Archived Topic

BYU - USU game thread

by Brayden Green · 11/12/2011

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Davies has an early foul... frown.



Man that USU crowd is loud!!!



Wish I was watching this live.
B
Brayden Green
2 early fouls, this one an offensive. I wonder if Davies will ever play in an important game for us :whistle:
I
imuakahuku
I sure hope Carlino can dribble because it looks like we have zilch in that department. Deep down low and nothing up top. Not a good mix. And I have to say I am so disappointed in Rogers. Seems to play out of control all the time. Listening to the annoucers talk about how tall the BYU backcourt players are but the other guards just dribble right around them (Rogers and Zylstra).
Q
Qman
Zystra needs to stop playing point guard for the rest of the year. Anyone that can get the ball into the front court is superior.
B
beauso79
Not good. Stupid/costly turnover's and nobody that can fascilitate our offense



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Qman wrote:
Zystra needs to stop playing point guard for the rest of the year. Anyone that can get the ball into the front court is superior.


The upshot is that we only lost by 7, and hopefully Carlino will make a 10+ point difference by his ability to actually run the offense.
S
SpiffCoug
This is a game we win in Provo. USU's inexperienced players would have been the ones making mistakes late. They would have been the ones going cold late.
O
oldestlion
Excuses, excuses, excuses. You got beat. Accept it. Losing is always tough, but give some credit to Utah State.



By the way, did anyone notice that LMU whipped #12 UCLA, away from the Lions' high school gym?
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, that was a sweet win for LMU!



We did get beat. But that's not a game Utah State wins in Provo. When you have two young teams (or teams without a lot of experience in key positions) the advantage goes to the home team who is more comfortable in the arena.
B
Brayden Green
oldestlion wrote:
Excuses, excuses, excuses. You got beat. Accept it. Losing is always tough, but give some credit to Utah State.



By the way, did anyone notice that LMU whipped #12 UCLA, away from the Lions' high school gym?


January 5th can't come soon enough.



I don't often enjoy the methodical stomping of one team over another, but it will be nice just to shut up the trash talk.



Of course I won't be watching in person, because I think your gym is limited to friends and family only of the team, and that they all need to RSVP - first come first serve.



p.s. Nice win over UCLA :)
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Yeah at least Carlino will be able to get the ball up the court and drive the basket. There was absolutely no drive and dish last night.
O
oldestlion
Thanks for the compliment regarding UCLA. I'm not trash talking - it's just that I noticed in this forum that very few BYU fans can accept that, in sports contests, one team outplays another and wins - and that winner isn't always the team you are rooting for. Assuming the winner played by the rules, they should get some credit.



Regarding game tickets, we've played so poorly for so many years that we seldom have a sell-out, except for Gonzaga and perhaps cross-town rival Pepperdine. The stands for the LMU/BYU game will be full of BYU fans who will go to lmulions.com and purchase good tickets at a very reasonable price. Hope to see you there in our cozy high school gym.



P.S. Your Thomas Paine quote is perfect.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Yeah, HOPEFULLY Carlino will be able to get the ball up the court and drive the basket. There was absolutely no drive and dish last night.

Fixed your post for you. Zylstra had a bad night, But it doesn't mean Carlino would have won the game for BYU. I remember Jimmer having some down games as well.
B
Brayden Green
oldestlion wrote:
Thanks for the compliment regarding UCLA. I'm not trash talking - it's just that I noticed in this forum that very few BYU fans can accept that, in sports contests, one team outplays another and wins - and that winner isn't always the team you are rooting for. Assuming the winner played by the rules, they should get some credit.



Regarding game tickets, we've played so poorly for so many years that we seldom have a sell-out, except for Gonzaga and perhaps cross-town rival Pepperdine. The stands for the LMU/BYU game will be full of BYU fans who will go to lmulions.com and purchase good tickets at a very reasonable price. Hope to see you there in our cozy high school gym.



P.S. Your Thomas Paine quote is perfect.


Thanks, and noted. I think that you will find most fans on any forum unable to accept a loss for what it is. I don't think you will find many people saying that we didn't outplay USU last night.



They did. We lost. end of story.



I'm just kidding around about the gym size thing. If we didn't use our arena (Marriot Center) for church functions regularly, we would have a small one too. The evidence: We have had a top 5 volleyball program for much of the last 15 years, and our vball "gym" is just barely bigger than an elementary cafeteria.



It does speak volumes about our program and fans that we pack that thing all 21,000 some odd seats full though. :)
B
BroncoBot
oldestlion wrote:
Thanks for the compliment regarding UCLA. I'm not trash talking - it's just that I noticed in this forum that very few BYU fans can accept that, in sports contests, one team outplays another and wins - and that winner isn't always the team you are rooting for. Assuming the winner played by the rules, they should get some credit.



Regarding game tickets, we've played so poorly for so many years that we seldom have a sell-out, except for Gonzaga and perhaps cross-town rival Pepperdine. The stands for the LMU/BYU game will be full of BYU fans who will go to lmulions.com and purchase good tickets at a very reasonable price. Hope to see you there in our cozy high school gym.



P.S. Your Thomas Paine quote is perfect.

BYU's loss last night was because USU clearly outplayed BYU. Even when the game was close I felt like USU was more in control and it was just a matter of time before the Aggies went on a run that BYU couldn't overcome. Eventually USU got their chance and made the most of it. All I know is that USU>BYU right now.



I'd love to start a 1-1 series every season with USU (wasn't there rumors about this?) It would sell out, is usually a close game, and it would end the whole "where to play games". And if Stew doesn't want to do that, he's a wuss.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I haven't seen anyone making excuses for last night's loss beyond our players just not playing as well as they're able.
S
scott715
a home and away would improve our SOS and theirs too. Even Weber St would improve it.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Excuses, excuses, excuses. You got beat. Accept it. Losing is always tough, but give some credit to Utah State.



By the way, did anyone notice that LMU whipped #12 UCLA, away from the Lions' high school gym?


January 5th can't come soon enough.



I don't often enjoy the methodical stomping of one team over another, but it will be nice just to shut up the trash talk.



Of course I won't be watching in person, because I think your gym is limited to friends and family only of the team, and that they all need to RSVP - first come first serve.



p.s. Nice win over UCLA :)

I'm not assuming any wins this year after the Dixie and USU games. And USU is more vulnerable than they have been for years and BYU still couldn't find a way to win the game.



Oldest, very nice win over UCLA, nice to have conference brothers pull their weight.
Q
Qman
Things I learned:



Zylstra cannot bring ball into the front court and run the offense against heavy pressure.



Hartsock has improved his overall game.



Abouo is very effective from his spots. He is a poor shot waiting to happen everywhere else on the court. He isn't quick enough to guard to point guards.



Rodgers is great for 5 minutes and dissappears for 15. He needs to gamble less on D.



Austin and Sharp gave us good minutes when Davies had foul trouble. Collinsworth was a step slow and took a really bad 3.



Cusick did okay. The ball got to the right spots.



Harrison needs time to adjust to the college game.



I think we need to play a better ballhandler when the other team applies pressure. That could be Winder or Martineau. If we have wait for Carlino this could be a long season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Things I learned:



Zylstra cannot bring ball into the front court and run the offense against heavy pressure.



Hartsock has improved his overall game.



Abouo is very effective from his spots. He is a poor shot waiting to happen everywhere else on the court. He isn't quick enough to guard to point guards.



Rodgers is great for 5 minutes and dissappears for 15. He needs to gamble less on D.



Austin and Sharp gave us good minutes when Davies had foul trouble. Collinsworth was a step slow and took a really bad 3.



Cusick did okay. The ball got to the right spots.



Harrison needs time to adjust to the college game.



I think we need to play a better ballhandler when the other team applies pressure. That could be Winder or Martineau. If we have wait for Carlino this could be a long season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.