has 3.0/game.



Zylstra is good for 2 assists a game at this point and averaging 5 turnovers. January can't come soon enough.


Is it January when Carlino is eligible? I thought it was mid December.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He'll be eligible for the Baylor game in December



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
beauso79 wrote:
Gunk wrote:
You know something's up with your backcourt when your forwards are leading the team in assists. Noah is averaging 4.5 assists per game and Abuou has 3.0/game.



Zylstra is good for 2 assists a game at this point and averaging 5 turnovers. January can't come soon enough.


Is it January when Carlino is eligible? I thought it was mid December.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He'll be eligible for the Baylor game in December



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Oh good. Has been allowed to practice with the team? I know it's been asked before. Just can't remember the answer. I thought I read somewhere that he practiced with the team all last season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
he has practiced with the team. He played in the blue & white game. Not sure were going to see a huge boost when he first comes in. I think he's going to need to grow into his role.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.